do i need to use a towel in the weightroom?

Options
i saw a picture on instagram where the gym rules were if you dont use a towel in the weightroom you will be asked to leave.

whut?

i dont exactly sweat buckets but i always wipe down the benches after i use them. am i supposed to lay a towel down where my butt sits?

Replies

• 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I used to clean other peoples *kitten* sweat and I would say just wipe down when you're done.
  • Live4theLift
    Options
    Your gym?? or just a random gym on instagram? My gym just says to clean off the machines when your done. They provide the cleaner and such.
  • That_car_is_full_of_balloons
    Options
    it was a random gym. but it was a chain gym (golds).

never saw that rule before.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    it was a random gym. but it was a chain gym (golds).

never saw that rule before.

I can pretty much assure you that not all Gold's (none that I have ever been to) have such a rule. Gold's, like most gyms these days, are actually franchises, and not prone to all kind of weirdness between locations.
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Being asked to leave is a bit much, but I really don't see the issue. It's just to make sure that it's kept nice in between people using it, and if you're wiping after yourself then I don't see a problem.
  • IamAfit1
    IamAfit1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Placing a towel down on the equipment is a weight room courtesy. It just helps keep the upholstery last a little longer and minimizes the spread of germs. You may wipe down when you are done but did the person before you?
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd rather people use the spray and paper towels at least my gym provides. Other than wiping up puddles of sweat all a towel does is push bacteria around. Kinda why I wipe everything down before and after I use it. Other people's sweat is just gross.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Nobody does in my Golds...I think it's growdie...I always have one.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    i saw a picture on instagram where the gym rules were if you dont use a towel in the weightroom you will be asked to leave.

whut?

i dont exactly sweat buckets but i always wipe down the benches after i use them. am i supposed to lay a towel down where my butt sits?

Could be that they are worried about getting sued if someone develops MRSA (Methicillin-resistant-Staphyococcus Aureus). It is a particularly nasty skin infection that seems to be going around in some gyms these days. To protect yourself, it is always best to use the antibacterial spray and wipe the equipment down well.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

whut?

Could be that they are worried about getting sued if someone develops MRSA (Methicillin-resistant-Staphyococcus Aureus). It is a particularly nasty skin infection that seems to be going around in some gyms these days. To protect yourself, it is always best to use the antibacterial spray and wipe the equipment down well.

Yeah...if you don't know what MRSA is, do a google image search. You'll use the spray every single time after that.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options

whut?

Yeah...if you don't know what MRSA is, do a google image search. You'll use the spray every single time after that.

I just googled MRSA... ewwwwwwwwwww.
  • everysn0wflake
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

omg never again will i leave the weight room without disinfecting it