Heartrate + Body Weight = Calories Burned?

Options
Just a general couple questions:

Does a heavier person burn more calories doing the same cardio workout than a lighter person? For example, lets say myself, a 26 year old male who weighs 205 running on the treadmill at the same speed/incline would burn more calories than someone weighing 180 calories (same age/height etc)?

Also, does heart rate have anything to do with the amount of calories burned? The faster the heart rate, the more calories you burn? Or am I mistaken?

-Thanks

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Does a heavier person burn more calories doing the same cardio workout than a lighter person? For example, lets say myself, a 26 year old male who weighs 205 running on the treadmill at the same speed/incline would burn more calories than someone weighing 180 calories (same age/height etc)?
    For weight bearing exercise like running that is true. For non weight bearing exercise like cycling or swimming not so much.
    Also, does heart rate have anything to do with the amount of calories burned? The faster the heart rate, the more calories you burn? Or am I mistaken?
    Higher workload equals higher calorie burn. A higher heartrate reflects the higher workload being performed by the body.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Higher workload equals higher calorie burn. A higher heartrate reflects the higher workload being performed by the body.

This definitely. I have a HRM and I have found when I'm not working as hard -- meaning my HR isn't getting up close to where I have the "max" set -- then my calorie burn is a lot less than if I'm close to or over my "max".
  • kalfusisagod
    kalfusisagod Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guy for the replies! I guess the weight bearing exercises makes sense because you're carrying your body around (running).
  • Zoemarie89
    Options
    It definitely makes a difference! I once worked out with two girls, one of which was about 28lbs overweight - while myself and the other girl were of a similar size of a healthy BMI. We burned about 500/600 calories in an hour, the other girl was burning over 1,000! So yes, definitely makes a difference!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    For weight bearing exercise like running that is true. For non weight bearing exercise like cycling or swimming not so much.

This just doesn't make any sense. Newton's second law of motion doesn't change when you step on a bike or get in water.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience, I burned a LOT more calories when I was heavier. Whether it was walking, biking, swimming or water aerobics. It takes more effort to move something that is heavier, plus your body gets hot faster. Even now, according to my HRM, I burn a LOT more calories if it's hot out, compared to a cooler day. I also burn more cals if I use my treadmill without opening the window and running a fan or if I wear sweatpants instead of Under Armour or running shorts!
    When I weighed 179, it took 10 steps to get my heart rate up to 160. Now it takes 20-25 minutes to get that high while jogging.
    And, I'll add that my husband, who weighs about 200lbs, hikes, walks, etc. with me. We both wear HRM's and he ALWAYS burns more, even though his heart rate stays lower than mine the entire time. I guess it's because our weight and height is programmed into the HRMs.
    So yeah, a higher heart rate burns more, as does more weight.
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    The same is true for cycling (at least on a real bike). The more weighted down I am, the harder it is to propel and that results in more effort and a higher heartrate.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Calories burned depend intensity and weight.
    Heart rate can be an indicator of intensity however heart rate is not directly related to calories burned. Higher heart rate does not always mean higher calories burned. If I do the same run as someone else who is the same weight with a lower heartrate, we still burn same calories even if my heart rate was higher.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience, I burned a LOT more calories when I was heavier. Whether it was walking, biking, swimming or water aerobics. It takes more effort to move something that is heavier, plus your body gets hot faster. Even now, according to my HRM, I burn a LOT more calories if it's hot out, compared to a cooler day. I also burn more cals if I use my treadmill without opening the window and running a fan or if I wear sweatpants instead of Under Armour or running shorts!
    When I weighed 179, it took 10 steps to get my heart rate up to 160. Now it takes 20-25 minutes to get that high while jogging.
    And, I'll add that my husband, who weighs about 200lbs, hikes, walks, etc. with me. We both wear HRM's and he ALWAYS burns more, even though his heart rate stays lower than mine the entire time. I guess it's because our weight and height is programmed into the HRMs.
    So yeah, a higher heart rate burns more, as does more weight.

You are not burning more calories in the heat. This is one of the factors that can affect accuracy of HRMs. The higher heart rate due to the heat is inflating the calorie estimate.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

You will get higher calorie readings when heart rate is up, but that does not mean it is correct.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    A lot of things affect the calories burned. Size is definitely a factor, especially (not excluding, as someone said) for running. Throw on a 40 lb weight vest and go for a jog - you'll work a lot harder.
    The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn as well. So two people, both weighing 200 lbs, won't necessarily burn the same calories.