Energy

Options
I have been trying to eat better and exercise. I currently take a multi-vitamin and Vit B in the morning to help with energy. However, I never seem to have any energy. I try to get up in the morning to work out and can never seem to get up (I've never been a morning person). If I leave it until after work I'm generally worn out after work. I do have a pretty physical job and am on my feet most of the day which helps, but I need the actual exercise. I know that if I work out, it should help with the energy but how do I get the initial energy???

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    OP, just make sure you're eating ENOUGH. Don't buy into any crap miracle products. Eat enough, exercise, get enough rest.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    What trog said.

Also - how long have you been trying to work out? If this is new, you may find that you just need to give it a week or so.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you got to eat enough. I eat my exercise calories and have tons of energy. I sleep like a baby. If you are doing that, you may need to see a doctor.
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    Actually if your vitamin D is low you will notice a lack of energy. I was complaining of that to my doc and he checked. sure enough way low level. Put me on mega dose and maitnenance, now working out, walking and just more energetic. Vitamin D does a lot and many people don't get the required amount, especially in the winter.

this article doesn't particularly address vitamin D and fatique, but you can see the wide range of impact it has on our body.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-929-VITAMIN D.aspx?activeIngredientId=929&activeIngredientName=VITAMIN D
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I also suggest a regular sleep pattern. I know that I sound a bit like a party-pooper, but pretty much every night (even weekends), I am in bed between 9:30 and 10 and constantly get up at 5 a.m. because that's what time I get up for work. I even get up at 5 a.m. on the weekends. I found that this had the most profound effect on my energy because now if I deviate from it, it does drain me.
  • lstatler1
    lstatler1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I normally get about 8 hours of sleep a night. I am unable to completely regulate my sleeping pattern because I am on call about 2 nights a week and may potentially have to interrupt my sleep. Normally, I try to go to bed by 10 pm and up by 6 am, but it's normally 6:30 or 6:45 before I can drag myself out of bed. I generally sleep very well. I am currently eating enough. If I am low, it is only by about 100 cal. I did see a Dr. and they couldn't find anything wrong (but I didn't have them check my Vit D). I have been trying for about 2 mon now for the exercise. I have spurts where I find energy to do it, but it is very sporadic. Thanks for all the advice so far.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    What is your idea of eating enough? A lot of people have themselves set up for failure by putting too high of a weekly loss goal in. I had mine set to 2 lbs a week for a long time and it wasn't till I swapped it to just 1/2 a lb a week that my energy levels perked back up! Try to get to bed earlier too, so you get in your 8 hours :)
  • traceymccune
    Options
    I started juicing in December and I have noticed a huge difference in my energy level. I'm not fasting or doing anything extreme, just having one glass of fresh fruit/veggie juice a day and trying to eat right. I haven't had a nap since (I was once told I was napping my life away lol). Even on the days I don't do so hot on the eating, I still get my daily fruit and vegetable servings. Giving your body what it needs really does make a difference! Only bad thing is it can be a little costly, but it is definitely worth a try.
  • Dee9384
    Options
    Wow thats interesting as i have the exact same problem with regards to exercise i have set my alarm for 5.30 numerous times and just can never get up! And i feel the same as you when i finish work i just dont have the motiviation in me to do it. But whats even more interesting is that i have just been diagnosed as being vitamin D insufficient and am starting on the supplements. Hopefully this fixes the lack of energy problem.
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    What do you do for work? Do you work by yourself? Maybe you can take some dumb bells or resistance bands with you and sneak in a few sets here and there throughout the day?