Story for those who are not/never satisfied

Options
So a lot of us lost a lot of weight. And some, like me (I dropped 53 pounds in 7 months) are still not satisfied.
I still see that belly, I still hate it, and to me I look exactly the same, only in smaller proportions. Even though I had to punch 4 extra holes in my belt!

A friend of mine told me a story. He has a friend who worked in some science museum, and one of his colleagues, a girl in her 20's, started taking care of herself, and during the year, she lost an enormous amount of weight. I don't know how much, but it was significant.

But she was not satisfied with it. She kept saying she was still fat, even though she had to change her entire wardrobe. But people at her job were all amazed of her progress.

One day, someone at work asked her to move a box. "Please just put it over there, I'll be back in 2min".

She couldn't lift the box, and she had no tool to help moving it. She had to get on her knees, but it was still too heavy. She sat, and pushed the box with her back, with her shoulders, and whatever.

When she was done, her colleagues were all watching her. "Why did you make me move that for? What's this box anyway? You could have helped."

The colleagues replied "This box is exactly the amount of weight you lost since last year."

I don't know if the girl stopped complaining, but I heard she was amazed.

I tried to do something similar. I went to the grocery store, and took 5 huge 10lbs bags of potatoes, and put them in a cart (with a small bag of onions, for the 3 lbs). And I just pushed the cart randomly in the grocery store. 53 pounds is very heavy!

Do you have a story like that? Do you have tricks to become aware of the weight you lost?

Replies

• sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Awesome story and great analogy!!! Thanks for sharing and just for the record....53 lbs is HUGE! Congrats!!!! Keep up the great work! :smile:
  • Trollivier
    Trollivier Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Will do :D
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I don't have a story like that but my brother encouraged me to try doing my walks with a backpack full of the weight I had been losing. I thought he was kind of nuts, because that would get heavy pretty fast. Then thought about it - I HAD been walking around with that much weight all the time. Kind of eye opening. Relieving too, as it definitely reinforces my intentions to never go back to my heaviest weight, and once I get under 200 I WILL stay under 200.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I love this! I have only lost 8 so far, but I have eight lbs dumbells and walking around everywhere with that makes me feel like I have made progress even though I dont see it yet.
  • Bump. Great idea!
  • janzia
    janzia Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful way to put it into perspective, thank you!
  • nicolehook1
    Options
    Great perspective !
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Weighted vests are great for this. The only problem is that the heaviest ones I can find are only 40 lbs., so for people who have lost a LOT of weight, you'd need a couple...or a few of them.
  • breadedpudding
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that wonderful analogy. It's something that I think I'll share with my brother at some point. He's also having trouble believing he's lost any weight, and while I've done my best to encourage him to keep going, I think having some kind of physical reference, like the one in your story, might help him a little (it's certainly something I want to try and do for myself when I've lost a little more).
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    holy cow that is a great story ... I will refer back to that one frequently!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Great story - it takes a while for your brain to catch on that the weight has gone. I am going to show this to someone at work who has lost weight but can't "see" it :-) Can't wait to go the supermarket and load it up with potatoes to match my own weight loss :laugh:
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    This certainly gave me a jolt when thinking how much I have lost :happy:

Great post and well done OP

Andy
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    An unfortunate side effect of modern english is that single words get layered with multiple meanings, and then it becomes hard to differentiate whats going on.

Ive lost over 60 lbs, but I still push myself very hard. Im not thrilled about all the fat around my waist either. People tell me all the time that I should be happy with the changes that have happened.

Heres the reality, and it comes down to a single word choice:

I am happy with where I am, but I am not content.

Just because I desire something more doesnt mean Im not happy. Once I understood the difference between happiness and contentment it made pushing myself further much easier to accept.
  • Zoemarie89
    Options
    That is an awesome story! I will definitely keep it in mind :)
    Well done and keep going, you've obviously done so well it would be brilliant to see you achieve your goals :)
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That's pretty cool. i tried somwthing similar after I lost 50lbs. I took some canned goods from the pantry (to the sum of 50lbs) and put them in a bag. Tried lifting it and nearly put my back out! I'm quote strong too lol. I still have a long way to go but I ca'nt imagine being able to move the weight I will have lost by then (180+). Going to be good to try though :-) I know what you mean about being disheartened though. The body may change but not always the mind. You've done so well, stay positive!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I'm going to pick up the 30lb weights tomorrow morning so I can see how much I lost.

I also really love the happy versus content comment from the previous poster. That's what I am.. happy but not content. I want to be as good as I can be! So I'll keep doing what I need to do.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Bump! Awesome idea. :)
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I use to do this with a weighted suit but when my loss became more than 50lbs now I do it withy old military combat bag, just load it up and use a suitcase scale to get the right weight. Then I wear it around for an hour, it's amazing how great you feel when you takeit off, as if the weight of the world is lifted off your shoulders.
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    wow, great post. Nice way of thinking!
    I've lost 25 pounds, that's one pound light of carrying around two Virgin Atlantic hand luggage cases!
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    Options
    OP, thanks for this! :smile: