whats worse going over on carbs or fat?

Options
whats worse going over on carbs or fat? i know both r just as bad but just curious.....

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Neither is bad unless you're talking about unhealthy fats. Concentrate first on staying within your calorie goal and eating a well balanced diet of carbs/fats/protien: the actual percentages vary according to personal preferance. Some people prefer high protien, other high fat, others low carb.....in the end it's up to you and how your body responds.

If you're over on one and under on another there's very little difference. Essentially, regardless of what kind of calories you're eating, if you have a surplus, you're body will convert it to fat.

Contrary to popular belief:

Fats do not make you fat. In fact they are essential to good health.

Carbs do not make you fat. Again, essential to good health.

Only a surplus of calories of any kind will contribute to fat stores.

Really.
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I don't know which is worse, but I (personally) try to stick to low carb, high protein, so I am always over on fat, though not by much. I typically eat less than half of my carbs, but I eat a lot of eggs, cheese, nuts, steak on my salad (refuse to give that up), so my fat is always over by a few
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    My personal belief is that.................. I have gatheredd this from my own reading and research and what I have learned from a naturopathic doctor.

Fats (natural fats - olive oil, animal fats, grapeseed oil) are good for you. Trans fats and PUFAS (vegetable oils) are bad for you...........

Carbs - Depends on the source of the carbs. Vegetables in great abundance, fruits should be in moderation and grains should be limited (again just how I feel)

I don't count calories at all, I only go by carbs. I have been keeping my carbs between 14 and 30 this week and have been able to lose almost 5 pounds so far. Will see exactly what the amount is on Monday when I weigh in.
  • kateyb
    kateyb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Depends why you're asking, fo health or weightloss. For weightloss going over on your carbs is worse than going over on your fats, as long as the fat came from healthy sources (meat, dairy, nuts etc). This isn't my own opinion but advice I was given by two personal trainers and a nutritionalist. All 3 advised me that to maximise weightloss I should aim to be eating a low carb high protein diet (not as drastic as atkins though) which coincidentally happens to involve more fats that the MFP allowance recommend. I actually printed out my goals from MFP and a weeks food diary to take along, and all 3 took one look at the Carbs allowance and said thats too much. If your carbs are just coming from veg and the 'good' carbs then it's fine but you'd be hard pushed to eat 140 odd grams of carbs just through veg each day!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My personal belief is that.................. I have gatheredd this from my own reading and research and what I have learned from a naturopathic doctor.

Fats (natural fats - olive oil, animal fats, grapeseed oil) are good for you. Trans fats and PUFAS (vegetable oils) are bad for you...........

I don't quite agree with your good fats list, most animal fat contain saturated fat, which is not healthy and should be limited, but not completely avoided. Fats that are healthy are polyunsaturated and monounsaturated, especially omega 3 and omega 6.
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    IMO, if you're going over because of "bad" carbs (processed) or "bad" fats (transfats), that's what I would be more concerned about. I tend to be under on my carbs and over on my protein and fats everyday.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

I don't quite agree with your good fats list, most animal fat contain saturated fat, which is not healthy and should be limited, but not completely avoided. Fats that are healthy are polyunsaturated and monounsaturated, especially omega 3 and omega 6.

I can provide the proof that PUFA's are very bad for you where as natural fats from animals are healthier for you, saturated fats are not bad for you. Omega 6 are very bad for you too.

You can believe what you have been taught to believe though, it is not my job to persuade you, I will just continue to put the proof out there.