What do you do about cravings?

Options
I'm curious about what others do to sidestep cravings for certain foods, more so those that could be classified as junk. Right now, I'm finishing up my first week on the site, and I'm having some cravings and food urges. I'm not wanting to ruin the progress I've made so far though (however little it might be), and I've had issues with food for most of my life (including using it to punish and comfort myself), so I'm not entirely sure whats some good alternative options would be.

Replies

• ginsmar
    ginsmar Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started this process of changing the way I was eating and living just over a year ago, and too thought about the few things that I would crave. Now I plan these and work an exercise program into my week, to enable to have them once in awile. For example, Saturday night is "chip night" at our house and I will have them, and I have worked an exercise amount that will cancedl out the calories and more of the chips, I have a few more foods like this, but it does take planning.
    so far this year I am down 109lbs, had lots to lose, but site really works for me. I find switching from coffee (sorry Tim's) and pop to water, (minimum 10 cups per day), has helped immensely.
    cravings are always there, just takes moderation and planning,
    PS my chips after a year, have become a craving for grapefruit, odd, huh......
  • Tina0926
    Options
    I've been to that rodeo before where you say no I can't eat that!!! This time is different because I'm like..oh I can eat that but I have to manage it with my calories and workout. If you deprive 100% cravings chances are you might fall off the wagon and go back to old habits, but if you have those things in moderation and plan for them...you keep your head in the game..the weight loss game...that game I hate to play...but I'm gonna WIN this time!!! I hope this helps..KEEP IT UP!!!
  • unworthyservant12
    unworthyservant12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I usually just eat what I'm craving, because I can't handle it! The only way I have found myself able to ignore it is to literally walk away, like out of my apartment and go for a walk, so I'm far away from the food. Then, by the time I get back I forget about it and am more thirsty than hungry =)
  • volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving sweet, I'll have pineapple. Salty - a rice cake with peanut butter. Dessert-like - lime yogurt (it's delicious). All of these are low cal...

Basically, I just try to figure out what taste I'm after, and find a low-cal alternative..
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    What works varies from person to person. I tried moderation and I failed miserably at it. I either slipped up and pigged out on everything for a day or days or even weeks before pulling myself back together, or I was really irritable because I was spending too much energy resisting the cravings. So I cut all the foods I craved out and all the foods that triggered the cravings.

I see this as a last resort really. It makes for a very restricted menu. I do wish I could have a slice of chocolate cake now and then or a bag of chips but it just isn't worth the aggravation of my brain pestering me constantly afterward for more more MORE!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Eat a little of what you're craving. Dont scarf the whole thing down.

If that doesnt work for you ( like me...i would eat an entire pie if it was up to me)....then substitute the craving for something that tastes similar but isnt so bad for you...sweet for sweet and salty for salty....

or chug a big glass of water and see how you feel.
  • jnzema
    jnzema Posts: 24
    Options
    For the first two weeks I was cutting out my snacking I substituted tea, drowned myself in it. Working from home I used getting a snack as a way to take a break, so I needed something more than water. Spending time brewing the tea gave me several minutes away from my desk. After those really strict weeks I stopped being hungry so often, and could plan a small portion of dessert into my diet once a week or so - although I limited it to times when we were out at a restaurant or visiting friends so the temptation wasn't in my house.

Now I am doing a lot better and have brought desserts home for my husband. After a month and a half without desserts I really taste all the artificial flavors and the heaviness of them, which makes it easier.
  • estrobabe
    estrobabe Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If I have a sweet craving, I might snack on PB or crackers and PB or honey. Sometimes I might even have a little cereal or oatmeal just to have something "sweet" and then down a bunch of water so it can keep me satisfied for a bit :)
  • faywouk
    faywouk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I see how many calories I have left after supper, and allow myself a cookie, or a square of chocolate, or something similar, as long as I am within my daily limit. I manage to have one small sweet thing most evenings, and that gets me through.