Too Splenda or Not!

Options
What can i put in my tea too sweeten it up? that's healthy. think i am going to try plain old unsweetened tea!!

Replies

• MyKidzMom
    MyKidzMom Posts: 97
    Options
    I use Splenda. There are no calories.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you're talking green or white tea then it is supposed to be plain. I used to drink black tea with sugar & milk but years ago stopped using the sugar & found the true taste pleasant. If you absolutely have to use a sweetener, try Raw Blue Agave Nectar by Wholesome, it's natural whereas most artificial sweeteners are just that, artificial, made with chemicals, blahhhhhhh!

151232.png
  • tiffaniball06
    Options
    I go to a natural doctor instead of one who practices westeren meds and he told me that splenda isn't that great for you he has me use either raw honey, agave necter, or stevia. the honey and the agave nectar are at walmart. im pretty sure the stevia is too but if not, you can deffinately find it at a health food store
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Not.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I like splenda but I prefer truvia - it's made from Stevia.
  • akgrant
    akgrant Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I usually have mine plain too but when I need a little something, I use honey. 1 teaspoon is about 22 calories but i use less than sugar and it is less processed than sugar. I don't like artifical sweetener at all! I figure if I can't have it when I'm pregnant then it's not good for me when I'm not! I don't even drink diet sodas.
  • howellmk
    howellmk Posts: 1
    Options
    NOT! Artificial sweeteners signal to your taste buds, “Sweet stuff has arrived,” which is translated to the brain as, “Nutrition has arrived.” When the artificial sweetener reaches the small intestine, the receptors find no nutrition and send a
    message back to the brain, saying, “We’ve been tricked. There’s no nutrition here.” The appestat (the part of your brain that triggers satiety) therefore signals to “keep eating … to help process all this nonfood” and keep the body functioning (Chek
    2004, 76).
    And according to ISabel De Los Rios, who is the author of the Diet Solution Program "A wonderful natural alternative to both sugar and artificial sweeteners is an herb called stevia. Extraordinarily sweet (200–300 times sweeter than sugar),
    stevia also is almost free of calories, so it is perfect for people who are watching their weight. Unlike sugar, it doesn’t trigger a rise in blood sugar, so you won’t experience a sudden increase in insulin levels. Because insulin levels and blood sugar are not affected, you won’t experience a burst of energy followed by fatigue and cravings."
  • hollymires
    hollymires Posts: 117
    Options
    Splenda may not be completely healthy...I use it all the time and love it. I can't imagine not using it. I am too stubborn to quit! hahaha
  • kalebsmama07
    kalebsmama07 Posts: 503
    Options
    i love splenda theres so after taste n i cannot live without sugar of sum sort and sum times i dont use splenda...try using honey to sweeten tea
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I would get yourself acclimated to "plain old unsweetened" and just use a tiny bit of real sweetener (sugar, honey) when you really need something. I guess I would just rather wean myself off of added sugars than try to just replace them.
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!!!!! i luuuuuv this speartmint green tea and can't imagine it plain! Ok, so today i'll use splenda one last time. I will try the agave nectart this weekend and see what the dealy is lol! I am an internet junkie, so i'll research it today (the agave that is)
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    i use sweet and low because i like it, it's pink, and the aftertaste isn't nearly as bad as some of the other "alternatives." i would rather drink unsweetened tea straight than using Splenda or Equal.

however... i have been unsuccessful in finding a sweetner that will displace properly when making a large "batch" of sweet tea (i'm from Texas, it's required here) Sweet 'N' Low is entirely too sweet, it takes too much Splenda to sweeten a gallon or two, and Equal is disgusting. haven't tried honey or Stevia, but i'm wondering how strong the taste of honey would be when serving tea to guests.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    i use sweet and low because i like it, it's pink, and the aftertaste isn't nearly as bad as some of the other "alternatives." i would rather drink unsweetened tea straight than using Splenda or Equal.

however... i have been unsuccessful in finding a sweetner that will displace properly when making a large "batch" of sweet tea (i'm from Texas, it's required here) Sweet 'N' Low is entirely too sweet, it takes too much Splenda to sweeten a gallon or two, and Equal is disgusting. haven't tried honey or Stevia, but i'm wondering how strong the taste of honey would be when serving tea to guests.

Sweet tea is also a requirement in Georgia. I don't know if you have publix supermarkets in Texas but they sell the best sweet tea with splenda. It's usually in their deli section and is the publix brand. But I did eventually learn that to make it at home it's best to make unsweet and sweeten one glass at a time with splenda when I drink it. And the granular works better than the packets.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    thanks very much sandara! that helps. we don't have a publix, but we have way too many Chicken Express(es) and usually when we're with a bunch of people, if someone hasn't already made tea, then someone else is bound to bring some chicken express sweet tea. that stuff is sweet enough to pour over pancakes omg!!!!!
    i guess i will have to break down and try the Splenda in my tea.... :drinker: lol
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    NOT! Artificial sweeteners signal to your taste buds, “Sweet stuff has arrived,” which is translated to the brain as, “Nutrition has arrived.” When the artificial sweetener reaches the small intestine, the receptors find no nutrition and send a
    message back to the brain, saying, “We’ve been tricked. There’s no nutrition here.” The appestat (the part of your brain that triggers satiety) therefore signals to “keep eating … to help process all this nonfood” and keep the body functioning (Chek
    2004, 76).
    And according to ISabel De Los Rios, who is the author of the Diet Solution Program "A wonderful natural alternative to both sugar and artificial sweeteners is an herb called stevia. Extraordinarily sweet (200–300 times sweeter than sugar),
    stevia also is almost free of calories, so it is perfect for people who are watching their weight. Unlike sugar, it doesn’t trigger a rise in blood sugar, so you won’t experience a sudden increase in insulin levels. Because insulin levels and blood sugar are not affected, you won’t experience a burst of energy followed by fatigue and cravings."

By this argument when stevia (200 times sweeter) hits your tongue your brain would get that same signal. Just becasue it's "natural" doesn't mean it has any more nutrition. So when your lower intestines find our there's not nutrition it sends the same signal. By this same argument when natural sugar (which has very little nutrition) is consumed it would do the same thing. In fact, anything low in nutrition but sweet would signal your body for more calories. It may be true but then the argument is against eating anything sweet.......not against artificial or natural.

That being said. I'll say no more on the subject. People are very passionate about the artificial/natural sweetener subject and there is not argument that will convince anyone on either side of the fence to change their minds.
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    I use Splenda. There are no calories.

There are actually 4 calories per packet. They are allowed to say "zero calories" if it contains less than 5.

To the OP -

I used to be an avid Splenda user...but have since discovered some ...not so great things about it. I now use Truvia and love it. It very nice. I've even used it sprinkled over Strawberries and it doesn't have that "this is artificial sweetner" taste.