working while keeping up with Diet & Working out???

HEELLLPPPP!!!!

ive lost over 30 pounds a little over a year ago but i was only working part time and spent about 4 hours a day in the gym ....then i got busy with work and cut back on the working out and my diet......then got in a car accident now that my backs better and ive gained almost all the weight back im getting into the healthy life habits again

however this time i have 3 jobs... 1 full time and 2 part time so if anyone has any ideas for ways to make juggling work with work outs and dieting pleasseee let me know cuz this is soooooooo much harder than the last time i was doing this and this time i want to actually reach my goal which is now to 82lbs ....and Maintain it so i don't end up having to start this process again!?!

Replies

• Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    I dont eat dinner until 8pm most nights hitting the gym or going for a jog before prepping. You just have to prioritize. I dont watch TV like I use to. Move when you have the time, like park farther away, do stairs, go for walks during breaks, etc.
  • kristina1709
    kristina1709 Posts: 119 Member
    I work full time 830-530 and I have a 20 month old son so trying to find time for myself was difficult but I recently MADE time. I recently bought a treadmill so I did not have to waste time going back and forth to the gym. During the week I exercise after he goes to bed and on the weekends I can get my runs in in the morning, during nap time or after bed time.

So far its working for me. You just have to MAKE the time. Whether you get up an hour earlier and do it in the morning or do it after work. There is always time. Even if its 20 or 30 minutes. Its still better than nothing! :)

Good luck!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    You don't have to work out 4 hours a day. That's crazy. Start simple-try adding a few minutes of activity when you can. Technically, you don't even need to exercise to lose weight (just consume fewer calories than you burn-mfp gives you that number). If you have limited time-fit in whatever you can. 10 minutes of activity is better than 0. You don't need 4 hours though-not right off the bat (and probably never unless you have specific fitness goals that require that).
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    what time does your day start? do you go directly from job to job, or are there any breaks in there?

when i started getting serious about weight loss, i woke up around 4:20 every morning to run or do a dvd. my work schedule has changed so i can sleep in until 5:30 now, but i still try to work out in the morning. i know morning work outs don't work for everyone, but i would jot down your schedule and see where you have time slots and go from there. schedule the work outs into your calendar, and actually write them in.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    I only work one full time job, but I have 4 kids involved in assorted activities and a hubby who travels a lot for work, meaning I am the only parent around a lot. It is not easy, but you just have to figure out where you can squeeze in time for exercise. It does not have to mean 4 hours spent at the gym. For me, I try to walk on my lunch break, and do some kind of workout video at home when I can find a few minutes. Obviously you might get quicker results spending 4 hours at the gym, but you have to work with what you have, and most people can find 30 minutes here and there to get in a workout.

As far as food goes, planning ahead helps a lot .I spend time during the weekend (usually on Sunday afternoon,preparing a few meals that I can take with me to work during the week so that I know I have good healthy choices.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Do you get a lunch hour? Do you work near a gym or can you go out and walk? I also work two jobs and commute to a different city, so my time is limited.

Every day I go to the gym on my lunch hour. You don't have to workout for 4 hours a day - that's insane! LOL
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    I work full time 8-5 and then go to the gym after work. Classes are at 5:30, 6, or 6:15. I usually get home between 7-7:30. It stinks but you learn to accept it and not care after a while. I'd rather be working out anyway :) My boyfriend is home earlier so he can start dinner, thank god. Just work out anytime you have free time. Even if it's just going for a fast walk or jog.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    An hour of circuit training in your living room (nerdfitness.com has some good ones that don't require any equipment) while you're watching tv can do wonders for helping you get your fitness in.
  • Most days, I leave my house by 5 am and don't get home till almost 10 at night. I got a membership to a 24 hr gym, can go before job#1 or after job#2. I try to set aside a block of time every week (several hours) to grocery shop and then cook up what I can and prep meals in advance for the week. This keeps me from hitting the fast food joints, and allows me to have a decent idea where I'll stand calorie wise throughout the week.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    if you want to do it bad enough you will find a way. not that i ever had much of a social life but fridays i would meet friends for some drinks and laughs but thats pretty much stopped (with winter and busy lives).

i work from 7am - 5pm. my gym opens at 5:30 but by the time i could get my workout in then get home, showered, changed, eat breakfast i would be cutting it way to close (mind you i live 3.5 miles from the job and 2 miles from the gym). the people in the morning tend to want to talk too much for my liking and makes my trips to the gym more a chore than it should be.

i try to leave work between 5-5:15, get home 5-10 minutes later. get changed and at the gym by 5:45. this gives me plenty of time to be out of there by 7:30 at the latest. I really maximize my time there by keeping the chit-chat to a minimum.

I give the worker a heads up when I am 5 minutes from being done so that she can start my shake.

this is m-w-f

tues and thurs i follow the same routine but i do not get to the gym until 7:20. i only do 30 minutes of cardio (again give the nod that i am almost done so my shake can be prepared) and leave the gym to go play basketball from 830-1030 with my friends.

it sucks, but making things a priority can seem like you have no life but you do with what you can
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Weight loss has more to do with calorie deficit thatn working out. As the other said, there is really no need to be in the gym for 4 hours. But I get what you're asking - with all that work, it's going to be hard for you to get to the gym for even 30 minutes even if you do find the time and energy.

How about doing things at home? You may not have the space or money for a treadmill, bike or elliptical machine but there are hundreds of workout DVDs you can buy for $10 or less at WalMart or Target and you local library may even lend them for free. There are also some workouts online, check out YouTube. Aside from that, there are tons of things you can do in your own hom for completely free and without any equipment. Run or walk in place, do jumping jacks or pretend jump-rope or run/walk up and down your stairs. Push-ups, planks, sit-ups, squats and lunges. And if you want a little weight, fill up a gallon jug with water - that weighs about 8 pounds. Go for a quick walk during your break(s) at work. Fitting in three 10 minute sessions is perfectly fine if you have to. And it's better than doing nothing at all!

As for diet, I'd suggest trying to prepare and plan in advance as much as you can. Pack your snacks and meals so you're not tempted to go through the drive-thru or grab something from the vending machine or corner store because you don't have much time. Boil a dozen eggs, make a couple casseroles or soups, cook up a week's worth of oatmeal, etc. You can do it!

Good luck!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Schedule out your week on paper (including sleep) then look for gaps where a workout will fit.

If your schedule is really too tight to fit in more than 10 or 15 minutes in a day, use them. There are days when I've gone up and down the steps in my 2-story house a few times just to get something active into my day.
  • i know i don't need to work out 4 hours a day that's just what did because i like fast results....i know i need to just set up a routine for making it to the gym between jobs its just difficult because i don't have a set schedule ...some days i leave my house at 6am and get home at 3:30 and other days i don't make it home until 11pm and then have to turn around and be up again the next morning ....all three of my jobs are about 35 -40 mins from my house which is where i work out so there is not usually time to work out between jobs or on lunch breaks

also i know your not supposed to use food as a reward for weight loss but what are some other good ideas for rewards ( at a low or free of cost lol )
  • JessWolf1002
    JessWolf1002 Posts: 82 Member
    It's definitely doable! I work full time 8-5, have two very small children, go to school online full time and my husband is in the Army so he's gone a lot and works very long hours. I still find the time to work out for about an every day. I've been doing this since Jan 3rd and while watching my calorie intake I've lost 11 lbs. Do you know your schedule a week in advance? You should plan your week according to when you get your work schedule, maybe that would help you to plan a workout in here and there. Best of luck to you!
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    i know i don't need to work out 4 hours a day that's just what did because i like fast results....i know i need to just set up a routine for making it to the gym between jobs its just difficult because i don't have a set schedule ...some days i leave my house at 6am and get home at 3:30 and other days i don't make it home until 11pm and then have to turn around and be up again the next morning ....all three of my jobs are about 35 -40 mins from my house which is where i work out so there is not usually time to work out between jobs or on lunch breaks

also i know your not supposed to use food as a reward for weight loss but what are some other good ideas for rewards ( at a low or free of cost lol )

The best reward is not being fat
  • Yes I do get my schedule a week ahead I'll have to try doing that thanks!