POLAR FT4, FITBIT OR ANYTHING ELSE???

Options
WHICH ONE IS BETTER??? AM TRYING TO FIND SOMETHING TO COUNT CALORIES ETC

Replies

• xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Polar hrm and fitbit to be more accurate.

They have different functions if you google them
  • daciaschoolfield
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I absolutely love it. It is extremely easy to use and, with the heart rate strap, is the best way to TRULY track your calorie expenditure.

In ten years, this is my second Polar (only because I lost the first one).

Great product.
  • rosichick
    rosichick Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and i love it!! It really does save me time from guessing my calories, It wasn't as expensive as the fitbit as it only cost me 69 dollars i believe. However fitbit does do much more than the FT7 which i guess i understand. Whatever you get im sure will be just fine =)
  • 4kim2bfit
    4kim2bfit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit, but it's not downloading automaticly anymore, worked a few day, & says I'm still connected. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7. An awesome tool for working out. The chest strap is comfortable. I dont even notice im wearing it
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have both and use both daily. The FitBit is accurate when you are walking, jogging, stepping, etc, but doesn't do a great job with weight training. I use the FitBit to as a motivational tool and to keep track of how active I am for the day. I use the Polar FT4 for tracking workouts.
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT7 back on Dec. 1st. Love it! I only looked at Polar's stuff as it looked good. Shop on line. you should be able to get it for under $75, ($119 in the store).
  • Timehope
    Timehope Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor measures your effort -- at any activity you do. If you are challenging your body, your heart can't help but respond.

The FitBit, Nike FuelBand, etc. measure movement, especially arm movement. As was observed earlier, a FitBit won't be much good for weightlifting even though you are burning tons of calories. A FitBit also will not be accurate when you are bicycling (holding onto the handlebars, of course), or using exercise machines such as the elliptical trainer or stair stepper unless you make a conscious effort to swing your arm as you move (which most people don't -- they hold onto the rails for stability.) I'm not sure about the FitBit but the similar Nike product is not fully waterproof so you can't use it swimming.

The FitBit is a toy -- but a helluva fun toy. I think it is great for getting an overall snapshot of how generally active you are during the day and charting your periods of activity vs inactivity.

But for serious exercise tracking and calorie counting, an HRM is the tool to get.
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor measures your effort -- at any activity you do. If you are challenging your body, your heart can't help but respond.

The FitBit, Nike FuelBand, etc. measure movement, especially arm movement. As was observed earlier, a FitBit won't be much good for weightlifting even though you are burning tons of calories. A FitBit also will not be accurate when you are bicycling (holding onto the handlebars, of course), or using exercise machines such as the elliptical trainer or stair stepper unless you make a conscious effort to swing your arm as you move (which most people don't -- they hold onto the rails for stability.) I'm not sure about the FitBit but the similar Nike product is not fully waterproof so you can't use it swimming.

The FitBit is a toy -- but a helluva fun toy. I think it is great for getting an overall snapshot of how generally active you are during the day and charting your periods of activity vs inactivity.

But for serious exercise tracking and calorie counting, an HRM is the tool to get.

^^^This^^^
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i love the fitbit and i chose this over the heart rate monitor because it is so easy to wear the fitbit all day long (even tracks sleep patterns) and most people only wear the HRM during workouts. - i couldnt see myself wearing the chest strap very long, even though i know the HRM is slightly more accurate than the fitbit.

people that are more athletic, do weightlifting, or a lot of bike riding may not like the fitbit. but it works for me to give a constant reminder to move more.
  • StacieMarie84
    StacieMarie84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is the best!!!
  • Anthony110101111110001101
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and am very happy with it though I have more respect for women and what you all must go through your bra straps! :) I also recently bought the device to sync my workouts with the web just so I didn't have to write my results down in the phone or stuff around with it later etc.
  • RepsnSets
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and am very happy with it though I have more respect for women and what you all must go through your bra straps! :) I also recently bought the device to sync my workouts with the web just so I didn't have to write my results down in the phone or stuff around with it later etc.

Is that Hobbiton? Im from NZ :)
  • RepsnSets
    Options

I find the FT7 doesnt really calculate calories when weight lifting. Ive been using it for two weeks and the calorie intake is minimal (heavy lifter, sweating like a trooper during the workout)
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have both. I use the Fitbit for daily activity like my job, running errands, housework, etc. And I use my Polar FT4 to track workouts. I find that using both gives me a better ide aof what I'm actually burning from day to day.
  • FlamencoGal
    FlamencoGal Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Zip and I love it!!!!!! It is very motivating and syncs to MFP very well!!! I rave about mine so much that several folks in my office have purchased one and now they love it, too!!!!!!
  • birdsong222
    birdsong222 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 and I really like its training program. It recommends how much to exercise to reach your goal for a six week period. I like a fitbit to see how active I am through the day.
  • vmccormick
    Options
    LOVE my FT4 !!!!! Makes me want to work out more :)
  • LaurLaur09
    Options
    I'm in love with my FT4! But...I wonder if this happens to anyone else...the more I burn , the more I feel the need to burn. The watch is awesome but each time I workout I feel the need to surpass what I did the day before. When I don't it leaves me a bit disappointed in myself. Might just be my OCD, I don't know lol