My success story! with (hopefully) pics!

Options
So I am about 6 months into my journey, and I never wrote a “success story” cause I didn’t think I was at the end of my journey (and therefore, successful).
But looking back on everything that’s happened and how far I have come (and looking at my own before and after pictures even I’m amazed).

My heaviest weight was 272 pounds. This was me, right around that time, almost exactly one year ago at my mom’s 50th birthday party.
984f15e4-16cc-415d-847e-8ddd3d4c6e58.jpg
Holy crap right?

About a week or two before this picture, I had fallen at work and because of a back injury, had to be bussed out to the ER. You know what I was thinking?
“Oh my god these poor emts having to lift my heavy *kitten* into an ambulance…”
Jesus… I’m tearing up thinking about it

I digress. In july/august of last year, I decided I wanted to try to get healthy again. I started watching what I ate a little bit more, did a little more walking around, and generally tried to be more active and conscious of everything I was doing. THEN, the greatest thing happened.
Because of my injury that previous January, I had “qualified” to participate in a program called Work Strong, which has the general idea that if employees are healthier, they will not suffer as many at work injuries and call out sick less. The coordinator had been trying to get ahold of me since that May, but emails had been redirected and I’d never gotten them. After finally talking to her, I found out that this program would allow me a personal trainer for 12 weeks, access to the University gym for 6 months, meetings with the coordinator once a week, and fitness assessment tests along the way. This was just what I needed to get started…

I began the training. I began meeting with the coordinator. I joined MFP at my trainer’s suggestion and started doing everything I could do to change my lifestyle. I got my blood drawn, did a fitness test, and took body measurements.

My official starting weight was 259. My body fat percentage was 43.6% . My fitness rating (the recovery rate of my heart after a 3 minute step test) was “below average”

At 6 weeks, my weight was 244. My body fat percentage was 38%. My fitness rating was “excellent”

At 12 weeks (the end of the program) my weight was 237. My body fat percentage was 34.2%. My fitness rating was still “excellent”

Today… Roughly 5-6 months after starting.. my weight is now at 224. 24 pounds away from onederland…. I am blown away at how far I’ve come. 35 pounds down from my “starting weight”, and 48 pounds down from my heaviest a year ago. CRAZY!
On that note, one of the things that I would do with my coordinator was to set goals. And one of my long term goals was to run in the annual Stampede 5K. Not walk it, RUN it.

Here I am crossing the finish line (in pink!)
2f8bfb37-3466-4139-9c16-e9eabc771528.jpg
And not only did I run this, but I ran it in 41minutes, 39 seconds. Almost 10 minutes sooner than I thought I would finish.

And here I am, happy… healthy… and glowing prior to the race.
537850_10152489841885136_1772130139_n.jpg

I’ve still got a journey ahead of me… but with MFP, and my own desire to someday get into a bikini again….. well, I’m gonna do it!

Replies

• KimP202
    KimP202 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    spectacular! congratulations!
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    You've done a great job! Congrats on your progress!!!
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You ARE a success story, and you look terrific!
  • LiveTheLifeYouWillLove
    Options
    Congratulations! THat is great success! Keep it up:)
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! What an amazing program that your work put you in!!!

Looking forward to seeing the bikini shot! :-)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You are a winner. Keep it going.
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Great job!! This is so motivational. Thank you for posting :drinker:
  • brendacooks
    brendacooks Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yes you will do it - if you just keep at it. Good - no - excellent job so far!!! Can't wait to see more in a few months....
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Totally amazing...your commitment and dedication sure shows. It would be so interesting to see your improved lab reports. Best to you and thanks for sharing your journey. You look great!
  • mauibound2
    mauibound2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You look AMAZING keep up the hard work it is paying off :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    wonderful. you have done a great job. looking good. good luck on reaching your goal you will do it, you are strong and committed. thanks for sharing.
  • daklex
    daklex Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Great job, congrats!!
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    You look great, congrats!
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    awesome job!!! thank you so much for !sharing
  • gayatrik
    gayatrik Posts: 173
    Options
    Congrats and good luck with rest of ur journey!!
  • Lonasue32
    Lonasue32 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You look amazing good job keep up the good work you are right you WILL get there!!
  • Az173
    Az173 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    amazing!! you inspired me!! good work..
  • callielizabethrocks
    Options
    You are a super star! That's a great time for a first 5K!
  • SheenSZF
    Options
    Wow - you're making great progress - and definitely counts as a success. Congratulations on your run, and keep it up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!