Questions about abs

Options
So to be blunt...if your tummy has already dropped a little from being heavy in the past and losing (and having 2 c sections), and gaining, and losing and gaining again, is there any hope? Also, what are the best exercises to do to keep the excess skin at a minimum while you are losing weight? My tummy is my biggest problem and where I gain most of my weight. I go to the gym but not sure about what is the best machine to use for the tummy and midriff area. Even at 130 lbs. I wasn't happy with the width of my midriff.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    ab wheel
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    ab wheel

Be warned, this thing may make you feel like you are going to die the first few times you use it...especially if you make the mistake of trying to be on your toes instead of your knees at first.
  • Tecia1970
    Tecia1970 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    So that's one I can do at home. Awesome! I'll definitely be getting one. Hope it puts things back where they are supposed to be lol.
  • usmcrp
    Options
    Prior to the ab wheel, make sure your abs are in good enough shape to use it. Try a push up top position and work up to 1 minute. Once you are able to stay in the up position for 1 minute, then use the ab wheel.
  • Tecia1970
    Options
    Prior to the ab wheel, make sure your abs are in good enough shape to use it. Try a push up top position and work up to 1 minute. Once you are able to stay in the up position for 1 minute, then use the ab wheel.
    I go to the gym. Is there anything there that would help? I don't know what this machine is called but you sit and with your legs in front of you, you place your feet flat against the board (?) and push with your legs. The board doesn't move but it moves you backwards. My husband says that's for your legs but I also feel it in my abs.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    1. There is ALWAYS hope
    2. Abs are made in the kitchen. It does not matter how many crunches, sit ups, etc. you do, if you have a layer (or multiple layers as is my case) of FAT over the MUSCLE, then ABS will NOT show.

3. Abs made in the kitchen only goes so far. If you do not work the ab muscles, then you don't have a strong core and you can pull all the fat off the muscle and it will not be defined... unless you have developed the muscles underneath... Therefore, Crunches, Crunch machine, leg lifts, planks are all good for defining the abdominal muscles -- yet forget not #2 ... If you have a layer of fat over those muscles, then you will not see them... even if they are built like "Charles Atlas"....

4. For a man, a body fat % of 10-12 % is usually necessary to reveal ab muscles. For a woman, I think the # is about 18% or so.

5. To lower body fat %, lose weight.. but lose it slowly so you are not losing a lot of muscle mass with the fat. Cardio machines such as stair steppers, treadmills, elipticals, biking, swimming, etc are all good general cardio exercises and you will see results if you persist.

Best wishes on attaining your goal.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym. Is there anything there that would help? I don't know what this machine is called but you sit and with your legs in front of you, you place your feet flat against the board (?) and push with your legs. The board doesn't move but it moves you backwards. My husband says that's for your legs but I also feel it in my abs.

That is a Leg press machine. Your husband is right, it is primarily for your quadriceps (leg muscles) BUT most machines do work other muscles secondarily... Yes, I have felt that at times as well when working that machine. Another great machine is the Torso Rotator. Helps tone the obliques.
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Most leg workouts are good for your core as well. Think about it as getting your core strengthened and toned and not just your abs. Crunches and ab wheels etc. are good but they don't work on your whole core.
    Do squats, dead lifts, cleans...These exercices should be in the Bible of working out since they are the best for your legs and your whole core (abs, obliques, lower back) This makes you stronger and more balanced physically as well as gets you SUPER toned in the mid section (core)

Most importantly tho. Abs are made in the kitchen. You can work your abs out till you pass out, it won't do anything in the way of showing more abs or tone you mid section if you don't have the right diet that allows you to shed any excess fat that is covering those wonderful 6 pack of yours:)
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Oh I just read the comment above mine and everything I just said, he said...
    oops
  • Tecia1970
    Options

Most leg workouts are good for your core as well. Think about it as getting your core strengthened and toned and not just your abs. Crunches and ab wheels etc. are good but they don't work on your whole core.
    Do squats, dead lifts, cleans...These exercices should be in the Bible of working out since they are the best for your legs and your whole core (abs, obliques, lower back) This makes you stronger and more balanced physically as well as gets you SUPER toned in the mid section (core)

Most importantly tho. Abs are made in the kitchen. You can work your abs out till you pass out, it won't do anything in the way of showing more abs or tone you mid section if you don't have the right diet that allows you to shed any excess fat that is covering those wonderful 6 pack of yours:)
    I am definitely watching my caloric intake in addition to going to the gym. I don't expect to have the same body I had when I was 17 (even though it was kick *kitten* lol). I'm a lot older now, I have had 2 kids which were both c-sections. They cut me up and down with my oldest, bikini cut with the youngest and another cut when I had my partial hysterectomy. My mother in-law is an RN and said my stomach will never be totally flat again because of that. I can live with that as long as I can make it look flat under my clothes lol. I just want everything to go back to where it was as far as my stomach goes. That's where I gain most of my weight at and I at least want it to look decent.