Yoga

Options
Hi there, new to this site as I have been doing this weight loss thing on the quiet with my fiance.
Quick question, im starting up yoga as I heard it was great for toning....how is it only coming up as a 155 calorie
burn for a whole hour! My friends swear by it. I have lost the 17 lbs with no exercise so I guess im asking is it worth it? 34645348.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• adrabner
    adrabner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't track my exercise with MFP because it's kind of awkward and not very accurate to me. I just put whether I am active/very active and stick with the calories it gives me.

I am doing P90X, but I kept my activity level to "active" so I could shed some fat faster. Yoga can be really intense though, so just keep doing it and ignore the calories it tells you. If you see and feel results, that's all that matters.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    It could also be that yoga isn't very aerobic and you don't move very quickly typically so there isn't going to be much a calorie burn when compared to other things but yoga is still a great a workout and it is toning and creates lean muscle which can raise metabolism. But more importantly, if you like doing it, do it and have fun!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you are doing more stretchy/meditative yoga, that calorie burn is probably appropriate.

If you are doing a more difficult variation, the low-moderate effort callisthenics is in order. It is possible to go all the way up to burn rates of the high effort callisthenics.

Depends on how hard you are working. Yoga is a very vague term. A really advanced yoga strength workout is nothing like a beginners recovery workout.

When I do Yoga X I use 60 minutes of low-moderate effort callisthenics and and 30 minutes of yoga, for a total burn of about 430 calories (for me) in an hour and a half, which seems right. 60 minutes worth of warrior poses, the ab section, and wheel, and 30 minutes of stretching/balancing.
  • LemonMint6
    Options
    As previous posters have said, yoga varies greatly.

But it's worth swearing by, it increases flexibility, strength, and reduces stress. All aid in weight loss and general health. Yoga is great for inch loss, and retaining LBM too.

I think of yoga like vitamins and vegetables, just do it, it's good for you. :)
  • Thinknight
    Thinknight Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys! Tonight is going to be my first attempt at yoga so i think its safe to say it will be a timid one and im hoping I will like it!
    Fingers crossed it will go well.
    :bigsmile: