What you do to combat Emotional and Bored Eating?

Options
When your having a rough day, just had a break-up, PMSing, girlfriend is acting crazy, work is stressful, family is unbearable.... What do you do to not go into emotional eating?

When your bored in front on the tv, everyone has plans but you, stuck in the house........What do you do to not eat from boredom? (My worst thing is bored watching tv or a movie and wanting to munch on something)

I used to bake wonderful desserts. Which I dont do anymore because my diet means no sugars except for Saturday. So what are some things that you do?

Replies

• angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I used to bake wonderful desserts as well. I miss baking so much! :cry:

In the beginning I found that my "munchies cravings" were satisfied by a stick of gum. I chew Trident Cinnamon because its the only gum I've found that doesn't have aspartame in it. But that one stick of gum would satisfy those munchies immediately. (Which is proof that I wasn't ACTUALLY hungry!) Since I stay up late, I would always need to chew a stick of gum at night when I started feeling munchie. Now I don't even get munchies like that anymore so I don't need the gum.

You could also make sure you're planning out your meals and calories so that you have a bit left over at night for a snack that fits within your program.

:flowerforyou:
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    I eat ice!!! Its calorie free ans keeps me chomping!
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I get BUSY. I read a good book I won't want to put down, or play PVP in an MMO (GW2 anyone?) so I'm not thinking about food. Or - as the parent of a three-year-old who likes to wake up early - I go to bed. Boring, sure, but it works, and I tend to feel better the next day. Obviously not today, though, seeing as I'm up at midnight. >_> lol. Silly depression meds.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Will power and distraction. That's why exercise works in times of habit eating.
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I drink peppermint tea, it's a life saver for me.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I counter emotional eating by beating the crap out of a punching bag. It's a much better outlet for me and I tend to feel better afterwards anyway.

Bored eating I either go for a stick of gum or ice cold water (for some reason room temperature or slightly cool water just doesn't fix it for me).
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    bored eating it a big one for me.

when i get a craving i drink a large glass of ice water (chug 16 + ounces) and if i am still hungry half hour after that then i allow myself a snack.
    i try to go to something low cal - lately it has been air popped popcorn with butter flavored cooking spray on it.
    ~~~~if you don't have an air popper no prob- i don't have one either. use a paper bag put popcorn seeds in roll the top of the bag down a little and microwave like you would a reg bag of popcorn. - delish without the extra crap the comes in store bought bags.

or oatmeal.
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    just... what do you have to have sugar only on Saturday ? That sounds pretty restrictive...

I love baking too, and lost 20 pounds last year just changing a bit my eating habits (ok that"s not a lot but still) but not getting rid of one aliment group, and I promiss, I was still baking.

but as mentionned, keeping busy works pretty well ! Also when I do exercise like cardio, I'm kinda not hungry at all afterwards.... do you exercise ?
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Cup of tea or exercise
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    just... what do you have to have sugar only on Saturday ? That sounds pretty restrictive...

I love baking too, and lost 20 pounds last year just changing a bit my eating habits (ok that"s not a lot but still) but not getting rid of one aliment group, and I promiss, I was still baking.

but as mentionned, keeping busy works pretty well ! Also when I do exercise like cardio, I'm kinda not hungry at all afterwards.... do you exercise ?

No I havent been exercising but I do know that it would help with both the emotional and boredom eating. Im currently doing the slow-carb diet which is pretty restrictive but I think for me it will be worth it and work better for my life style.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat.

I give myself time limits for eating like I won't eat my snack/lunch/whatever until a certain time. Or, I'll split my lunch in half, and save it for later so when I want to snack I have something, and then if I still in a munch mood I'll have my actual "snack."
  • pattycake118
    pattycake118 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Could you make plans with someone? It sounds like you're lonely at that time. It's hard to reach out, but we're strangers and we're being kind to you - someone you know probably will be nice too.
    Otherwise, it can be nice having a night in with the tv. Maybe try not to watch tv on the couch - stand up and march in place, for example. Or busy your hands with something like knitting, or a craft project you can do at the same time.

It's good that you can identify that you're eating because you're bored. It took me a long time to finally find some trigger emotions.

Best of luck to you!
  • Otrogen
    Options
    Basically, chew gum and stay busy. If I have gum in my mouth, I won't be so tempted to put something else in there. If I'm busy, I don't have time to think about sitting around eating, so it all works out!

I don't ever just sit down and watch TV, because it's a recipe for disaster. I find something to do online, someone to talk to, play a videogame or something, because if I'm occupied, I'm not thinking of eating.

Edited to add: As for the emotional binge eating, it never gets easier for me. Just earlier today, I went to get my eyebrows done and the woman took off waaaaaaaay too much. I was upset because they look stupid and they're going to look stupid for at least 3 weeks while they grow back in. My boyfriend made it worse by jokingly rubbing it in, which just made me even more upset. I was SO tempted to go facedive into a plate of pizza rolls or potato chips or some of the ice cream in the freezer, but I held out by doing the same things -- popped in a stick of gum, and went to go find something to do. You've just got to get through it!
  • jktwork2
    jktwork2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am well aware of boredom and i too eat when I'm feeling hemmed in. It is all about attitude. It is time to take charge, not control and ask yourself,." What do I need to do right now to take better care of myself?" It is an important question. It helps me when I stop and breathe before putting food in my mouth; however, I don't always do it. I'm not perfect, but my goal is to get better every day. I am tacking a few nutritional class through Coursera an online delivery program that is free to participants. So, if you like to learn you might check it out when they offer the class again. Remember to reach out, ask for help and know that you deserve the help! Good Luck and keep in touch.
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Drink some tea and what's with Saturday? Keep baiting your body and it'll keep sabotaging you.
    I can't believe how many people think they need a "cheat day"
    Who are you cheating?
  • liron57
    Options
    Walk outside; do crosswords, sudoku; play computer game; call or text a friend or my sister; have a sugar-free hard candy; drink a cup of hot water..... sometimes just go to bed! I sometimes stay up too late and end up having a snack but if I'm honest with myself, I realize i shouldn't be up and I shouldn't be eating! I heard about a research study that found that getting enough sleep, (at least 7 hours), helps weight loss.
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    First thing is I try to go for a walk but that isn't always an option so after that I do chore and then try to write or read. But when all of that fails or it just isn't grabbing my attention away from food I start playing games the more mentally engaging and/or puzzle based the better. Real time games are best since they can often suck up hours of time and I won't think of food at all.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Find a hobby
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Drink some tea and what's with Saturday? Keep baiting your body and it'll keep sabotaging you.
    I can't believe how many people think they need a "cheat day"
    Who are you cheating?

Agree!