Calorie Burn

Options
Why isn't there a calorie count for weight lifting/strength training? Doesnt' seem right because it doesn't post to your daily calorie adjustment. Who can give me information on this?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The calories burned during strength training are minimal. The real benefit comes after, during the recovery. If you're doing a lot fo heavy lifting, and you're feeling you need to eat more, do it. You need to fuel your workouts. Add 100-200 calories and see if you still lose. If you do, great, if not, you may want to adjust back down.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM to the circuit and to power classess and find I burn between 120-200 calories per 45 minutes ISH. It really depends on how heavy I let myself go and if I get a cardio burst. There is a weight thing in the cardio section, but its seriously subjective and not much as far as cardio calorie burn, however, I will still eat them!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i know, its annoying! I google to find out generally how many calories a woman of my weight burns weight lifting per hour and then I created a custom cardio exercise that I use to track estimated calories burned. The thing that is hard about getting the calculation right is how long you're resting between sets and how heavy you are lifting- these are big variables. I usuallly work out on my lunch break so i dont have much time- i dont even rest between sets, i just do different muscle groups and i lift as heavy as I can to finish 3 sets. So i feel okay to say i weight lifted for 30 mins
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Why isn't there a calorie count for weight lifting/strength training? Doesnt' seem right because it doesn't post to your daily calorie adjustment. Who can give me information on this?

Its listed under cardiovascular exercise in the database. (search for strength training)
  • jimian60
    Options
    JenMc14
    Sorry... I beg to differ... I wear a calorie burn watch and strength training done using an HIIT burns A LOT of calories. In other words you perform strength training with LITTLE rest in between reps. It's all about INTENSITY when it comes to burning calories. You can jog real SLOW and you won't burn as much in the same time if you were going fast. INTENSITY. Weights burn.
  • jimian60
    Options
    Why punch it in when you can have near EXACT reading of calorie burns. I'm with a group who uses heart rate/calorie-tracking watches and the guessing game is over. You know to the "T."
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    It would be more convincing if you were not trying to sell the exact product you're talking about.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    If you really want to track that then invest in a HRM. Weight lifting varies way to much to be roughly the same for everyone. Each person does a different weight routine with different reps, sets, and weight.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    It would be more convincing if you were not trying to sell the exact product you're talking about.

Umm... Yeah... ^^^This.
  • jimian60
    Options

Um...It's FREE. Sorry.
  • jimian60
    Options

Umm... Yeah... ^^^This.

It's FREE.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I add the exercises then in the cardio type in strength training for calories. It is actually quite a lot if you work hard.
  • Westy5866
    Options

Umm... Yeah... ^^^This.

It's FREE.

So the watch is free as well then ?