HELP! Strength training. No equipment?

Options
So far the only exercise I do is, every other day I alternate jog and speed walk on my treadmill for 30 minutes. The other days I don't do that I am walking my dog for 60 minutes around my neighborhood. I really want to start doing strength training as well after my walks with my dog. Although I have NO equipment other then my treadmill that can incline. I would really like to know some good strength training routines I can do that requires 0 equipment, and rather uses things around the house.

I also live in a two story house, so I suppose stairs can be used in exercise.

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
  • iqbalkaurthin
    iqbalkaurthin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian Michales Banish Fat Boost Metabolism DVD. It uses no equipment and its one kick-*kitten* work out for all sets of muscles
  • Siniharmaa
    Siniharmaa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yep, go for bodyweight routines like BigGuy47 suggested. And there are also (bodyweight) workout DVDs that use no equipment (well, unless you count the DVD as being equipment :laugh: ). Kelly Coffey-Meyer's Body Training is one example and I hear she's planning to make another bodyweight routine this year...
  • kellyjaymac
    Options
    fill two 500ml coke bottles or similar and use as small weights, also squats, planks, press ups on knees if can not manage on feet, skipping with out the rope.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    get a set of cheap dumbbells

You can do everything with that. The list is endless
  • notthatthis
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIIuvdW6IXE

Equipment is everywhere. Just one video to prove the point.

Also check out evilcyber.com for home workouts with simple everyday household items.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

^This^
    No need to get equipment right now. Bodyweight exercises are great.
  • Green_eyed_beauty
    Green_eyed_beauty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was just going to ask this question myself - Looks like some good advise already. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I use the Gorilla Workout app at the moment, it's all body weight based so you don't need any equipment, it's 20 days of it and I'd recommend it as a start :smile:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Leg exercises: Squats, Lunges
    Push Movements: Pushups, Dips
    Pull Movements: Inverted Rows, Pullups

There are countless variants for all of these.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    The net nanny is blocking me here at work but google "Death by Body Weight"

I think this may be the link but I can't promise

www.t-nation.com/.../sports_body.../death_by_bodyweight -
  • Samanthalynn724
    Options
    Get yourself a set of dumbbells, and if that's not really possible, use canned food while you do your squats or lunges! :) It may look silly but I've found it harder and you can see the results.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    This was kind of heavier than what you are looking for but equipment really is everywhere. If it weighs something USE IT! I bought some sand bags from the store that are used for weight in a truck in the winter. Yup carry those around for awhile and let me know how it works.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Agree with the body weight exercises (push ups, squats, lunges, etc...), and buy a set of dumbells.

If you can't do that...recycle gallon milk cartons and fill them with water to use for weights.
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Body weight workouts are great. I would also recommend getting a pullup bar. They usually run $20 - $30 and are well worth it. If you do get one, consider getting straps to do things like hanging leg raises and other core exercises. I think I paid $12 - $15 for mine.

Also, you can use a chair to do tricep dips or put two together and dip between them. I would recommend non-cushioned chairs. Speaking of chairs, be a chair. Lean against a wall and slide down into a chair position. Hold it as long as you can. If you're bored then extend one leg and hold. Feel the burn :smile:
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Check out You Are Your Own Gym from your local library - it's got all kinds of challenging body weight strength training ideas you can do.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Practically anything you could need or want to know about bodyweight strength training can be found or linked to from this page:

http://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/faq
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ConvictConditioning

http://www.livestrong.com/article/39853-making-own-workout-equipment/

You can also make weights using bundles of old newspaper and duct tape. Sometimes newspaper offices (at least the small ones where I live) will give away bundles of older editions.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    nerdfitness.com
    you are your own gym
    Global body weight training
    unique body weight exercises