A protein shake in uk?

Options
Can anyone recommend a good value protein shake in the UK that tastes ok? I’ve never had shakes before but I am going to get back in to working out on a morning (have been recovering from a chest infection). This means getting up at 5am and even after a workout I don’t always feel like eating first thing. Plus once I am out of the shower it’s a mad dash to get the kids ready and out of the door.

I previously used to have my breakfast when I got to work around 8.30am but at times found myself feeling a bit sick and shakey as I was driving in. So I thought a protein shake might work well as it would give me some calories to put me on until I got to work and I don’t have to face eating anything first thing.

Any recommendations?

Replies

• louiloui123
    louiloui123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have bought Spirutein it is a soy, chia and rice protein shake and it is delicious i did a bit of research after having a packet and it really filled me up, during my research i came to find people take the shake in the morning and dinner as it only has 99 calories and some take it consistently for 2 to 3 weeks to see a rapid improvement in weightloss
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    PHD diet vanilla whey is the only one I've found that tastes good. Cheapest place I've found it is amazon. It's makes a good breakfast when time is pushed :-)
  • weffie11
    Options
    I used to get mine from myprotein.com - they have a variety of flavours and you can get sample packs for about £1 so you can see which you like. I think I got the Whey Protein, but there are lots of different kinds. I liked the summer fruit, but there are loads of different kinds - choc chip, mocha, vanilla, toffee - have a look
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If you join the Team UK group, there is a whole conversation about this here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/876982-whey-protein-holland-and-barrett
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I used to get mine from myprotein.com - they have a variety of flavours and you can get sample packs for about £1 so you can see which you like. I think I got the Whey Protein, but there are lots of different kinds. I liked the summer fruit, but there are loads of different kinds - choc chip, mocha, vanilla, toffee - have a look

This

I also use bulkpowders.co.uk they have a similar range of flavours and it is much cheaper than the high street. However I buy unflavoured and add my own natural flavourings (cocoa, vanilla, etc.) as it is cheaper than flavoured, gives more protein per serving and doesn't have all the artificial flavourings/sweeteners etc. of the flavoured varieties.

ETA - they also offer free next day delivery on orders over £50.
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm not keen on protein shakes tried a few; all gross; tried to make protein shake muffins but they were no better. I tend to make Oat Bran muffins the night before and have the on the go; either in the car (they are so portable) or at my desk with a black coffee.

The base receipe is so easy takes 5-10mins and 15-17mins cooking in 180'c oven. I use a silicon muffin tray helps with the washing up.

2 tbsp Oat Bran (Mornflake or £1 version from Aldi)
    1tbsp Skimmed Milk Powder
    1tsp Baking Powder
    1tbsp sweetner (i use splenda) and a little vanilla extract
    1tbsp Low fat cream cheese (quark could work too I haven't tried it)
    1 egg

Then go crazy with the flavours you like; today I have had dark choc and raspberries; others ive made include blueberry, carrot and cinnamon.

Not tried savoury yet going to work on that this weekend olive and rosemary I think.

Basically mix wet ingredients and add dry ingredients mix your favourite flavours and bang into the oven.

If you search for oat bran on Dukan website it has a really useful article about the benefits and what it does; for me it fills me up so i can go through to lunch without snacking.

As you can tell its my new favourite thing and i want to share! Feeling the love! :flowerforyou:
  • charlottefairbairn
    Options
    USN Diet Fuel is very good and the Chocolate one tastes great!
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I don't know of a protein shake that you can buy...a dietician at work gave me a recipe to help with my dislike of breakfasts.... only takes a few mins to prepare and I'd drink on the way to work (6am start!) Also prevents me snacking on whatever's going at break times!

1 tbs ground oatmeal
    2 tbs fat free natural yoghurt or fat fee fromage frais
    2 tbs fruit - I like using frozen berries
    1 tsp sweetener (optional - but I need it to counteract the oatmeals' rustic taste)
    Blitz in a blender - I only have a hand one, but it does the job ok, and I add some skimmed milk to make it thinner in consistency.
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I quite like Nectar cappacino flavour mixed in with my coffee. It's an american brand but I've been able to get it on ebay and a few other sites. I like it cos it is low carb, high protein and is gluten free :)

and brrrr its freaking cold here in berks!
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    my husband does all our protein shake buying. I'll ask him what we use when he gets up.
  • exile40
    exile40 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Me and my girlfriend use a company called "gold standard whey protein" it comes in a range of flavours, it can be mixed with water or milk and contains a lot less carbs than some other brands.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    MyProtein Impact Whey.
    http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

Cheapest AND best tasting i've found.
    I actually now just order the unflavoured variety, and flavour it with their "flav drops" and actual fruit which i blend.
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    my protein has a sale on at the moment...I got 1/2 price soy protein...98 cals and 23g protein per 25g scoop.

beware they don't include a scoop.

they also sell flav drops if you prefer unflavoured...which is cheaper

martyxx
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey--Double Rich Chocolate flavour. I wrote a bit more about it in that thread that someone linked to above.

Whatever you do, try to get a sample or very small size of any brand/flavour before you commit to a big tub.
  • Dragonflag07
    Dragonflag07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    SCI MX Ultragen. Strawberry tastes like a proper milkshake, choc and banana taste amazing in protein pancakes. Very low carbs and sugar (<2g and 0.5g) per 2 scoops. You can get it online from amazon or in the big Tescos.
  • Westy5866
    Options
    Im UK based.

I use Reflex inastant whey delux. Banoffee or chocolate flavour usualy. I use mine with water and it tastes ok but if you have it with milk im sure it will be better.

Just over 18g of protien for just under 100 cals.

Hope this helps.:smile:
  • pullem
    pullem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have used many, many, many brands but these are my top three in terms of price, quality and service. All are online suppliers as the stuff you can buy in supermarkets and health food stores etc. are generally very overpriced and or poor quality. All of the suppliers below offer samples and have nutritional information for the products on their websites.

Myprotein - used to use these a lot as they were generally the cheapest for decent quality but they have been bought out by the hut group and the service isn't what it used to be. A large range of flavours and protein sources and general mixability is good, overall tend to find their flavours too sickly sweet tasting.

Musclexcess - Very nice tasting, thick milkshake like protein shakes, always had great service from them but only have 3 flavours

The proteinworks - very highly rated, have a very large range of flavours including unusual flavours such as lemon shortcake and cherry bakewell which actual taste spot on and biscuity, mix very well and service is very good. They also have a create your own protein service, whereby you can customise protein sources and additives such as creatine, bcaa's etc for those that are interested
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have used many, many, many brands but these are my top three in terms of price, quality and service. All are online suppliers as the stuff you can buy in supermarkets and health food stores etc. are generally very overpriced and or poor quality. All of the suppliers below offer samples and have nutritional information for the products on their websites.

Myprotein - used to use these a lot as they were generally the cheapest for decent quality but they have been bought out by the hut group and the service isn't what it used to be. A large range of flavours and protein sources and general mixability is good, overall tend to find their flavours too sickly sweet tasting.

Musclexcess - Very nice tasting, thick milkshake like protein shakes, always had great service from them but only have 3 flavours

The proteinworks - very highly rated, have a very large range of flavours including unusual flavours such as lemon shortcake and cherry bakewell which actual taste spot on and biscuity, mix very well and service is very good. They also have a create your own protein service, whereby you can customise protein sources and additives such as creatine, bcaa's etc for those that are interested

Are you really me in disguise?
    That's almost word-for-word what I would have said!
  • pullem
    pullem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Are you really me in disguise?
    That's almost word-for-word what I would have said!

Maybe I'm your female alter-ego lol!!
  • ClareKaczmarek
    Options
    USN Diet Fuel is very good and the Chocolate one tastes great!

As does the Vanilla, tastes like melted ice cream :)