Recording fluids on MyFitnesspal

Options
Hi there,

Ok so I was wondering, at the moment for example I drink a cup of coffee or squash and I log it as either a snack or with a particular meal, but i'm not recording it as water intake as well.

Is it fair to say that if were to drink say 1-1.5L of squash a day I can log the brand of squash and add the amount in the water intake as well? Because otherwise It would show i've not taken in any fluids at all which would be incorrect.

If anyone could advise me on this i'd be greatly appreciative.

Cheers

Leon

Replies

• loic901
    loic901 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    im wondering too... not sure if i should count in the water in my protein shake for example
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    You'll get differing responses on this, but basically almost all beverages are hydrating, even if they contain diuretics like caffeine and alcohol. The big exception is hard alcohol.
  • loic901
    Options
    false.. red wine is proven to be deshydrating, some bodybuilder use it to make vein pop :P
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I log water as water only when drunk in its plain, unadulterated still form. Water in tea, coffee, juice is logged as tea, coffee or juice.
    Sparkling water I log as sparkling water.

Just my own preference.
  • loic901
    Options
    thats what im doing at the moment but sometime its kinda hard to hit the 8 cup of water a day when drinking protein shakes, tea, coffee....
  • Colossus882
    Colossus882 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't really bother logging water, I usually drink at least 4-5 L of water a day. I'm just used to it from working outside in the heat a lot
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep, water is water/......
  • Dangerousdriver
    Options
    Ok so if I record i've had a protein shake or squash then log what you've had as it contains sugars, fats etc and then enter the amount of fluid as water to get to my recommended intake of water per day because there is no way i'd hit it otherwise
  • Donnaovercomer
    Donnaovercomer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i log my coffee and water separate also.
  • NatalieHassett
    NatalieHassett Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree. You need to log the squash because it will have a few calories in it and then log the water separately. I don't bother logging coffees under a particular meal as I have it black with a sweetener but the water counts!

I fill up a 2L jug with squash and drink it throughout the day. I'd find it difficult to hit my water count unless I did that.

Happy drinking :drinker:
  • Dangerousdriver
    Options
    I agree. You need to log the squash because it will have a few calories in it and then log the water separately. I don't bother logging coffees under a particular meal as I have it black with a sweetener but the water counts!

I fill up a 2L jug with squash and drink it throughout the day. I'd find it difficult to hit my water count unless I did that.

Yeah that's my thinking, just make up a jug of squash and record the sugars separately and then water intake.

I hate drinking water so this is the only way you'll get it down me otherwise.
  • NatalieHassett
    NatalieHassett Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Damn straight! :smile:
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    if YOU put water in it, then it's water.
    EG. I drink coffee. I use my nespresso machine to get 2 shots of coffee. I top up with 250ml of water. I therefore log a cup of water.
    Squash is water, tropicana orange juice is not water, milk is not water, red wine is not water, beer is not water.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I log any beverages with calories. I don't worry about what is or isn't water as long as my urine is clear or pale yellow.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Some people count anything liquid as water, some think the second you add a powder to water, it ceases to be water at all. :laugh:

Since the 8 cups a day guideline is just a guideline... do whatever the frig you want.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Yeah that's my thinking, just make up a jug of squash and record the sugars separately and then water intake.

I hate drinking water so this is the only way you'll get it down me otherwise.

This is me. Water with flavoring added is water in my mind.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Could someone explain to me what you mean by drinking squash? I'm thinking this is an across the pond thing that needs to be translated...here in the states, squash is a type of veggie and I can't for the life of me figure out how you'd drink it. TIA!
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Could someone explain to me what you mean by drinking squash? I'm thinking this is an across the pond thing that needs to be translated...here in the states, squash is a type of veggie and I can't for the life of me figure out how you'd drink it. TIA!

it's a concentrated liquid typically orange or blackcurrent in flavour. you add say 1 part concentrate to about 8 parts water... Hey presto, Squash.

139259.jpg
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ive wondered that too, as I drink a huge amount of herbal tea through the day... I guess it is a personal prefence. I log them whehn I drink them but not under my water category!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I log any beverages with calories. I don't worry about what is or isn't water as long as my urine is clear or pale yellow.

^^ This

I quit logging water a LONG time ago.