Getting started..

Options
So, I am new here.
I want to lose approximately 60 pounds.
I don't really know how to start.
I can never stay motivated, I'm always bored.
My kids are my life and they are amazing. I want to be amazing too.
I'm tired of being a fatty. :(
I don't really have friends. I stay at home with my kids all day.
I am a college student, and I graduate in July.

So.... hi.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Dont try to make too many cahnges all in one go. Track all your food for at least a week, and then analyse your diary and see where you could have made better choices.
  • Starfae
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Dont try to make too many cahnges all in one go. Track all your food for at least a week, and then analyse your diary and see where you could have made better choices.

My major excuse lately is that I don't buy my own food, so I can't control what's in the house.

How do I stop making excuses?
  • szonjakun
    szonjakun Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Who's the one shopping for you?
  • Starfae
    Options
    Who's the one shopping for you?

My roommate and my dad. We have a household of 11, with some severely picky eaters. (Not me though.) We've basically had the same meals rotated each week for the past 6 years.
  • szonjakun
    Options
    Can't you ask for them what to buy? Or can't you go out yourself and do it?

I'm living with my mum (and her bf and my bf), so usually she's the one who buys all the stuff, but if I ask her to buy me something she will. We are on a budget, but the day before shopping we talk about what we'd like to have and what we can afford. :)
    And we are all picky eaters...and my mum is a vegetarian, the boys don't really like veggies and my bf likes fish (but noone else does besides him) so it's not all that easy, but its doable.

Excuses are simple things. If you don't have one you can make one anytime. If you really want to change, you have to stop making them. Some people find it easier to change their lifestyle goind step by step, some people don't. Find the way you can do it and find some people who can support you (in real life and here as well, if you need to). :)
  • Starfae
    Options
    The only part of the budget that I can really have any say on is what I drink. Otherwise, everything is bought the same. And neither of them are open to change and pretty much take what I say in one ear and right out the other. =/

If I work on my portions, would that be enough?

I don't work or have a car so me shopping is out of the question too.
  • szonjakun
    Options
    Since I don't have any idea of what you drink and eat I can't really help that much.

If you want to lose weight you'd definitely want to drink water, water and water. Maybe milk and you can have a tea (especially green tea) as well.

Portion control will help if you are eating too much atm. I don't know what you have at home, but just keep in mind that you don't have to eat everything. (Like someone buys cookies or chocolate, chips...whatever....you can just choose not to eat that.)
    It'd be good if you could be more active than you are now. (I don't know about that as well, so it's just something I'd suggest for someone trying to start a new lifestyle :))

Edit: I don't work and don't have a car but I still go shopping. It's just a 20 mins walk there and another one back but I'll do it.
  • Starfae
    Options
    Since I don't have any idea of what you drink and eat I can't really help that much.

If you want to lose weight you'd definitely want to drink water, water and water. Maybe milk and you can have a tea (especially green tea) as well.

Portion control will help if you are eating too much atm. I don't know what you have at home, but just keep in mind that you don't have to eat everything. (Like someone buys cookies or chocolate, chips...whatever....you can just choose not to eat that.)
    It'd be good if you could be more active than you are now. (I don't know about that as well, so it's just something I'd suggest for someone trying to start a new lifestyle :))

Edit: I don't work and don't have a car but I still go shopping. It's just a 20 mins walk there and another one back but I'll do it.

It's about a 45 minute car ride without traffic to the grocery.. so I think I will have to put off walking there for now! Haha.

Currently, my plate is way full of whatever. I know it's to much. My serving of veggies (which isn't at every meal to begin with) is always the smallest portion on the plate.
    I can't stand water or milk. =/ It makes me thirstier than I was before... though I know if I stop drinking the soda eventually that goes away. (I took a three month break from soda.)

I also do very little movement at all during the day. I sit on the couch and do homework, watch tv, and care for my youngest.
    Trying to chase my eldest is a struggle. The stairs in the house are a struggle.

I just really want to be motivated to do something healthy everyday. But no one here is really supportive-- they all think I would fail. I'm just ready to prove them wrong. I just hate feeling alone. I need someone to help me get started, if that makes sense.
  • szonjakun
    Options
    I don't think you are unable to do it, but at first you have to decide yourself if you really want it or not. (coming up with excuses all the time is a sign that you don't want it enough!)
    If you get to the point when you really want a change you'll be able to stop drinking soda (it's filled with sugar!!!) and make healthier choices. I'm not saying it's easy, but you just have to decide it yourself!
    Having friends who support you (even if it's online) doesn't help if you don't really want that change... I know that it's hard to start, I tried many times before and failed, but failing is just part of it.

You can find a lot of information here and a lot of nice people who are willing to help.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Starfae
    Options
    I don't think you are unable to do it, but at first you have to decide yourself if you really want it or not. (coming up with excuses all the time is a sign that you don't want it enough!)
    If you get to the point when you really want a change you'll be able to stop drinking soda (it's filled with sugar!!!) and make healthier choices. I'm not saying it's easy, but you just have to decide it yourself!
    Having friends who support you (even if it's online) doesn't help if you don't really want that change... I know that it's hard to start, I tried many times before and failed, but failing is just part of it.

You can find a lot of information here and a lot of nice people who are willing to help.

Good luck on your journey!

Thanks, and good luck to you too!
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Track what you're currently eating for a week. Then analyse and see if just portion size would be enough, or whtehr there's any modifications that could be made.
  • scorpfem
    Options
    Can't you say when asked what drinks you would like for them to use the soda money to get fresh fruit and veg that you can eat raw,
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could drink sparkling water with a little lemon or lime in it. That would be a good substitute for the water. Regarding the vegetables, just think about the nutrition you will be getting from eating more and the idea that you will be a good role model for your young children. My Daugther-in-Law has a two and one year old, works full time as a teacher, and spends almost all of her time not working playing with the kids. That's pretty good exercise.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say, "Good Luck." This is Day 2 of my journey and I am hoping that charting my food and exercise here and reading the community chats will keep me motivated.
  • sharonKay65
    sharonKay65 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Welcome, feel free to add me as a friend. I am obviously quite a few years older than you, however I can relate to the staying at home with children. All of my children are now adults but I had 5 in 5 years. Now I am the proud Grandma of 4 precious Grandchildren and since I am no longer able to work outside of the home for health reasons once again I find myself with Grandchildren here 7 days a week :smile: Hopefully you will find the support and motivation on this site. I know I have and it helps to know others from all walks of life share one common goal.... to lose weight and to just be healthier!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Start slow. It took me more than a month to actually start eating healthy. Until then, I was only focused on calorie intake. It gets much easier as you go, especially the drinking water part.
    So for now, just focus on getting in the habit of tracking everything
    relapses happen lol, don't let yourself get discouraged by them, just pick yourself up and try again.
    Water /really/ helps in the beginning. Even if you don't like it, remind yourself that your body does. Drink as much as you can, then set your goal higher the next day. (like, aim for one glass today, two tomorrow etc.)

Once you get use to tracking everything, make small changes. Baked chicken instead of fried. White meat instead of red, water instead of soda. It'll come and eventually, you'll be eating more healthy foods without even realizing it
  • Starfae
    Options
    I sent some friend requests out!
    I started tracking and installed the app on my phone, hopefully. I will remember to keep up with it.

I did take a soda break before, but it was easier then as a had an addiction to a recreational drug. Come to think of it, it also made eating smaller portions alot easier too! Haha, but never again now. :) but if I was able to do it before I should be able to do it again! I really don't like lime or lemon though.. any other ideas to spice up my water?
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    A chopped up apple or 2 and a stick of cinnamon, infused in a jug of water, tastes a bit like apple pie :smile:
  • beccie2012
    Options
    Hello. I'm (Becky). I'm just starting back at MFP today. I'd like to help you with your goals. My goal, is to get back into exercising and eating the correct foods. I would really like for anyone or someone to help me be accountable.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you need a friend for motivation, just add me! I won't be the food police or anything, but I'll be glad to help. And remember this: If you fall down, just get right back up. There will be days like that, but as long as you don't give up, you can do it. :smile: