Zumba Skeptic

Options
Okay sorry for offending any of you or MANY of you I should say, but I only post this question so someone can correct me cause I'm sure you are not all into what looks to me like glorified aerobics.

I've seen good latin dancing, and good aerobics classes but this looks like neither and this was the 3rd video I found. So please show me some good video of this thing you are all loving so much? Otherwise I can only think that the appeal is that it's done to very very good music? Played it without sound so I don't know that's all I can think, it just looks odd.

I don't want to look like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ksfpQSrg0

Funny how the one person who "should" have rythm is the only one who doesn't?

IDK. It just does NOT look like something I want to be doing. (only interested because it seems to burn lots of cals. and lot's of my "friends" list do it and they don't seem like spaz's?)

Replies

• mumofsix
    mumofsix Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it. Such a great workout and man do you sweat lol But I admit I have seen some videos online and they don't look anything like what my instructor puts us through! I hope someone has some ideas of good dvds as I would also like to do it from home
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I can't get into Zumba either. I actually have done alot of salsa dancing in the past too..(as well as lindy hop, ballroom,etc) but I just can't get into it. I couldn't get into jazzercise either. I don't know but zumba just feels like jazzercise to latin music to me.

I think if it gets people moving it's all good. The classes are always sold out at my gym. I love it. Hardly anyone in the gym area when the zumba classes are going on...I practically have the gym to myself during those times!

I think Zumba isn't enough of a workout though. Maybe as a fun cardio option. I actually was tempted to take another zumba class..I heard them all dancing to gangnam style and it sounded fun. Now would I do it for a workout? No. I prefer lifting. And maybe that's why I don't like it. But I must say..the music is infectious. And the people coming out of the dance room after Zumba are always smiling.
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I Zumba occasionally, and to be honest my HRM only gives me at 375 calorie burn, tops. Haarumph! It's difficult to get a good calorie burn out of dance classes if you are not familiar with the routines. So, I will not give up spinning.

That said, it is fun, and yes everyone looks spastic and are happy when they leave. For efficiency sake, (for me) spinning and lifting are the way to go. (With the random Zumba class thrown in for diversity)

As for DVDs - I have the Zumba Dance Party and find it boring and don't like the music. Needs moar Shakira!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    People do it because it's fun, it doesn't burn any more calories than any other cardio of comparable intensity. If you don't think it's fun, do something you like. The biggest benefit is that people enjoy it, and want to keep doing it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    People do it because it's fun, it doesn't burn any more calories than any other cardio of comparable intensity. If you don't think it's fun, do something you like. The biggest benefit is that people enjoy it, and want to keep doing it.

well it looks like it should be fun, but then it isn't? hard to explain. maybe i should just think about doing regular dancing when the time comes, instead. maybe that's my issue. idk. I wish someone had found me a cool video where people really look into it, and cool, coordinated, and excited, instead of just excited.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the teacher. I had two teachers I like a lot. One with a Brazilian dance background and the other with an African dance background, so they have good quality dance experience behind them. But, with other teachers I did not like it at all. It just felt like some kind of weird club dancing and no rhythm, just supposedly sexy moves that weren't even sensual. Some dancers I know teach zumba because it's a good job on the side. But, in the dance world we kind of giggle about zumba sometimes also.

I don't do zumba. It is basically current day aerobics. It was bad for my knees and I need to keep my knees healthy for my real dancing. But, I still enjoyed it at times.
  • stormydaze_02
    stormydaze_02 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The instructor, music and environment all make a huge difference. I've gone to quite a few classes and while most have been fairly enjoyable, my favourite instructor is so passionate about her routines and music it's just infectious, and we all have an absolute blast!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba because to me it's fun and burns calories. I started because of a bad right ankle. Aside from lifting weights 2-3x a week, I also walk, jog, swim, ride an exercise bike, and do RIPPED classes for my cardio. I used to jog 4-5x a week but because of my bad ankle, I can't jog as much, and only jog 2x a week now. Zumba is easy on my bad ankle and going by my Polar HRM, I average anywhere from 800-1200 calories per hour. Yes, I look like a spaz and it probably doesn't help being a 6'3, 300+ lb man in a class of 20-30 females. Do people point, stare, and laugh? Yes, I've noticed, but I don't care.
  • bcassill2013
    bcassill2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I bought my gf Zumba for Christmas, and she does it. I've tried doing a little bit of it with her, but, just can't move that fast. But, that is one thing I've heard about Zumba is it really is more for females, or male dancers. It's just a bit too dancy(fast) for the average guy, which I now agree with :-/
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's the "fun" aspect that makes people enjoy it, and if you enjoy exercise then you're more liekly to do it.

But everyone's idea of fun is different, surely?

Watching Zumba without the music would certainly be a bit strange.
  • lcdreams
    lcdreams Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love zumba and take the occasional class. I'm not good at dancing - can't remember steps - but zumba moves combined with the music lifts your spirits. I come out of a class feeling mentally cleared and happy. Then you can go do your heavy workout. Have fun on these gloomy winter days!
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    Personally, I hate running. I went to a spin class and was bored OUT OF MY MIND - the instructor had the most monotone voice, the music was lame, and I actually got off the bike and walked out after 20 minutes. I have a road bike and LOVE cycling outside. Give me the real world. As for working out, most of my gym workouts include Zumba 2 days a week (intensity level varies by how much you put into it. It can be more intense or less intense), and 3 days of swimming and lifting. Everyone has to find workouts they enjoy. If you don't like it, don't do it. Find something else you enjoy and look forward to.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I used to do Zumba as an 'extra' to all the other cardio I was doing - in fact I used to do it after a 3 mile run as it just didn't push me enough.

I stopped when the instructor was gaily telling everyone that you can expect to burn between 600 and 1000 calories in 1 hour of Zumba and this to people who were barely sweating at the end! Considering I only burned around 350 calories running for 30 minutes it sounded ridiculous!
  • sproutypc
    Options
    Zumba really is a ton of fun. :) There are people that look like total spazs doing regular weight lifting! haha, it just depends on the person. The bottom line of zumba or any other exercise of that nature is, as long as you're moving and attempting the moves, you're burning calories. It is much more fun to learn in a class with an instructor's enthusiasm and motivation than from a DVD. I took a class for 3 months a few years ago, and LOVED it! The girl teaching was so much fun... gave us belly dancing skirts that jingled when we shook our hips so we knew how much we were really moving. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough interest after a while and she no longer offered the class. Now, the only ones close are on a Saturday morning when my husband is working. So, no more Zumba for me. Just give it a try... if you don't like it, don't do it. I bet you end up liking it though!
  • VISCIENTIST
    Options
    I go to zumba class twice a week. And I love it but I love dancing anyway. My instuctor is pretty good and the music is great. It is a great workout but it what you put in. I try to do the moves high impact if I can. I also do a 20 min zumba rush dvd and I love it as well. Zumba is not the only workout I do. I do JM 30 DS 3x a week and leslie sanson walk at home at 3x-4x a week. I have other workout dvds I might throw in case I want to switch it up.
  • sproutypc
    Options
    I will agree with that statement, but such is with anything... there are people who will put their all into it, and others who will barely move and expect results. If you aren't sweating and lookin' all a mess when you're done, you didn't work hard enough!
  • sproutypc
    Options
    Sorry, did that wrong... that previous statement should have been a reply to blobby10's comment. :)
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Do people really use the word "spastic" like that still? Sigh.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    don't like it...don't do it. I personally love zumba.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options

well it looks like it should be fun, but then it isn't? hard to explain. maybe i should just think about doing regular dancing when the time comes, instead. maybe that's my issue. idk. I wish someone had found me a cool video where people really look into it, and cool, coordinated, and excited, instead of just excited.

I think you'd find it more fun if you went to an actual class. I did Zumba on the wii and it was stupid and boring but at the class I went with my friend and we had lots of fun and really got into it. I stopped going because it was £5/week. I have p90x and Insanity so I've stuck with those instead :)