The Fast Diet

Options
Is anyone doing / thinking of doing The Fast Diet (or 5:2 Diet as it's sometimes called)?

If so, how are you finding it? Do you find yourself counting calories on non-fast days or do you just eat as you please?

Thanks,
Clare :)

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hi Clare, if you use the "search" function you'll find quite a few discussions on this already, as well as at least 2 special Groups dedicated to it.

So far, I'm finding it great. I eat more or less what I like on non-fast days, but I still calorie count. I aim for my maintainance figure of 1800, but I know I'll have splurge days over that.
  • ClareKaczmarek
    Options
    Hey thanks for your reply :)

I've just recently started doing it properly but I was eating in a similar way for around 4 months last year before I got married, and before I'd even heard of the fast diet, and had great results!

I'm just a little worried that eating without calorie counting on my non-fast days, as some people have suggested online, would hinder my weight loss. I find weekends the most difficult to eat well so I'm thinking that I'll try fasting for two (week)days per week and hover around 1,200 - 1,400 calories for the other three weekdays so that at weekends I don't have to calorie count so much... hopefully this will work!
  • nikkicancilla
    nikkicancilla Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hiya I've started this week.....today is my first " fasting" day!! So far so good....170 Cals for breakfast and 180 for lunch. Drinking loads so fingers crossed I won't get too hungry later!!
    Good luck with yours and its nice to see some results for someone who's already tried it.
    Nikki x
  • ClareKaczmarek
    Options
    Hi Nikki!

I'm glad you're finding your first fast day is going ok. The initial fast days are probably the hardest as it takes some getting used to such a small amount of calories, but I think with time it gets easier.

I generally skip breakfast on my fast days (I've never been much of a big eater in the mornings so this doesn't really bother me), have a light low-cal lunch, occasionally a small afternoon snack, and then have the majority of my calories at dinner time. I find it difficult not to snack in the evenings when I'm at home so I usually try to have a more substantial dinner to fill me up.

Good luck with the rest of today, let me know how you get on! :)

xx
  • nikkicancilla
    Options
    Thanks Clare I'll let you no!! My only concern is I go netball training tonight for 2 1/2 hours and am worried that I won't have enough calories to keep me full..... Think it's just trial and error at the minute.
    After today I will no wether this is something I can maintain or not.
    Good luck!
    Nikki x
  • ClareKaczmarek
    Options
    Will you eat before or after you go to training? I generally don't eat dinner until after training, but I know this might not be ideal for everyone. I attend a Bootcamp fitness class on Monday nights, and I also fast on Mondays and find that it doesn't really affect my training.

There's a section in the Fast Diet book about whether or not you should exercise on fast days and it indicates that training on an empty stomach may be more beneficial as your body will burn a greater percentage of fat for fuel, rather than recently consumed carbs, which makes sense. I suppose that's why exercising in the mornings is recommended??

I guess it just comes down to giving it a go and seeing what works for you. Hopefully you'll get on ok tonight. And remember it does get easier over time! :) xx
  • nikkicancilla
    Options
    I'll try and eat before.....only because I don't get home til nearly 9 and that may be too late. Also I suffer from migraines if I exercise and don't eat (my sugar levels drop apparently!!) I may just have a banana as I have the calories and then have dinner after.
    I'll see how hungry I am at 5:30.......
    Cheers for the info and support.
    Nikki x
  • ElGordoyFeo
    ElGordoyFeo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Started this fast diet last week - going well - MFP really helps to monitor the calories.
    I do keep a check on the non-fast days - it's all motivational.
  • ClareKaczmarek
    Options
    Started this fast diet last week - going well - MFP really helps to monitor the calories.
    I do keep a check on the non-fast days - it's all motivational.
    I'm glad it's going well for you :)
    I keep track of my calorie intake on my weekday 'feast' days, but tend to relax a little at weekends.
    Good luck! :)
  • nikkicancilla
    Options
    Hiya Clare
    Doing my second 'fast' day today.....goin ok so far!!
    Yesterday i ate 1550 cals (what MFP suggests for predicted loss of 1 pound) BUT i found it really hard and i was really hungry all day!
    I am thinking of eating a little bit more tomorrow and relaxing a little over the weekend....
    On the plus side the scales are showing a 2lb loss today!!!!

Good luck
    Nikki xx
  • Angie1366
    Options
    I am doing it - been on it since 3rd January. Lost 13lbs so far!! Whoop Whoop!!!!
  • lyonnesse
    Options
    Been going since 7th January. Doing Mondays and Thursdays, and dropped around 6lbs, which is pleasing.

First day was easy, second was hard, second week was more psychological, like there was this great weight hanging over me on those days. Then I caught a cold and let the third week drift but didn't eat too much due to illness. On first fast day that week I just didn't bother. On the second, I made a radical decision that has made all the difference to me - I sacrificed 61 food calories to have 5 cups of tea with skimmed milk. It was the black tea and coffee that were really depressing me (and I need my caffeine).

It's lunchtime on my fast day, and I'm sipping my second cuppa. I feel hungry but I no longer feel driven by it. I'm off to a meeting in 20 mins and I know that will distract me for a couple of hours. In fact, it's only because I'm bored that I'm thinking of eating.

The day after fast days I find no real urgency to eat, as if my stomach has shrunk. It's liberating. I just eat normally, but I am kinda watching the calories. I lost 12lb just doing the mfp routine then got stuck in a rut. I'm used to a routine based on that, so really I am doing 1200 - 1800 on Tuesday to Thursday, most of the time. Weekends I let my hair down a bit (a lot last weekend). It's a routine that is working for me at the moment. Long may it continue
  • Angie1366
    Options
    Hey thanks for your reply :)

I've just recently started doing it properly but I was eating in a similar way for around 4 months last year before I got married, and before I'd even heard of the fast diet, and had great results!

I'm just a little worried that eating without calorie counting on my non-fast days, as some people have suggested online, would hinder my weight loss. I find weekends the most difficult to eat well so I'm thinking that I'll try fasting for two (week)days per week and hover around 1,200 - 1,400 calories for the other three weekdays so that at weekends I don't have to calorie count so much... hopefully this will work!
    \

I did an experiment - I had lost 13lbs by last Thursday. So I decided to eat rubbish on feast days til today.. Donuts, Pub dinner, puddings, beer, wine takeaways and ready meals...

Since last Thursday I have consumed 10132 calories, I have exercised away 2131. So my average daily rate has been (Gross 1448 Net 1143) So in theory I should have lost weight. I didn't. I feel like it is due to eating rubbish rather than home made food, from scratch. MFP says I need average intake of 1260 to lose a pound a week.... IT DIDN'T work.

I stuck.

I am so pleased I did the experiment, now this week I am getting back on healthy eating, but will still eat the same calories! I think the body processes CLEAN calories differently...

Cheese Burger for 300 calories.... OR should I have grilled chicken salad for 300 calories... Same calories YES! But body uses it differently???

I aint a scientist, but I am happy with my own conclusions!
  • ClareKaczmarek
    Options
    Hiya Clare
    Doing my second 'fast' day today.....goin ok so far!!
    Yesterday i ate 1550 cals (what MFP suggests for predicted loss of 1 pound) BUT i found it really hard and i was really hungry all day!
    I am thinking of eating a little bit more tomorrow and relaxing a little over the weekend....
    On the plus side the scales are showing a 2lb loss today!!!!

Good luck
    Nikki xx
    Hi Nikki! That's great it's going well, and a 2lb loss over a few days is fab! How did you get on with your training on Monday night?
    I find it ok to stick to during the week, but I am hungry a lot of the time. Although it could just be because I think and talk about food a lot of the time?! Hehe I definitely relax a bit at weekends and rarely, if ever, calorie count. I think you need to have a balance, otherwise it would be impossible to stick to. For me it would be anyway! xx
  • ClareKaczmarek
    Options
    I am doing it - been on it since 3rd January. Lost 13lbs so far!! Whoop Whoop!!!!
    That's a brilliant loss, well done! :)
  • ClareKaczmarek
    Options
    The day after fast days I find no real urgency to eat, as if my stomach has shrunk. It's liberating. I just eat normally, but I am kinda watching the calories. I lost 12lb just doing the mfp routine then got stuck in a rut. I'm used to a routine based on that, so really I am doing 1200 - 1800 on Tuesday to Thursday, most of the time. Weekends I let my hair down a bit (a lot last weekend). It's a routine that is working for me at the moment. Long may it continue
    I follow a similar routine of calorie counting during the week and at weekends just relaxing and enjoying my food. I find this works best for me as I can still enjoy the naughty foods that I love and lose weight.

I also always drink tea / coffee with milk as I find it more filling and satisfying. I don't think I could keep going on my fast days without it!
  • hallucinogenic_lipstick
    Options
    First fast today and so far so good. Its not been as difficult as I thought it would be but its only 1pm lol!
  • melmckay99
    Options
    So on your fasting days, do you eat nothing all day or just a really low calorie intake? I would be worried that when it comes time for exercise, which I usually do in the evenings, I would pass out, lol. Do you only fast 2 days a week? I have never heard of this, someone enlighten me on how this works!
  • lissaann22479
    Options
    I've been reading this thread and find it to be interesting! I wonder if this is something worth giving a try since it seems to be working for you guys.
  • lissaann22479
    Options
    I think I'm going to do some research.