Help with nutrition distribution

Options
OK doing ok so far down 33 pounds. but sometimes I get funny days I assume because I am lacking something in the diet etc..

I am at 2200 cals I raised this from 2000 as per others suggestions but only use the extra 200 when I know I will be active then or the next day. on days when I am inactive with no expected activity the next day I don't try very hard to get "TO" my calorie goal.

but it seems I am not getting enough carbs (explains the funny days) doing good on the protein (want to retain my muscle mass) and also not good on the FAT either (both carbs and fat I understand I NEED if I plan to continue my exercise and training at its current pace)

SO what are some health ways I can add complex carbs and healthy fats to my diet without busting my calories? also want to try and control the sodium too.

I found out veggies like carrots broccolli and cabbage are great sources of complex carbs and I love them.

alas they are proving to be a difficult source. I can't eat enough of them. I GORGE myself on them until I am stuff (I do enjoy them) but I underestimated the VOLUME complexity here.

while they are very low in calories (good) and high in complex carbs relative to their calories (good) they are MASSIVE in volume for those same calories and complex carbs. I shoveled down 15oz or more of broccoli tonight (entire plate covered 1 inch thick with them) and while it was good I almost could not FINISH my dinner (picture in my notes for diary January 5th 2013)

SO what are some more calorier dense high complex carb foods I can add to my diet without busting my claories ?

I read on a google search some things one that I will probably like is wild rice (still trying to find some)

what else is good? preferably not "expensive" :-)

any other suggestions? I am become very active in hiking cycling and at the gym with plans to do 20 miles this weekend (first time ever if I succeed) and migrate upwards with a 40+ mile attempt in march metric century in july and the MS150 with a century september.

I started at over 455 pounds (unsure exactly scales I had access to at the time only went to 450) and am now down to 422.

I am one big critter but also very capable (good skeletal musculature structure and in reasonably fit shape "RELATIVE" to my mass! overall I am still quite out of shape compared to non fat people)

I can do 60 minutes on the stationary at gear 19/20 without too much difficulty its always the pain in my feet or my butt that stops me not energy level (working on that)

I can walk for literally hours on end without getting tired.

any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

my PRIMARY concern right now is MAXIMUM weight loss. I have an objective of 5 pounds a week whenever possible with a lower limit "desire" of 3 pounds which I have met so far this last month. (5, 5, 3, and 3) I am concerned I might not meet the 3 desire this coming week. we shall see. if I get less I will deal with it and move on but would like to continue to get at least 3 a week to meet my goal of losing 100+ pounds by the MS150.

I even put health to a TENTATIVE second place to weight loss for at least the first 100 pounds. I won't do anything to harm or injure myself (that would be REALLY bad at my weight) but I DO want to push the edge.

Believe it or not the harder I am trying and working the BETTER my results the BETTER my moral and the BETTER my focus and diligence get. IE I NEED to be on the edge to "keep the straight and narrow" in my head.

so don't hurt me but PUSHING ME is ok.

let me know what you got.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,928 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.
  • nerys72
    Options
    why peanut butter? you only get 2gb of carbs per 100 calories ? is there other reasons peanut butter is good (I don't much like it but can tolerate it if its that good for me in some way)
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Avocado.
    Nuts.
    Chia seeds (just add it to anything you're eating).

Those are the first things that I thought of reading your post.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Quinoa.
    Beans.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,928 Member
    Options
    why peanut butter? you only get 2gb of carbs per 100 calories ? is there other reasons peanut butter is good (I don't much like it but can tolerate it if its that good for me in some way)
    It's 75% calories from fat and you were looking for fat.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Try blending some of those great veggies into a smoothie. Easier to fit.
  • Enbee2
    Enbee2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    very active in hiking cycling and at the gym with plans to do 20 miles this weekend (first time ever if I succeed)

WHEN I succeed, NOT "If". You are going to do it grasshopper.