How often...

Options
Do you weigh yourself? I just started a week ago and decided to weigh myself this morning (fully knowing that I would not be down a crazy amount of lbs, but hoped for at least one--got 3!) and it was nice little feeling before work but now I don't feel like I want to weigh myself for awhile so I don't get too focused on the numbers going down, and as an added bonus the next time I weigh-in it may possibly be a higher number than 3! This is just out of curiosity. :)

Replies

• nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I weigh roughly once a month or so....I have a tendancy to get "scale obsessed", there have been times that I would weigh myself as much as 6 times a day! So I focus more on how my clothes are fitting and the improvements I see at the gym.
  • weightloser122
    Options
    once a week
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Never really think about it, but generally a few times a year.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    Once a week, first thing Monday morning, post bathroom visit.
  • witeowl
    Options
    I weigh every day, but I use a Trend Weight (trendweight.com) to look at the trend, not the daily number.
  • KashmirSeaside
    Options
    I weigh myself every couple of days.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I weigh usually once a day. Sometimes it can be quite discouraging. Other times it can just make my day.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    once a week. I used to weight on monday but we eat heavier foods on weekends not over the top but harder to digest foods. So now I have started weighing on fridays same time, in the morning before I eat or drink
  • KenishaFitness
    KenishaFitness Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Every 2 Weeks..Sometimes.. I look more forward to losing the inches, I measure myself monthly.
  • audra0831
    Options
    I weigh once a week. I have friends outside of MFP that weigh themselves daily...that would make me crazy!
    Congrats on the weight loss - way to go! :happy:
  • minsch
    minsch Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Twice a day.....when I get up and right before bed. If a big exercise day.....I also do it post shower to see if I lost.....if so drink lots of water!
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but that is just me. I don't analyse it and don't record it but it helps to keep me on track and makes me understand how variable my body weight can be.

Unfortunately when I only weighed once a week, if it was a day that my body decided to magic 4 lbs out of nowhere (as it does quite regularly!) I got disheartened and gave up. Now I understand that this happens regularly - in fact I gained 2lbs overnight last week but it still didn't have any effect on my focus on healthy eating and exercise!
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Once a week on Friday mornings.
  • Ramshots
    Ramshots Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    How often you need to weigh needs to be based upon your mental make up. If you are the type that has a hard time and get down if you see an uptick then you shouldn't weigh very often. I weigh myself daily in the morning and keep a log of my weight. I check it at night just out of curiosity. I now know that when we go out and have pork bbq that I will be up 2 lbs. the next day. I assume it's from the sodium because it will be gone in a couple of days. I also know that I will gain 2 lbs if I take Ibuprofen. That will also be gone in a couple of days. Ibuprofen is a form of salt. You really begin to see trends if you weigh daily but most people can't handle seeing a gain and become quite discouraged. My wife is that way. We call Saturday our official weigh in day and if she is up or even if it just stays the same, you would think a family member had died. Only you know how often you should weigh. Good luck in your journey.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Never, and it's one of the more liberating things I've decided to do.
  • mrswoodstock
    mrswoodstock Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    once a week. i was doing i every day but my weight varied so immesnsily from day to day it was fustratiing. id be 308 one day and 312 the next and 309 another. my doctor told me its my birth control doing that to me. so i weigh the same time every saterday.
  • wrotruck
    wrotruck Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week and check my Body Fat percentage once a month. That I can make sure I'm also maintaining the lean muscle and just losing the fat.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Once a week on Friday mornings.
    ^^Yep!^^ This way you've had an entire 'work' week of being good to see results. And it helps motivate you to persevere through the coming weekend, too!
  • jcsalsa
    Options
    I am trying to do it once a week on Wednesday but i get obsessed and want to know daily how I am doing. For instance I weighed myself yesterday and it was 220 today I did it and it was 217.1 but I will not count that number even I really want to.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I started my regime on Saturday, so I will be weighing in on the morning of Saturday :) once a week is fine I think.