What type of oil would be best for these?

Options
http://detoxinista.com/2012/10/homemade-peanut-butter-cups/

I want to try to make these without coconut oil. I don't want to use olive oil because it would make them taste funny, I don't want to use butter and Coconut oil isn't as healthy as people say it is....plus, it's expensive. Canola oil isn't healthy, either....but cheaper and I would need to use a lot.

Replies

• rana_bear
    Options
    What... coconut oil is super healthy but you could try macadamia or almond oil as that would compliment the peanut butter.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    What... coconut oil is super healthy but you could try macadamia or almond oil as that would compliment the peanut butter.

lots of saturated fat...
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'd just use the butter myself, love me some saturated fat :) Helps to absorb all of the good vitamins and minerals!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    hungrygirl.com has a frozen recipe of PB cups ......its made with chocolate chips, PB, cool whip and soy nuts ......its very yummy
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    Found a recipe that doesnt need any oils....lol
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Why do you not want to use canola oil? It's actually pretty healthy. It has lower saturated fat than olive oil, as well as a lot of poly and mono unsaturated fat.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    Why do you not want to use canola oil? It's actually pretty healthy. It has lower saturated fat than olive oil, as well as a lot of poly and mono unsaturated fat.

Olive oil is actually better for you.
  • scorpfem
    Options
    I would use rice bran oil it has very little flavor
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I use grapeseed oil in a lot of recipes, it is cheaper than olive oil
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The idea here, I think, is that coconut oil is actually a solid (its not a liquid oil like olive oil) so it helps with setting the pb mixture so it's not all gooey. I just found a recipe that said to use butter (not marg or fake rubbish.. actual butter.. it's better for you anyway) ** Using olive oil etc isnt going to help keep the pb solid and firm inside the cup.

I think if you're making something like pb cups which are slathered in chocolate I wouldnt be worrying too much, being that you're probably not going to be eating them all to yourself (at least not in one go!) so coconut oil isnt going to be a bad thing (nor butter) and its blooming delicious anyway.

** Edit:- and butter also, when cooled/room temp, is also solid and so will help set the mixture.
  • rana_bear
    Options

lots of saturated fat...

Some Saturated fat is important in our diets as it helps our bodies absorb the vitamins A, D, E, and K (these are soluble in fat only).

Coconut oil is also nature's richest source of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs), also called medium-chain triglycerides or MCTs. By contrast, most common vegetable or seed oils are comprised of long chain fatty acids (LCFAs), also known as long-chain triglycerides or LCTs.

LCTs are large molecules, so they are difficult for your body to break down and are predominantly stored as fat.

The MCT in Coconut oil is easily digested and immediately burned by your liver for energy -- like carbohydrates, but without the insulin spike. It actually boost your metabolism and help your body use fat for energy, as opposed to storing it, so it can actually help you become leaner.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/coconut-oil-benefits_b_821453.html
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    The saturated fat in coconut oil isn't bad for you. It's the canola & vegetable oils that are horrible. Coconut oil has A LOT of health benefits if you look into it, I promise!