beyond frustrated...still not surprised.

Options
I have never had success with weight loss. Well, that's not entirely true -- I got really low when I was 22 because my diet was steady on coffee, beer and Cheetos, and I worked a physical job while not on the Pill. I digress. I have gained yet another pound as of this morning, and this opposite-of-progress has me feeling quite down. I don't think my goals are unreasonable, but I'm beginning to question my own judgement, and that's never good. For reference: I am 28, 5'7", and coming in today at 162 lbs. I would love to weigh 130 or even 135. Or, hell, even 140 at this point. Please take a look at my diary and show me the error(s) of my ways. Or tell me to be patient, because maybe hearing it from you, MFP friends, will do the trick. More reference: I am working out every other day, full body including cardio, and on March 1st plan on starting 30DS. Also, for about a week last month I was doing that stupid HCG diet and eating only 700 or so calories a day. That sucked.

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Need to eat more.. Way more.

You have 22 pounds to lose.. which is not a lot. Aim for a pound or half a pound a week loss.

Eat lean protein, fruit/veggies, and drink plenty of water.

Cardio/strength train.

You'll be ok, but HCG probably messed you up for a bit since that diet for obese people.. and not people with around 20 pounds to lose.
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not technically overweight, but man...I am so tired of looking it! Eat more, you think? I can do that. I can totally do that.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not technically overweight, but man...I am so tired of looking it! Eat more, you think? I can do that. I can totally do that.

I'm 2 inches taller then you at 5'9, and about 4 years younger. When I was losing, I ate between 1500-1800 calories a day.. and loved every minute.

Took me a year to take off 30 pounds and been maintaing for a year.. going on two.

You only look overweight due to the extra fat.. which you will lose with a calorie deficit, strength training and cardio.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Check your sodium levels. The last few days I looked back at were good, calorie-wise (to me, 100 or less cals over is nothing!!), but you've got a lot of take-out and sodium-filled foods.
    Be vigilant about weighing and measuring everything, logging all things consumed, liquids included.
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    Check your sodium levels. The last few days I looked back at were good, calorie-wise (to me, 100 or less cals over is nothing!!), but you've got a lot of take-out and sodium-filled foods.
    Be vigilant about weighing and measuring everything, logging all things consumed, liquids included.

Yeah, it gets sort of messy on weekends, but Saturday is my cheat day to sort of boost my metabolism for the rest of the week. I don't know if it's a real thing, but it works for my fiance and I'd rather eat with him than alone, like the rest of the week. Plus, I don't do THAT terribly on that day/those days. But you're right, my sodium levels could be better. I just hoped that my water intake would help balance that out. I actually drink more than what it says on here, because I don't always keep up with this site once I get home from work. But 10-12 8 oz. cups a day is pretty average for me.
  • lisalower
    lisalower Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    We are in the same boat I think. I just posted a similar question.

When I look at your food diary, the only thing I notice is that you don't eat breakfast. I wonder what would happen if you tried eating breakfast for a week or two, and reduced some of the snacking calories to make up for it?

It might be worth a try?
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    We are in the same boat I think. I just posted a similar question.

When I look at your food diary, the only thing I notice is that you don't eat breakfast. I wonder what would happen if you tried eating breakfast for a week or two, and reduced some of the snacking calories to make up for it?

It might be worth a try?

I guess I always considered the protein shake to be my breakfast, but since I no longer have it every day, and only drink it on days I'm planning on working out, that might not be a bad idea. I used to eat breakfast every morning -- scrambled eggs and black beans -- but most days I don't have enough time, at work. And I definitely don't have enough time, at home. I guess I could try it again! I try to keep my work snacks relatively healthy, because I work at a desk and so am sitting almost all day. It makes me bored, which makes me hungry, and then I just want chewy breadsticks from the pizza place down the street. Ugh.
  • lisalower
    lisalower Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm desk bound too! It's tough. I have to leave for work so early in the morning, I've begun taking a Quaker Oats single serve oatmeal with me (200 calories) and a banana (100 or so calories) to get breakfast in. I am lucky that I can also go to our cafeteria and get an egg white vegetable omelette when I need the protein. Have you consider the single serve breakfast cereals you take with you to work? The oatmeal is great because you just add water, no milk required.

Good luck!
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    I'm desk bound too! It's tough. I have to leave for work so early in the morning, I've begun taking a Quaker Oats single serve oatmeal with me (200 calories) and a banana (100 or so calories) to get breakfast in. I am lucky that I can also go to our cafeteria and get an egg white vegetable omelette when I need the protein. Have you consider the single serve breakfast cereals you take with you to work? The oatmeal is great because you just add water, no milk required.

Good luck!

Being desk-bound is definitely tough. It's like I can actually feel the years being sucked off of my life, just sitting here. I try to get in some movement all day, and I wear a pedometer, but most days I don't even crack one mile here. You know, we have some raw oats that I can just add water to, at home, and I was doing that for a while, here. When I used to make my eggs and beans breakfast, I'd make it the night before. I'm going to start doing that again, you're right! I have no excuses. If a girl I work with can come in late and pump in one of the empty rooms and leave early, then I can sure as hell take five minutes to eat breakfast. Psh. Psh!