Started! Couch to 5K

Options
I did c25k years ago, and during the "runs" I basically did an old lady shuffle, but it definitely got me to jogging an entire 5k without stopping! My time was awful, but I did it! Last night, I restarted the program (it's been a few years since I jogged an entire 5k). My goal this time around is to run faster during the run intervals. I want to be able to RUN an entire 5k!

I did my program on a treadmill last night, so I could control the speed I go, I think if I ran outside that I would be more prone to slowing down on the running portions - does anyone else have that issue?

Anyway, just thought I'd share! :)

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Running outside vs. on a treadmill is a different beast all its own. The only way to know if you're going the same pace as you would be on a Tmill is to have one of those running watches that tells you your pace. I definitely run slower outside because I am inevitably running against the wind, uphill, or anything else I don't do when running on a treadmill. If you're j ust starting back up, I wouldn't worry about pace and all that just yet.
  • hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    That's so great! :drinker:

I just finished week 3 day 1 of C25k. I'm also doing it on a treadmill but that's because I'm in the mid-west and it's way too cold to run outside most days. My goal is to finish the program on the treadmill then go outside when it warms up and work on stamina/speed there. I'm running a 5k in June so I'm giving myself plenty of time to work on speed :wink:

Feel free to add me for support!
  • cmajeff
    cmajeff Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K app on my Iphone and most of it was done outside, in the cold of winter. But anyway you can do it, do it! I moved up to the C210K. I have my first 5K race this weekend! You Got This!!!
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Just finished Day 2 Week 2 C25K... so excited to get back into running ! Feel free to Friend me if you would like...I can always use encouragement and I do my best to pass it along..
  • Cshutchison
    Cshutchison Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I too have done the 5k program. It is a good program and I did run a few 5k's last year. I did the program on the treadmill, and to me it is much harder to run outside and pace yourself. I tend to jog too fast in the beginning and then struggle to get to the end. I have went back and done the program again hoping to increase my pace. Goodluck to everyone!!
  • verdouxkai
    verdouxkai Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I think I'll try and stick to the treadmill as much as I can, especially in the beginning, as I'm focusing on training to run faster than when I did the program years ago. The treadmill helps keep me honest as far as the running portions go! But I do want to mix in some outside training here. I'm in Texas so the weather could be 100+ or 28, depending on the day, lol!

Good luck to everyone else on the program! I'm excited to run my first 5k in years in May! :)
  • lenise07
    Options
    I am on Week 4 of the program. I just keep telling myself this...."It's about progress, not perfection. Progress is a success!!" Good Luck!!