need more protein choices

Options
I seem to have difficulty getting my protein in. Im not a huge meat eater in general (carb addict girl!). Any good protein sources for snacking, etc that anyone can recommend. I thought maybe adding a protein shake in my day somewhere might help but looking for food choices that would work too. Thanks :-)

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% Greek yogurt...one serving has 18 grams of protein
    Eggs
    Quinoa
    Legumes
    Nuts
    Nut butters
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Not a huge fan but lowfat cottage cheese with fresh berries. I do use protein shakes twice a day and still have trouble meeting my protein goals. I eat fish at least once a day if not fish tofu. I can't seem to meet my calorie needs without going over on fat. If you have any advice on that let me know.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I do egg whites and fake morningstar sausage a lot. I also do edamame quite a bit, cottage cheese, yogurt (some people do greek I'm trying to get used to that...), nuts (although high calorie). Some of these are high in sodium and crimes to some people, I deal I guess. Sometimes I do a bar, I'm trying to move away from that for a 'daily' thing (rasberry luna bars are my downfall) but the mint protein cliff builders are great for long hikes (20 g) Sometimes I'll do a tbl of peanutbutter with apple. I eat a lot of apples lately. Chickpeas, hummos (look for Dr. Hummos at a whole foods...not all have it but its amazing), baked falafel (made of chickpeas), blackbean burgers, black beans, white bean veggie chilli.
  • laf0026
    laf0026 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Luna Bars
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks....some things I hadn't thought of. :flowerforyou:
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Great site someone else shared here on MFP....

www.proteinpow.com
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Add foil packets of albacore tuna and salmon. The others above are all using items that I use as well. Good luck! :D
  • ptewasin
    ptewasin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    eggs, cheese, cream cheese, pork rinds, canned tuna, canned chicken, brats, fried chicken, fried fish, hamburger, ham, bacon, shrimp, crab, lobster, peanut butter, just to name a few. Yogurts have sugar and be careful of dried beans, lots of starch, (if you are trying to eliminate carbs.)
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm also not a big meat eater but want to eat more protein! I rely on greek yogurt, low-fat cottage cheese, lentils, beans, light string cheese, morning star burgers, and protein shakes to meet my daily goals but always need new ideas!

I forgot edamame! I sometimes eat it plain which my bf says is gross but I don't mind. I've also roasted them with a little olive oil and parmesan and they are a good snack alternative.