Strange Habits That Seem to Affect Weight

Options
Last week I seemed to be a weight loss machine. Then this week.... NOTHING. I'm eating about the same calories, drinking the same amount of water, exercising the same, etc. etc (and no, not about to start period). I finally decided to go back through my diary and figure out what I did last week that I'm not doing this week. Sodium intake was the same, nutrient intake was about the same.. then there it was.... TEA! Last week I drank hot tea or coffee every morning and this week I didn't. I'm wondering if that is the difference? Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Anyway.. back to drinking some Earl Grey every morning and hoping for the best! :drinker:

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You will never have the same weight loss every week. It is not linear, and happens in fits and starts. I weigh daily, and my weight fluctuates up and down all the time.

I would stop stressing about it so much and concentrate on your overall loss in a month. You will rarely get the weight loss you want day to day or even week to week, but after a month you will see it is going down.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Caffeine does increase your metabolism, and tea even more so. But I doubt the difference is enough to be that noticeable.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Water weight
    TEA and coffee naturally gets rid of water weight (obviously not all of it)
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I doubt tea has any impact, besides being delicious. Weight loss is just like that sometimes...I'll lose 7 pounds in 2 weeks and then nothing for two weeks, doing the exact same things.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to wonder if there might be something to grapefruit....

The caffeine in the tea/coffee is a dieuretic, so it would prevent water retention. That's not true weight loss, though. Let me know if it seems to continue to work.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. Like another poster said - it is NOT linear. It will not be consistent over every week.

Just watch for trends. Keep doing the right things for your healthy lifestyle and you will eventually see it work overtime. (Use the report tab to watch your weight over the month, or the year for that matter)

There are no such things as immediate results in life.

ETA: I just noticed that you have only 15 pounds as your goal on the ticker on your profile. The closer to goal, the slower your weight loss should be. (1/2 pound a week is a good goal)
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to wonder if there might be something to grapefruit....

The caffeine in the tea/coffee is a dieuretic, so it would prevent water retention. That's not true weight loss, though. Let me know if it seems to continue to work.

Men's Health once had an article about grapefruit, the author swore by it for weight loss.

I drink Yerba Mate tea almost daily, but if I don't my weight goes up a pound or two. Probably water, but I have noticed it.
  • Bobbyjr72
    Bobbyjr72 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was always told that if you start your day with warm water with lemon or tea that it kick starts your digestive system to be more effective after being in a fasting state overnight. I've since read the same in various diet books over the years. That and caffiene definitely has a stimulating and diuretic effect on the body. You should try it again and see if you notice the difference. This is why the food journal is important, I'd be intersted to hear about your results.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I was always told that if you start your day with warm water with lemon or tea that it kick starts your digestive system to be more effective after being in a fasting state overnight. I've since read the same in various diet books over the years. That and caffiene definitely has a stimulating and diuretic effect on the body. You should try it again and see if you notice the difference. This is why the food journal is important, I'd be intersted to hear about your results.

Well crap! I've been doing it wrong! My lemon water is iced down. DANGITALL! :explode: