Fitness/heart rate monitors - Need advice

Options
I was hoping someone would have some suggestions for me.

Here is the situation: I am in the market for a fitness monitor for my father. He is 68 and technologically challenged. He is also 6'6 and 320lbs so small buttons are difficult for his large fingers and aging eyes. I would ideally like something that can upload info to a report (or MyFitnessPal) wirelessly so I can set it up and he doesn't have to do anything other than exercise and see what he's accomplished. I am also not in the same state as him so I would need something that is easy to install and maintain. Turn-key simplicity is important for day to day use. He also has a pacemaker so I'm not sure a chest monitor is possible (or if he would even use something like that). I've seen wrist style monitors but I am concerned that the display and buttons are too small. Last constraint is no monthly fees. Let me know your thoughts.

Replies

• fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Not quite what you are looking for (because you keep it on) but I recommend the Fitbit.

The reason I recommend it is it helps identify a lot of non exercise activity.

Depending on the exercise, it may or may not pick it up like a heart rate monitor (great for walking and running, though). But I have found it is great for tracking my everyday movement, and gives me an excellent idea of how active I have been that day, even when I don't make it to the gym.

It syncs wirelessly and automatically to the computer and iPhone 5, so it is so simple to use.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Could he use a magnifier to see the display. Does he have a computer?
  • wampuscat13
    wampuscat13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wed 02/06/13 03:38 PM

Could he use a magnifier to see the display. Does he have a computer?

Yes he does. I'm going to visit him next week and am hoping to set all of this up then.
  • ttmorin
    ttmorin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have purchased a few heart rate monitors. The one that has worked the best for me is the Polar FT4. It reliably tracks my heart rate and stores my last few workouts. I love seeing how many calories I have burned after a workout. That way there are no illustions.

I don't have specific suggestions if the body strap is not an option.
  • fadedimage
    fadedimage Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I personally use the Body Media link. It doesn't have heartrate monitor though but it tracks everything else and seamlessly integrates with MyFitnessPal. To sync it, just plug it into the computer and it will sync automatically. Nothing you need to do (other than download the software once).

Additionally, there are no buttons on it that need to be pressed. Just strap the unit to your left arm with the band and it will start up automatically in 10 minutes and track your fitness, movement, sleep, etc.
  • samlankford
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 and I just got a body media "link"... the link measures exactly what you burn throughout the day, your sleep and some other stuff..
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit too and if you are just wanting to track calories burned, steps taken, miles walked it would be great. BUT if you are wanting to see the information a HRM gives you a fitbit is not what you want. It is easy to link up the data...which I like.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    At his age and with the health conditions is this device even necessary? Can he exert himself regularly enough to even warrant purchasing a device?
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If he is doing walking or running outside and has a smartphone with GPS, endomondo is really good and the calories burnt go staight to mfp. There is no need for a chest strap and you just press GO on the app. No good for other exercises or using a treadmill though.
  • SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use a motoactv, and it's super easy! I have the chest strap, but even without it, it tracks steps, calories, workouts, etc. The heart rate chest strap adds a more accurate calorie count, plus it enables tracking of exertion and that lets you compare how you were feeling during your workout related to heart rate spikes and lows. That information is kind of a bonus though. It's surprisingly easy to use and it's touch screen, so no buttons. It's also versatile for wear- you can use an arm band, the included clip, the included watch strap, or you can just stick it in a pocket. The major drawback is price, depending on the model you get and the package you want. I got all the bells and whistles (8 GB motoactv, clip, watch, chest strap HRM, armband, bike mount, bike cadence/speed sensor, and headphones) for $335.

ETA: Also, I contacted Motorola before I purchased to dispell any rumors that motoactv is being discontinued. It isn't, so if you're willing to pay for it, it is a safe, super handy fitness device.