Thought I was doing well until...

Options
I started my weight loss journey after new year as my sister got engaged on Christmas day and I have been appointed Chief Bridesmaid which I am honored to be. I want to look really nice for her big day and her wedding photos and her other bridesmaids are all so slim i felt I would be letting my sister down if I looked fat!

So I started with myfitnesspal and my Fitbit tracking all my calories in and out and increasing my exercise a bit. I work in an office 40 hours a week so I spend a lot of my time sitting down and have very little time to exercise but I have been really trying my hardest to stick to 1200 calories a day as recommended by myfitnesspal.

I thought I was doing really well, i've lost 5.5lbs in 5 weeks and my trousers definitely feel looser but when I went round my mums house at the weekend she turned around and said "I thought you would have lost that amount in a couple of weeks on 1200 calories" and it made me feel so upset! :cry: like she didn't think I was doing very well.

I have always suffered with low self esteem and have generally always been overweight. My partner is very supportive and always tells me I am doing well and he is a great help and tells me to ignore the negative comments from my mum but it's hard when you're trying so hard to receive such a negative comment from my mum.

I started off at 10st 9lbs and i'm only 5ft. Should I be losing more each week? Is my progress to slow?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sarah

Replies

• MelissaM528
    MelissaM528 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing great and i'm sorry your mom has not been more of a support to you but don't let her comment make you 2nd guess yourself.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Based on the numbers you gave, 1 lb/week of weight loss is fine. You should be proud that you've stuck with it and use the positive motivation of your partner to help keep you going.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss rate is just fine. Keep on doing what you're doing. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • chelleromi
    chelleromi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    weight loss is such a personal thing. the pace, the approach, what you have to do to stay on track....and only you know what is going to work for you. If it were me, i would try to look at the success and not worry about if it isn't as quickly as someone else thought it might should be. you've lost weight and you haven't gained it back and you are still working at it. sounds like success to me.
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Mom's can be mean. You are doing fantastic :)
  • Classyandra
    Classyandra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    People have crazy ideas because of all the fad diets. They think losing 10 lbs. in a week is normal. You are doing the healthy way and your body will thank you for that! Your weightloss so far is great!! Keep up the good work!
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think the way you're doing it is healthy and will last. If the weight is flying off then it's usually not the healthy way!! Stick with it girl. :)
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I would tell her directly that you don't appreciate her comments. Ask her to be supportive or not to comment at all. Not in an angry way, calmly and pleasantly.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You are doing excellent. You need to have confidence in what you are doing and know that you can't control other people. Insecure people say hurtful things, shake it off and enjoy the support of your other half. Any more weightloss than what you are doing will not be sustainable and you will more than likely end up gaining more than you lost if you try to go faster. I hope you are 'netting' 1200 calories meaning if you exercise and burn a bunch of calories you are eating more. Weightloss should never feel like a punishment, if it does, it won't last. Hold your head up, you're doing great!
  • marthathebear
    Options
    For some reason the people you think would be the most supportive, like your mother, sometimes are intimidated if you decide to make a big change in your life. I'm glad your partner supports you. Use all the negative comments to spur you on to victory. You will be a beautiful bridesmaid. Enjoy the wedding!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else...you're doing fine! Maybe you shouldn't say anything else to your mom about your weight lose and just let her see the changes?
  • cubbie_girl
    cubbie_girl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Personally I think 1lb/week is a great, healthy rate (and I think most people will agree). It shouldn't be about losing a bunch of weight really fast, or about making someone else happy. You're making healthy lifestyle changes (I hope) and that's something that's going to make you feel better, look better and live better. You're doing great! Keep at it and be proud of yourself! I'm proud of you.

Get some friends on here who are really supportive, going through the same lifestyle changes you're going through. There's a great group of people (2013 POUND A WEEK GROUP) who I just love - they are super supportive and encouraging - and are focused on healthy changes leading to healthy weight loss. Add me if you want. Join the group if you want.

Finally, make this about you, not about your mum or sister. It's about becoming an even better you (cause, face it - you're pretty awesome already!) If you're happy with you and with your progress - don't let them bring down. Heck, I've lost 22 lbs in 4 months, and not one person has noticed! But I feel great - I'm happier, more energetic and healthier! You got this girl!
  • DonnaCarmody
    DonnaCarmody Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sarah, you are doing it all right, a pound a week is normal so do not let other people get you down. Keep up the great work girl!
  • mmmahre
    Options
    You are doing great and also the right way! Dont listen to you mom. Stick with what you are doing!
  • DaisyJane
    DaisyJane Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Dont listen. That smacks of pure jealousy to me. She may not even realise it but I'd put money on it being that.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is GREAT..beats gaining or staying the same!

Ignore your mom's comments. You don't need her approval. You have support here and with your partner. Excellent.

You MAY want to re-think doing some more aerobics, though, as it will increase your metabolism and you may burn fat quicker. As a writer, I sit a lot all day, too, and I have bad knees to boot. I've had to make a real effort to ride a stationary bike and walk the treadmill. But before I got the equipment, I did some "workout-in-a-chair" exercises I found on Youtube. You can even do some of them at work.

Good luck, stay the course, and keep going! You're rockin' this!
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! There is always going to be someone who tries to bring you down. Maybe it wasn't meant the way it came out, but your mom's comment should not derail your efforts.
    I too suggest trying to add in some kind of activity. Get the partner and go for a walk each evening after dinner. each day make the walk a little longer or go a little faster. You will do just great!
  • alimarie53
    alimarie53 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE DOING GREAT! Don't lose motivation!

People that see us every day don't really notice a change. However whenever the wedding comes and they really look at you they will notice.

Do this for yourself...not just for your sister's wedding.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You're losing at the perfect pace and I think you should tell your mother that if she tries to make another comment like that about your weight loss. Geez! Mom's can be tough sometimes... Mine is supportive but used to make comments now and then that bugged me. Like, she used to ask "can you have that on your diet?" or "should you be eating that?" and after a few conversations I finally made her realize that this isn't a diet - I can eat what I want, it's the portions that matter most.

Thank goodness your partner is supportive!
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    research shows that people who lose at a rate of 0.7 to 1 lb per week are much more likely to keep it off than people who lose faster. If you lose faster, you are also likely to lose fat. So you are just doing perfect and setting yourself up for a healthy lifestyle. great job, be proud of yourself.