Why am I not loosing weight? :(

Options

Replies

• blanhe2
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories on top of the 1200. You are not eating enough for the exercise you are doing.
  • lucindat12
    Options
    As for the big bone thing - i have a wider frame or whatever go call it, go easy on me im only just starting out...
    changed my goals.
    calories burned from normal daily activity = 2290/day
    net calories consumed/day = 1500
    daily calorie deficit = 790 cals
    projected weight loss = 1.6lb/ a week

is this better or shall i up my cals? i am doing ripped in 30 by jillian michaels.(not every day) and walking that is all the exercise i do.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    As for the big bone thing - i have a wider frame or whatever go call it, go easy on me im only just starting out...
    changed my goals.

is this better or shall i up my cals? i am doing ripped in 30 by jillian michaels.(not every day) and walking that is all the exercise i do.

Just be patient. The non linear thing is true. It might take more time for changes to become apparent because fat loss can easily be offset by water retention and the like. Just make sure all your measuring is accurate and stick with your plan. Adjust if no change after 2 more weeks.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Before you start eating more, are you sure you're entering all of your calories? Including the ones from alcohol? I was shocked to find out just how much kcals a single glass of wine is. Ditto for any coffee you may be having: some examples from Starbucks come in at well over 600 kcal! That doesn't mean you cna't have any, jus tmake sure you know exactly how many calories it contains and if you have space in your cals for that day, by all means: have some! A Magnum Mini ice cream is about 150 kcal - you can definitely have one and it won't be the end of the world ;)

Secondly, have you taken measurements? Sometimes the weight loss does not register on the scales but you will have lost inches, instead.

Thirdly - and this is highly embarrassing, but - are you fairly regular? I noticed as I started with my weight loss (and actually, quite some while before I started) I'd have constipation problems. If you haven't... um... gone, then that's an extra weight that you're just carrying around.

and last but not least, don't panic just yet: a proper plateau is if you haven't lost anything in over 6 weeks. You're not quite there yet. It could be that your body still hasn't caught up with what you're doing.
  • rsward
    rsward Posts: 45
    Options
    Bump
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

actually what i said is correct...even an adult female of 4 ft 11, weighing 90 pounds has a bmr of over 1200 (around 1250 to be precise). whereas a 70 year old of the same stats has a bmr of 999. we all know you are not supposed to eat under your bmr...so please tell me, what is wrong with that statement exactly? lol

This isn't exactly true. I have a BMR under 1200 and I'm just under 5'0 and 117lbs. I'm not quite elderly, but older (31) and have a high body fat %, which lowers my BMR. Using the Katch Katch-McArdle Forumla my BMR is 1175.

Not true...

Custom BMR Calculation
    Thanks for checking your BMR here on Fat 2 Fit Radio. If you're not already subscribed to Fat 2 Fit Radio, consider doing so today. Please visit the Subscribe page to get the podcast delivered automatically to your iTunes, Juice, e-mail inbox or the podcatcher of your choice for FREE.

Entered information: 31 year old female, 60 inches tall, weighing 117 pounds, BMI of 22.8 (Normal weight).

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 117 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula
    There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1300 calories.

now let's say you're 25% bodyfat...

Katch-McArdle Forumla
    The numbers above are fairly accurate, however they don't take into account your lean body mass. A more accurate formula that does take your lean body mass into account is the Katch-McArdle formula. Since many of us have scales that will tell us our current body fat, this formula may yield more accurate results. Based on the information you provided, body fat percentage of 25%, you have a lean body mass of 88 lbs., and your BMR is 1234 calories.

(fat2fitradio calculations)
  • brownshuga30
    brownshuga30 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! You made this so easy to understand. I tried reading up on BMR, TDEE & RMR and go so confused. So thank you a million!!

Lets add some perspective.. your estimated BMR is around 1725. Lets say you are sedentary and don't work out. Additionally with 30 lbs to lose, 1 lb per week is ideal. Any more is too aggressive.

So your TDEE = 1725 * 1.2 = 2070
    caloric needs = 2070 - 500 = 1570

I would at a minimum aim to eat 1570 or 1600 calories a day. If you go for a walk, eat another 100-200. If you start serious exercise then you will up it accordingly. Also, to ensure you get adequate protein, I would adjust your macro nutrients to around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. If you want to drop a little water weight or feel carbs bloat you, decrease carbs 10% and increase fats.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    changed my goals.

You should probably be ok there. Just remember that you'll have to make some adjustments along the way. The closer you get to your goal, the slower you should be losing. When you get within 20 Lbs, dial that back to 1 Lb per week...when you get to around 10 Lbs to go, dial it back to .5 Lbs. Yes, it is slow...but you didn't put it on overnight either. The reason you want to go slower as you get closer to goal is because you will have a lot less fat stores for your body to burn so it'll start going after more of your lean body mass (i.e. muscles) for the energy. It's going to do that somewhat on a deficit anyway, but the faster you lose, the more lean body mass you lose...the closer you are to your goal, the slower you have to go to preserve your lean body mass.

You should also re-calculate your TDEE every 5-10 Lbs...unfortunately, the lighter you get, the less calories your body needs so your goal actually comes down a little...depressing I know.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I gained almost 40 pounds in ten months on Amitriptyline. That ****'s the devil, I'm sorry. If it's a med that you'd like to continue taking, your best bet is to up your calories some and increase your exercise. And I second the other poster - increased carbs and sugar cravings can really hit with that medication.

If you're on it for migraines, there are other meds you might try. Also might talk to your doctor if it's prescribed for mental health reasons. I switched to Trazadone after and was much happier with how the weight problems went.
  • lucindat12
    Options
    I gained almost 40 pounds in ten months on Amitriptyline. That ****'s the devil, I'm sorry. If it's a med that you'd like to continue taking, your best bet is to up your calories some and increase your exercise. And I second the other poster - increased carbs and sugar cravings can really hit with that medication.

If you're on it for migraines, there are other meds you might try. Also might talk to your doctor if it's prescribed for mental health reasons. I switched to Trazadone after and was much happier with how the weight problems went.

I haven't craved any sugary foods.. I don't drink alcohol and I track all my coffee and tea drinks. I am on amitripyline for migraines I have to go back in 2 weeks for a review so I might change meds not sure yet. I'm feeling good now I understand all this malarky. Thanks everyone wish me luck. Since I've been starving myself for the past 2 weeks LOL I have taught myself there's no need to go to the food cupboard when I'm bored and smaller portions and eat little but often. Thanks everyone.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I haven't craved any sugary foods.. I don't drink alcohol and I track all my coffee and tea drinks. I am on amitripyline for migraines I have to go back in 2 weeks for a review so I might change meds not sure yet. I'm feeling good now I understand all this malarky. Thanks everyone wish me luck. Since I've been starving myself for the past 2 weeks LOL I have taught myself there's no need to go to the food cupboard when I'm bored and smaller portions and eat little but often. Thanks everyone.

Migrianes! have you always had them? Are they sometimes triggered by either physical activity or lack of physical activity (i.e. if you do some strenous activity, then the next day you'll get a migraine? Or if you don't even get out of the front door on a Saturday, you'll get a splitting migraine on Sunday?)

because mine have pretty much disappeared as I stopped eating junk (chips. loads and loads of chips), lost the weight and got in shape. You'd think it's all in my head but I can literally feel the blood vessels in my neck and back be happy with the bloodflow. Though frankly I only noticed it recently: I still have almost all of my painkillers :o
  • Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    First, there's no such thing as big boned. My bones are, by in large, the same size as yours. You might have a wider frame, but big boned just means fat when people don't want to say fat. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's true.

I disagree. If we all had the same size bones, we would all be the same height & width (excess weight aside). Even at my ideal weight I wear a size 10 shoe and buy mens gloves because womens are to small. I most certainly do have large bones!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    First, there's no such thing as big boned. My bones are, by in large, the same size as yours. You might have a wider frame, but big boned just means fat when people don't want to say fat. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's true.

I disagree. If we all had the same size bones, we would all be the same height & width (excess weight aside). Even at my ideal weight I wear a size 10 shoe and buy mens gloves because womens are to small. I most certainly do have large bones!

your talking length vs diameter. Big difference. You can be a size 10 shoe because of fat on top of your bones plus your over all bone LENGTH is longer than someone wearing a 6 or 7. Disagree all you want but your wrong.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    myth-i-am-just-big-boned.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Lets add some perspective.. your estimated BMR is around 1725. Lets say you are sedentary and don't work out. Additionally with 30 lbs to lose, 1 lb per week is ideal. Any more is too aggressive.

I would at a minimum aim to eat 1570 or 1600 calories a day. If you go for a walk, eat another 100-200. If you start serious exercise then you will up it accordingly. Also, to ensure you get adequate protein, I would adjust your macro nutrients to around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. If you want to drop a little water weight or feel carbs bloat you, decrease carbs 10% and increase fats.

To update based on the fact you do 30DS

CN = 1725 * 1.375 * .8 = 1875

Just eat 1875 calories a day and eat around the macro's I posted. Fuel your muscle, burn the fat. That is what I live by. I work hard to minimize or eliminate the ability to lose lean body mass and work to optimize fat loss. So if I lose 1 lb, I want it to be 1lb of fat, not 1/2 lb of muscle and 1/2 lb of fat. Muscle is tight and lean, so you want to maintain it as much as possible. This way you will reduce the need to rebuild muscle through a bulk cycle. Going through bulk/cut cycles can just be tedious.

In reality if you aren't doing it every day, anywhere between 1600-1900 will suffice. On days you workout, maybe a little extra calories so you can push your hardest to optimize performance gains.
  • lucindat12
    Options
    myth-i-am-just-big-boned.jpg

I can 100% assure you I do not look like that. I have a wider frame. Maybe I should take photos to show you guys. Sending someone a pic like that isn't nice. I'm new to this board and I don't think ill be posting again
  • lucindat12
    Options

Just eat 1875 calories a day and eat around the macro's I posted. Fuel your muscle, burn the fat. That is what I live by. I work hard to minimize or eliminate the ability to lose lean body mass and work to optimize fat loss. So if I lose 1 lb, I want it to be 1lb of fat, not 1/2 lb of muscle and 1/2 lb of fat. Muscle is tight and lean, so you want to maintain it as much as possible. This way you will reduce the need to rebuild muscle through a bulk cycle. Going through bulk/cut cycles can just be tedious.

In reality if you aren't doing it every day, anywhere between 1600-1900 will suffice. On days you workout, maybe a little extra calories so you can push your hardest to optimize performance gains.

Thanks!!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYi9xjIRvbY

Watch please! And yes.. EAT MOREE!!:flowerforyou:
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options

This is great advice!

OP, if you need a little reassurance, I am 5'9" and I lost all my weight eating 2000 calories per day.