Really bad day :(

Options
Hi everyone, feeling really down, I hate my diet as I know it's so bad for me but as I cannot physically eat veg, fruit or pasta it seems all I do eat is stuff that is bad for me or full of bad carbs. I have tried to switch to the better things, well I though they were better, EG. Soya milk unsweetened and splenda but have been reading lots of reports even these are bad for me :( I don't go over my cal goals too often and never by much, normally under, just not losing any weight at all. I do a lot of walking on my crutches but pain is too intense to do much else. I really feel like giving up.

Replies

• jennisus
    jennisus Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey there! I completely understand what you mean...but to give up now would make you feel even worse. I just had my second child, and have alot of weight to lose myself. I dont have friends or family in my area, as we recently moved...so staying motivated has been hard. But you know, I found the books in the series "Cook This, Not That!" to be really helpful! The meals that they provide range from desserts, appetizers, snacks, etc., and they are all really great foods you can find in restaurants, easy to make in your own kitchen. My husband and I have been trying them out, and so far we haven't found a recipe we don't like. Diets dont have to be icky-- you just have to take what you want to eat, and figure out ways to revamp them into yumminess! Start somewhere, change little by litte, and before you know it, you'll be in great shape and healthier!! I just keep telling myself this as well, and realize that above everything, I am doing this for a healthier me, and if it's worth the changes....then I'll do it and stick to it! Just know you arent alone in this, but it's great to be on here for me to realize that I am not alone either...You can do it!!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Hang in there. We all have bad days/weeks.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, feeling really down, I hate my diet as I know it's so bad for me but as I cannot physically eat veg, fruit or pasta it seems all I do eat is stuff that is bad for me or full of bad carbs. I have tried to switch to the better things, well I though they were better, EG. Soya milk unsweetened and splenda but have been reading lots of reports even these are bad for me :( I don't go over my cal goals too often and never by much, normally under, just not losing any weight at all. I do a lot of walking on my crutches but pain is too intense to do much else. I really feel like giving up.
    Hi Rose,
    I'm sorry to you hear you're having such a rough time right now. I'm not quite sure I understand, you can't eat fruits and veggies etc., why? I can understand hating a 'diet' where all you eat is soya milk and splenda doesn't sound like much food, well I guess I don't know what soya milk even tastes like and I don't consider splenda a food but a chemical.

Have you tried eating proteins? Tuna, nuts, PB, chicken, other types of fish, tofu (if you enjoy that), all sorts of proteins that are tasty and very very healthy and filling. Veggies you don't like ANY? Not even dark greens, tomatoes, carrots, celery, peppers etc? How about fruits, apple slices with a bit of PB, apple an a portion of nuts?

If you can't eat any of the above I'm not sure what to tell you, there's not too much left if you can't eat from the food groups. Regarding using cruches, you could do upper work, with hand weights until you're able to go for walks further etc. No weights? Canned food, water bottles etc. work just as well!:wink::flowerforyou:

Hope something up there appeals to you enough to help you begin to eat healthy I think that might do wonders for your attitude as well, I know healthy eating can really boost my mood. If I eat crap or don't have time to eat rushing around my mood can drop quickly.

Hope your day gets better Rose:flowerforyou:
    Becca:heart:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Why can you not phyically eat vegetables, fruit or pasta? If you can drink soy milk and open a splenda packet, I'm sure you can eat vegetables and fruit.

If you are constantly under and are eating crap, that's why you're not losing weight. Try just eating one more healthy thing per day. First, work on vegetables - even if it's the same one everyday for awhile. Start with broccoli, sweet potatoes, green beans, or even just peppers. Peppers are extremely low calorie and VERY good for you so you can eat a ton!! :happy: Then work on drinking more water...then work on eating a lot of lean meat (fish, eggs, chicken). You can do it, just take baby steps. I had to slowly incorporate changes into my lifestyle because I knew if I went all in, I would fail. First I drank more water, then I added a little bit of veggies, then I stopped drinking soda, then I cut out sugar, then I worked on cutting out white carbs. It's a process. You can do it!!
  • HealthyPr10
    HealthyPr10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mabey you should try smoothies the Fruits and Veggies kinds. They worked for me. I would drink one for breakfast and lunch and eat a small meal for dinner. Just hang in there and dont give up.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I understand!! I dieted strict for 3.5 months and then I just got SICK of it. I had to take a break from serious logging . During that rough time I logged some but not all the time. I was also emotionally eating. This man I thought loved me basic screwed me over. But now I'm back and focused. You do the same!! I t hink this time of year is very difficult! You can do it !
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    ever since I started to drink nothing but water I have been able to eat what I am supposed to.

I used to drink soda ALL the time.... like 4 or 5 a day! That would make me crave chips and pizza and all that junk. You know how pizza only taste good with soda.

give it time you will get used to it, drink lots of water. Healthy stuff actually taste really good with water.... it's weird how it works for me!
  • DreamRose
    DreamRose Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies, what I mean by I cannot pysically eat veg, pasts etc is a mental thing from my past, believe me I have tried to overcome it but I am pysically sick if i eat them. I know how silly it sounds but trust me, living it is worse. I do eat meat, chicken etc just not much with it apart from potatoes which I know is bad carbs :cry:

Thanks to jennisus, I will try an get hold of the books you talk of, maybe I can find a way around it, heck, I know I can with all the support from you guys I'd feel bad about giving up :blushing:

Thank you x :flowerforyou:
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    I read in a forum here that one cheat day a week is good. it jump starts your metabolism apparently.
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi DreamRose,
    I feel bad for you and I really wish we had more info as to how to help you (why you cannot eat fruit and veggies, situation regarding crutches). But, if you do not want to divulge that info that is truly your choice. Please do not give up. Think about what motivated you to start this journey in the first place. Try to work on the small changes first and then build them up as you go along. If a healthier diet is what you need to work on first, then focus on that and then slowly try to figure in exercise. If you stay within your daily calorie goal, factor in healthier foods, and drink lots of water, you can lose weight without pushing the exercise issue for now. If it truly is a painful thing then maybe you need to lay off it for the time being. Most importantly, give this new lifestyle change some time before you throw in the towel...especially if you just started. Everyone loses at a different rate. Some people lose right away, while others don't see a weight change for weeks. If you haven't done so already, make sure you take your measurements because perhaps that is where you will see a change. We all have our bad days, but if we keep a positive outlook and remain committed to change we can all reach our goals. I hope you can turn this around ~sending positive vibes your way...
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    sounds like a low carb approach might be the best? have you considered using a South Beach cookbook to adapt your meals and snacks from?
  • Carrie_D
    Carrie_D Posts: 120
    Options
    I just started getting this new magazine that has a TON of items that are healthy and look really good. It is Taste of Home, Healthy Cooking. Pick up a copy and take a look. There is even a recipe in this months magazine for healthier mashed potatoes. Good luck!
  • donsch
    donsch Posts: 40
    Options
    Sorry you are having a bad day.
    Try changing your lifestyle just one thing at a time. The artificial things are really not very good for you. A good rule to follow would be if it was not around 100 years ago-you probably should stay away from it.
    try challenging yourself to make a larger % of your plate fresh foods. If you have a disability that keeps you from walking go online and see what kind of extercises you can do while sitting. I know there are things like wrist weights and leg weights that can be used while sitting.
    One day at a time-One calorie chioce at a time.
  • donsch
    donsch Posts: 40
    Options
    Oh, One more thing--Do not tell yourself you are on a diet!! that will jepordize your motivation--just make life style changes!
    You can do it!!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I know a girl who lost 30 pounds without eating veg or fruit .
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,732 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies, what I mean by I cannot pysically eat veg, pasts etc is a mental thing from my past, believe me I have tried to overcome it but I am pysically sick if i eat them. I know how silly it sounds but trust me, living it is worse. I do eat meat, chicken etc just not much with it apart from potatoes which I know is bad carbs :cry:

Thanks to jennisus, I will try an get hold of the books you talk of, maybe I can find a way around it, heck, I know I can with all the support from you guys I'd feel bad about giving up :blushing:

Thank you x :flowerforyou:
    Hey, I don't eat fruits and veggies either to speak of. The only one I like is spinach, so I have some of that every day. I know there are loads of people out there who say potatoes are bad for you. I don't believe that for a minute! I would bet you money that if you followed the MFP recommendations for calories and got every single one of your carb servings from potatoes, you would have success losing weight. I get virtually all my carbs from potatoes, whole-wheat pasta, oatmeal and whole-wheat bread. I get my protein from eggs (mostly whites, to keep the fat down), lean poultry, fish, and low-fat dairy products. I eat very little butter, sauces, dressings — all the things that pack a lot of calories/fat in small amounts. If you get the right potatoes (yukon gold vs. russets, for example), they're plenty moist and are good with just a little salt and pepper. Same thing with whole-wheat pasta. It's tasty enough without any junk on it. Anyway, I just wanted you to know there's more than one way to skin a cat, and as a fellow picky eater, I have all the faith in the world that you can do this too! :flowerforyou:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Dreamrose - about being on crutches - there is still a lot you can do depending on why you are on the crutches. My daughter had extensive hip surgery in March and while she was on crutches she was only allowed to exercise in water or on an upright stationary bike. Depending on why you're on crutches you should be able to exercise in water with a flotation device.

My DD lost one whole size while on crutches by following the water rehab program the surgeon gave us. She also did core exercises lying on the kitchen table on a mat as she could not get up and down from laying on a floor.

Ask your doctor about a water rehab program and find a local public pool to use.

Good luck and tell us more about the crutches.

JAM
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Poor thing..I don't like a lot of veggies either, but its how they are cooked. I HATE most cooked veggies, and ALL cooked fruit.

Can you try one or two veggies raw? I love raw green beans or steamed. I love spinach leaves uncooked. They have more nutrients this way as well. Apples, grapes, bananas peaches, strawberries...those are amazing, but I hate them cooked or in yogerts. lol

Try something less offensive and maybe try to work past the general dislike of these foods. You can change if you work hard enough. :flowerforyou:

Potatoes are not bad for you either. They have lots of potassium in the skins which I need. A medium potato has around 100 calories in it, and I don't feel too hungry when I include them in my meals.