Upping calories?

Options
I have been eating 1200 calories a day since September and have lost 20 lbs. But I haven't lost any in the past three weeks. I have been staying under in calories and exercising 3-4 times a week, usually eating back at least half of my exercise calories. I am getting discouraged and people are telling me that I need to eat more. I am thinking about upping to 1400, but I am afraid that I will lose at an even slower rate than I am now. My question is, would this boost my metabolism and actually help me to lose quicker or will it go at an even slower rate than it is now. I am 5 ft and 145 lbs if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance, any input would be appreciated.

Replies

• TammyKeaten
    TammyKeaten Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I upped mine because 1200 left me feeling SO HUNGRY all the time. I am trying 1700, and I workout for 350-360 of those, so still trying to adjust. I have several friends who tried the 1200 calorie thing that MFP defaults to and they all said it left them feeling so hungry and it seems not to be very sustainable over time.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    How many more pounds are you trying to lose? With you being 145 pounds then yes you are WAY under eating. Realistically you might want to look at a 1 lb a week goal now, instead of 2 lbs. Also, are you weight lifting?

A lot of people are going to throw the road map at you, which is a good plan to follow. But if you are having success with an extreme calorie deficit and your doctors say you are okay then keep doing what you are doing, but definitely up your intake. The closer you get to goal the more food you should eat. That sounds weird but it is true.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry? MFP set me at 1200. I found it impossible to maintain. So I cheat. Every. Single. Day. :) I was losing weight by keeping it between 1500-1700.

My rate of weight loss was 0.5 to 1 pound a week. In my view, it's a marathon, not a sprint. And I am looking at this as a lifestyle rather than a diet (sounds trite, I know).

Plus I get cranky when I'm hungry. It's not good for me or those who have to be around me.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I changed mine to 1400 something and have actually been losing weight a little bit faster now. I also added strength training to my routine. I do that 3-4 days per week. It helped tremendously!

And I'd also like to add, please never be "Afraid" of food or to eat. That can lead to some serious issues. If your body is hungry, feed it. Just make wise decisions. Best of luck!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I upped mine because 1200 left me feeling SO HUNGRY all the time. I am trying 1700, and I workout for 350-360 of those, so still trying to adjust. I have several friends who tried the 1200 calorie thing that MFP defaults to and they all said it left them feeling so hungry and it seems not to be very sustainable over time.

This is why everyone recommends the road map. Because it is sustainable. Ideally, a 1200 calorie diet shouldn't be given by anyone but doctor and over seen by a doctor because the health risks are high both physically and mentally. The road map can not only help you lose but help you maintain as well.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I upped mine. I am also 5'. Started at 143 and am now down to 120. I upped to 1610 for awhile and lost with that but then it slowed and my workout intensity dropped so I am now at 1440. I eat back some of my calories. I almost always eat them all back with extra on the weekends and try to stay below on the week. I almost always use some of my exercise calories.. I used the calculator at Scooby's workshop that people talk about on here to find out my TDEE minus 20%. I set my activity to light I think. I have a desk job but have 2 small kids at home, but also want to eat back my exercise calories.. That is what I earn them for :) For me, 1200 left me too hungry..
  • dgrawlings
    Options
    Sometimes the body plateaus in both weight loss and fitness levels. Accept it. It's merely "settling in" to what demands you've made of it. Consider changing something, such as adding weight training to give your metabolism a boost, or change up your cardio. Variety works to keep things fresh and challenging. Also, 1200 calories is really pretty meager for anyone to sustain themselves -- I don't care who you are. When you whittle down your caloric intake to that low of a level, you have to ensure that EVERY calorie counts toward useful nutrition. Otherwise, your body will crave, whether nutrient-wise or total calories. Eat more protein and fiber to help make you "feel" fuller. Drink water, too. That can make hunger pangs subside. Finally, be sure to spread out your intake throughout the day. Breakfast being the largest meal.

I'd increase my activity so that I could eat 1800-2000 calories. That's me. I know I'm happier. I love food.
  • nhess16
    Options
    Here is a little insight on what could be going on. Also, I have found great motivation and knowledge for my fat loss journey on Google+ fitness circles. Check it out.

http://www.coachcalorie.com/not-eating-enough-calories-to-lose-weight/
  • TammyKeaten
    TammyKeaten Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am not hungry at 1200, but I would like to lose 20-25 more pounds by this summer so I can sport a bikini. I mix up my workouts either doing Insanity, Turbo Fire, Walking and Hip Hop abs. It jsut gets so discouraging. I want to see the number go down on the scale and that is why I am scared to eat more. I have my goal set at 1 lb per week and it gave me 1220 calories.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about upping to 1400, but I am afraid that I will lose at an even slower rate than I am now. .

Before you up your calories, you need to change your outlook of weight loss. Faster does not equal better. Weight loss is about patience. Would you rather lose more slowly, eat at a healthy amount and be able to sustain it for the rest of your life, or lose quick, feel hungry all the time, do your body no good in the process and no doubt put it all back on when you start eating 'normally' again?
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options

This is why everyone recommends the road map. Because it is sustainable. Ideally, a 1200 calorie diet shouldn't be given by anyone but doctor and over seen by a doctor because the health risks are high both physically and mentally. The road map can not only help you lose but help you maintain as well.

what do you mean by 'road map' ?
  • ccllnply
    ccllnply Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 calories a day since September and have lost 20 lbs. But I haven't lost any in the past three weeks. I have been staying under in calories and exercising 3-4 times a week, usually eating back at least half of my exercise calories. I am getting discouraged and people are telling me that I need to eat more. I am thinking about upping to 1400, but I am afraid that I will lose at an even slower rate than I am now. My question is, would this boost my metabolism and actually help me to lose quicker or will it go at an even slower rate than it is now. I am 5 ft and 145 lbs if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance, any input would be appreciated.

Upping your intake by a few hundred calories won't speed up your metabolism, in fact you'll almost definitely lose weight slower. You have to look at it as an investment. Keep going with 1200, you'll lose motivation, start binging and put weight back on. Up your calorie intake to a comfortable deficit and you'll lose weight at a slower pace but for longer.

I hate to use the old cliche, but you didn't put the weight on over night, so trying to lose it as quickly as possible is not a good way of going about it. It has to be a lifestyle change
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I ran your numbers through fat2fit. According to them with what you described as your activity level you have an estimated TDEE of 2169 and BMR of 1399.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I would suggest eating over your BMR and under TDEE. As you get closer to your goal weight you may find you do better with a smaller deficit, and your metabolism will thank you in the long run. Do you really want to get to your goal weight and then have to adjust up from 1200? Depending on how much or little you have to lose will determine the size of the cut. You could start with 15% or 20%, stay there for a month and then you can adjust if needed.
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    I've been trying to listen to my body more too. I first try and drink 8-16 ounces of water to see if that helps. If I'm still hungry, I have been trying not to binge on carbs. Like just now, I satisfied a craving with 2 string cheese sticks (a better choice than the cookies I wanted to eat).

I worry that some of the time that I'm hungry, that I'm not truly hungry. But I figure if I make better choices most of the day (and stay away from the evil vending machine at work), I'll be okay. Nothing is more upsetting than having a kick *kitten* workout and weighing myself the next day to see I've gained a pound, so I'm trying to make sure I'm not eating too many carbs, which is what I constantly crave.

Previous posters are right though, 1200 is difficult for ANYONE to maintain. I found myself just mowing down on junk at times when I was at 1200 cals.
  • Countryslove
    Options
    When I started on MFP I also did the 1200 calories and lost about 6 pounds. Then I hit a plateau and didn't lose any for a month.
    I finally had to up my calories to about 1500 and I started losing again. You just have to switch things up until you find out what works for you. Good Luck!!!
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I ran your numbers through fat2fit. According to them with what you described as your activity level you have an estimated TDEE of 2169 and BMR of 1399.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I would suggest eating over your BMR and under TDEE. As you get closer to your goal weight you may find you do better with a smaller deficit, and your metabolism will thank you in the long run. Do you really want to get to your goal weight and then have to adjust up from 1200? Depending on how much or little you have to lose will determine the size of the cut. You could start with 15% or 20%, stay there for a month and then you can adjust if needed.

^^^^this! :)
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options

I like that link and it's less confusing to me than the ones you have to enter percentages in.

My BMR is 1376 calories and for "moderately active" (I do 31 minutes of elliptical to burn 340-360 calories 5-6 days a week and strength training for 15 minutes 3 of those days) it says 2113.

My question is, what if I am eating my calories for the day and I don't make it to the gym? Do I plan for less that day, or is the TDEE # something I should just aim for every day and not worry about the day I may miss the gym? I might miss 1-2 days a week and am never sure what to do about calories, and often I don't know until the evening if I'll make it to the gym or not (3 kids and it depends on what they're doing; I work a desk job during the day).

TIA!

Oh. I am 5'7", 128 presently, goal weight of 125.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    according to fit2fat , lightly active is 1-3 days a week working out, and moderate is 3-5 days a week. so if you missed a day or two for a moderate eating plan then you do not have to worry about adjusting your calorie amount as it is already figured in that you would miss or "rest" on those days. OOPs if you use the site I listed as fit2fat, you have already been on that plan huh...LOL, I should have said FAT2FIT, that's better!!!