Asking for help/suggestions

Options
I've been doing MFP actively for a month, but on and off for a few months before that. At first i was set at 1200 calories a day and was working out, but that left me feeling extremely tired throughout the day. Then I read the IPOARM and did the calculations for my BMR and TDEE and set my MFP close to my BMR (my calculations put me at 1543 BMR TDEE was 2382. I also did the TDEE-BMR, which was 839, half that total, 420, and add that total to your BMR which gave me 1963 to eat a day to lose 1 lb a week). AS you can see by my diary I eat on average 1980 calories a day which is between my BMR and TDEE which would suggest that I should be losing about a pound a week right? WRONG. I have floated around 164 since the first of the year. the lowest I got down to was 163. I am currently doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred for my workout, and i recently (aka last night) added 30 minutes of dancing on my XBOX Kinect. The first week I did 30DS I lost inches all over my body, and then this morning when I measured myself I had gained those inches back. I am now back to where I started on Jan 2nd.

I am getting extremely frustrated because I am getting no where. A few things I feel like I should mention. Im 5'4" and currently 164.8. My waist is 31 inches and my hips are 42 inches as of this morning. My goal weight is between 120 and 125 as this was what I weighed when I met my husband. I have gained 30 pounds over the last year and a half. 15 of them have been in the last 4 months alone. I went from being a retail manager at a ladies clothing store, to an office job which I started in october. I know this has a part in my 15 pound weight gain. In December 2010 I weighed around 155 and wanted to lose weight for my wedding in June. I danced for an hour, sometimes 2 every single night on Dance Central for the XBOX kinect and did not change my diet and by June 2011 I weighed 135 pounds. By June 2012 I was back up to 150 and stayed at 150 until I changed jobs in October 2012 to my current office job and then I ballooned to 164. I started doing 30DS on 1/21/2013 and I can honestly say that my endurance from day 1 compared to today is tremendously different. I am beginning to feel very dicouraged, however I will not quit because that is a sure fire way to fail.

Looking at my diary I would theorize that my sodium and fat intake may be part of it. But that I will leave up to you all to decide. Any help of suggestions will be appreciated. Sorry its so long and if there any spelling errors, heaven forbid I offend the gramar police.

Replies

• Slaci_Jo
    Slaci_Jo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Remember that TDEE calculators will only give you a estimate based on averages. You may have to adjust if it's not working for you.

It wasn't working for me either so I took 3 months and carefully tracked my calories, averaged them overall and weekly. I maintained my weight during this time, so I now know my true TDEE. It was about 300 calories less than the average of 4 different online calculators.

Perhaps, like me, you simply aren't average when it comes to BMR and TDEE.
  • BGM325
    BGM325 Posts: 78
    Options
    I think you should add fruits and vegetables to your diet and eat more often. Stay away from "heavy" foods. That's what has been working for me.
  • Slaci_Jo
    Options
    Your probably right. Maybe I will take a few months to figure out my averages and then see where I am going wrong. I'm obviously doing something wrong otherwise I would see a difference by now I would think.
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You're eating chocolate bars for breakfast! Also a lot of high sodium take out food. No one is perfect but I suggest adding in some fruits and vegetables and maybe some homecooked meals. Good luck!
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I took a peak at your diary. You may be hitting your calorie goal, but it's with mostly processed/take-out foods, and almost no fruits/vegetables. Your energy levels are probably low because you're not giving yourself proper nutrition. You can eat a lot more quality food throughout the day, instead of one or two really caloric meals and I'm sure you'll start to feel better. The inches/scale will come down eventually.
  • Slaci_Jo
    Options
    80% of my dinners and most of my lunches are homecooked. I will add some fruits and veggies and keep a closer eye on my sodium. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend some fruits, vegetables and dairy.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you switch from low calories to TDEE you can actually gain before your body adjusts back to normal processing. I say give it at least 4 weeks before you change it and then, after 4 weeks, you can adjust if necessary.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    This is not an exact science, so a lot of your time and energy, especially when you are just starting out, goes into getting a feel for things... figuring out how many cals you need, what types of workouts you like, what your macros should be, etc etc. you've only been at it for a month... keep doing what you're doing, make small changes here and there so it's easier to see if those changes are helping or hurting. In time you'll find your "sweet spot" and know what you need to do for the results you want to see.
  • Slaci_Jo
    Options
    I took a peak at your diary. You may be hitting your calorie goal, but it's with mostly processed/take-out foods, and almost no fruits/vegetables. Your energy levels are probably low because you're not giving yourself proper nutrition. You can eat a lot more quality food throughout the day, instead of one or two really caloric meals and I'm sure you'll start to feel better. The inches/scale will come down eventually.

I have got to quit giving in when the girls in my office pick up lunch lol. My energy level has been fine since I started eating more calories, it was just low when I was only eating 1200. And i see a trend with the fruits and veggies ao I will pick some up next time I grocery shop.

I have a hard time with dairy. I hate the taste of milk but I love cheese (which is bad because cheese is processed). I like yogurt, but I know like the Yoplait lights and some of the yogurts out there use Aspartame, which I am trying to stay away from. Trying is the key work there lol
  • Slaci_Jo
    Options
    This is not an exact science, so a lot of your time and energy, especially when you are just starting out, goes into getting a feel for things... figuring out how many cals you need, what types of workouts you like, what your macros should be, etc etc. you've only been at it for a month... keep doing what you're doing, make small changes here and there so it's easier to see if those changes are helping or hurting. In time you'll find your "sweet spot" and know what you need to do for the results you want to see.

AND

"Sometimes when you switch from low calories to TDEE you can actually gain before your body adjusts back to normal processing. I say give it at least 4 weeks before you change it and then, after 4 weeks, you can adjust if necessary. "

Thanks! I will just give it another month or so, while adding the fruits and veggies and see where it goes!
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree with the recommendations about adding more whole fruits / vegetables to your intake.

As for figuring out the proper calorie intake for you, I would recommend taking at least a month and weighing and logging everything. (Weighing is a key part of this - volume measures on calorie labels are notoriously unreliable). Given your BMR calculation and the fact that you haven't been losing at 1980, I would set your daily goal for somewhere around 1700 or 1750 and eat back all your exercise calories. Track religiously for a month and see what your numbers are like. Doing something similar to this worked for me to determine where to set my calories.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, weight loss isn't linear, especially for us girls. If you like them, try and eat more fruits and veggies as others have suggested. Are you weighing/measuring your food to be sure the portions are accurate? How are you calculating your calories burned for exercise - HRM or what MFP says? For me MFP calculates my exercise calories at almost double what my HRM says. Also, take measurements as well as weighing. Sometimes due to water retention, the scale won't move but the tape measure will. Give this new calorie goal 2-4 weeks before getting too discouraged. If you haven't started loosing by the, adjust it and try again. Good luck!
  • LouiseH238
    LouiseH238 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I think you might be right about your level of sodium (and MFP is too high in terms of sodium for women, our RDA is actually 2300mg per day.) I also see fairly few veggies and fruits in your diary.

Perhaps keep at it but try to reduce your sodium (which will come naturally if you eat less processed food) and add more veggies and fruits. Good luck!
  • RIGSBY2013
    RIGSBY2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have only a few suggestion since I have only been on this a month but lost 11 lbs..i use the following
    Kroger carbmaster yogart--for breakfast and coffee
    I will drink diet pop fills me up and no carbs or calories
    I only weight my self once a month , so I dont get stressed out over numbers
    I dont deprieve (however you spell it ) myself of NOTHING, IF I WANT IT I WILL EAT A SMALL PORTION, it stops the crave .
    I work out 15 mins in the am with Tracy Anderson on U- Tube and 15 at night , I change it up arms in the morning , abs at night...
    I NEVER SAY IT IS A DIET , I THINK OF IT AS DIFFERENT CHOICES , CRAZY I TRICK MY MIND AND HOW I THINK,,

SO FAR IT HAS WORKED , I AM PUSHING TO 15 LBS OFF BY THE END OF FEB

Tamara.
  • benflando
    Options
    Vegetables, Fiber, and carb sources such as rice cakes, pop chips, and brown rice can really help. Along with moderate fat intake. Try to lean more towards cleaner sources of food. There's a different between eating 2000 calories of donuts and 2000 calories worth of broccoli. Your body breaks them down differently. Take a look at those points and keep at it.
  • Slaci_Jo
    Options
    BlackKat- Should I set my net for 1700? This may be a stupid question, but all of the calculations has really made my head spin.

ChangingAmand- My calories burned are mostly MFP, I know that the once calculated for dancing are what the Kincect shows me as calories burned. I would like to get a HRM, but I can't afford any of the expensive ones, and I am not sure how accurate some of the lower quality ones are. Any suggestions? Also I take me measurements once a week, as I sew a little on the side, and it flucuates every week. I'll be down then back up then down again.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    BlackKat- Should I set my net for 1700? This may be a stupid question, but all of the calculations has really made my head spin.

Yes - net 1700, so you'd eat back all your exercise calories. (TDEE generally doesn't have you eating back exercise cals unless you set you set your self as sedentary). (And don't feel bound to the 1700 number, I was just trying to find something above your BMR, but below the number that hasn't been working for you.)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    FWIW... I fail to see how adding fruits and veggies will help with weight loss. Overall health? Sure. But simple weight loss? Someone enlighten me.