Low Calorie Protein Sources

Options
I have trouble getting enough protein each day. I'm lucky if I can get 1/3 of what's recommended and I understand that's low. I only get about 1200 calories per day so I need something that is relatively low calorie and not disgusting. I don't think I could use a drink for an entire meal and stick with it. I do eat back my exercise calories but I have a physical disability so my exercise is rather limited so it doesn't open up many calories for me. (Heavy lifting is something I want to do as I find strength work easier than cardio but I can't afford a gym membership so I haven't explored that much. )

I'm also not a big fan of meat so I'd love some advice on protein sources that do not require meat.

Replies

• JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm also not a big fan of meat so I'd love some advice on protein sources that do not require meat.

Get over it and eat meat.
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Egg whites if you are really concerned with keeping calories low.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Egg whites
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Egg whites/whole eggs
    Fish (some don't consider fish meat)
    Milk
    Quinoa

Do you not like meat for an ethical reason or have you not had a meat you like? There are plenty of good, lean sources of meat out there including chicken breast, turkey, pork, and lean steak.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    eggs, greek yogurt, lentils,
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    Fish
    Eggs (or egg substitutes as they tend to be lower in cals)
    Edamame
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Protein powder.
  • DsAdvocate
    DsAdvocate Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Partly ethical, partly cost, and partly ick factor. We're on a tight budget and meat doesn't really fit into it. We have about $6.50/day to feed both of us and meat around here is more expensive than that. Sometimes we can find really good deals on pork loin in which case we'll get it and make pulled pork which covers a few meals for a few days. My partner sometimes gets meat for free from work and then we'll eat it but raw meat grosses me out something fierce so I only eat it when he cooks what's been given to us. I also have an autoimmune disease and shouldn't be handling raw meat anyways.
  • jsedai
    Options
    Beans
  • suesnowflake
    Options
    Something to know is, Milk doesn't have any iron in it like meat does. So make sure you are getting enough iron so you don't get anemic.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt. I use Dannon light and fit....80 calories and around 12 gms pf protein. Tofu and beans are a good source also.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Chicken Breast.
  • crewealexfan
    crewealexfan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    prawns/shrimp
  • Buckeye_Fittie
    Options
    egg whites and greek yoghurt.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you've never tried a protein shake, you might want to give it a shot. Email the companies, and they might mail you a sample to see if you'll like it. Cost-wise, a scoop of protein powder might cost less than a similar amount of protein from other sources. Especially if meat is expensive where you live. For me, eggs are the cheapest, easiest source of protein.

Edited to add: you also might be surprised how long-lasting energy you can get from a scoop of protein powder mixed with some milk and/or a banana.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    Fish
    Eggs (or egg substitutes as they tend to be lower in cals)
    Edamame

I have the same problem, but Peanut Butter is 200 cal per 9 grams of protein, I wouldn't call that low calorie. The others listed are fine. Canned Tuna Fish is really good too.
  • KolaCabana
    KolaCabana Posts: 19
    Options
    bump
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    bump

REALLY?!?!

Thread_Necromancy_3038_zpse042385b.jpg
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Basically you are looking for "non-fat" protien sources.

Any skim ( or fat free) dairy would work

Egg Beaters are generally fat free (really they are egg whites)

Protein powder is versitile .... you can add it to oatmeal (and other stuff)
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    bump

REALLY?!?!

Thread_Necromancy_3038_zpse042385b.jpg

This thread isn't THAT old, jesus