Runners and Leg work outs ?

Options
Hi Runners ,I'm looking for some advice on incorporating a leg routine back into my exercise regime. I currently run between 15-20 miles per week. I'd like to try and build some muscle with squats and etc but i'm worried it will just be too much on the legs with all the running. Any advice or routines that doesn't totally cut into the running schedule would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Mike

Replies

• Wendywasilewski
    Wendywasilewski Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm not a hardcore runner, just ran my first 1/2 a few weeks ago (and yes I RAN at 2:27 ... I'm just a slow runner...which I'd like to change....I think I likely 'walked' about 1 mile of it), however, what i can tell you is I had to lessen my zumba training while training for running (as I have some squat happy instructors)

However, I DID still get in 2 zumba classes per week (one of which was heavier on squatting because it's a zumba toning class) for most of my training for the 1/2.

Also, I would do 1-2 days a week of circuit machine training that had some leg work (focusing possible disproportionatly more on my glutes/hamstrings/upper legs vs the lower that I should have worked on). I was running between 12-18 miles/week during that time.

I'm taking some time off now to do more weight/toning/core work and only running 1-2 days a week (no long runs) for a total of 5-10 miles until I get some of those other factors in order and cross training for other cardio. I want to pick up my running training again around easter and hope that the work I will do on my core will be of some help (from what I've read).

Probably more detail than you need but I'm working out a plan of my own sorry :)

Summary: I had to cut down on my leg work to keep up with my running schedule, but I didn't have to cut it out entirely.
  • mecmic
    mecmic Posts: 45
    Options
    Hey thanks for your feedback , not much response on this topic hahah. Once i started running i just stopped training legs due to the mileage I was putting in. I'm thinking maybe I can hit them on Monday then run wed-friday-sunday. Something like that.
    In anycase thank you.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I do a long run (12 miles) on Sunday, shorter faster run on Tuesday (about 5/6 miles) and a short run followed by hill sprints on a Friday (usually about 3 miles + 6x 30secs up a hill).

Best for me is gym legs on a Thursday, and my two other gym days on Monday and Saturday. It's working OK for me. I used to do gym legs on Monday, but after the long run on Sunday it left me too sore for a decent Tuesday run.

Hope that is of some use?
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I try to schedule my day of rest following a weight workout abd before my long run. For me, fresh legs on the long run is most important.

Prior to this phase of my running, I worked out like this:

Monday: Short run plus upper body
    Tuesday: Medium run or tempo
    Wednesday: Lower body and abs plus short run
    Thursday: DOR
    Friday: Long run
    Sunday; Cross Training (usually a hike as we are very in to hiking as a family)

Edit: I will probably go back to something like this once my body adapts to the new lifting program a little more. I just try to make sure that I have no leg workouts the day before my "quality runs," ie the tempo/hillwork/medium runs durin the week and the long runs on the weekend
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Shouldnt be a problem to squeeze in 1 or 2 leg days on a 15-20mpw run load. You can try to split your workouts, lift in the morning, sun in the evening, or lift on an off day, and having the run the day after an easy one.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I generally run 30-35 miles a week. I do my long runs on weekends so I do legs on Tuesdays so I have plenty of recovery time - although I usually also do a medium distance run (8 miles) or hill run on Tuesdays at lunch .... sneak that in before my legs know what hit them.
  • mecmic
    mecmic Posts: 45
    Options
    Thanks for all of your advice , I have to get my act together! Everyone is so helpful on these forumns.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I usually do legs on days when my runs are no more than 30 mins long (around 3 miles for informational purposes). Make sure you do some cool down stretching between running and legs I usually stretch and do my pilates ab series so I have some time off my feet. Also, don't be afraid to tone down what you may normally do on a regular leg day at teh beginning. You've already been working so maybe do 1 or 2 less sets, lighten weight, etc. My body will tell me when enough is enough so listen to what it's telling you and go from there. Also, if you are really sore try stretching and massaging those sore legs right out of the shower...it takes time off recovery for me plus lots of water (obvi).