Sugar Addict

Options
Help! I'm a sugar addict! Ha.

Does anyone have any tips for quelling the cravings? It's especially bad when I'm at home for hours (like in the evenings) or when I'm in a one mile radius of a bakery. lol Okay, not so much the bakery. I can avoid that. But when I'm home, I have a hard time saying no.

What do you do that helps?

Thanks!

Sam

Replies

• shushy70
    shushy70 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    the best way to curb your cravings is to eat low carb , after the first few days up to a week , then the cravings dissapear
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Jen and I really fancy a snickers bar right now!! luckily the nearest corner shop if 5 miles away so I can't have one right now.....but if I happen to pass a shop on the way home I may have to stop and buy one!

That said as long as it is within my calorie limits any food is on the menu! (extra cardio for me then later)
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Dont have sugary foods in the house!! It's the only way I've found to resist them and once you've been without them for a few days it becomes so much easier to bear. Another tip I had once was instead of sweetener in your hot drinks, try half a teaspoon of sugar as this is a) more easily burned and b) gives in to the craving without damaging your calorie count!

And remember, when you eat sugar you are making the decision to let your body control you!
  • suewestcountry
    suewestcountry Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I make something like sticky chicken for dinner and the honey in it seems to stop me wanting a sugar hit.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I used to carry a low calorie fruit snack in my purse for a little something sweet. And I started to drink fruit teas without sugar. It is terrible at first but you get used to it. It adds a little sweet when you get used to it.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    I am not a sweets person... BUT when I crave sweets, I find these 3 things helpful and have worked for me in the past:

1. pineapple
    2. tea with a bit of milk and sugar
    3. DARK DARK chocolate! (like 80%)
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If you figure this out let me know. I understand the craving. I get to about 5pm and the sugar craving hits like a ton of bricks. I usually try to quell it with a squirt of honey. Apple works too. Last night three handfuls of peanut mm's (yum) quelled it, now I have to burn some extra calories today. Good luck.
    Help! I'm a sugar addict! Ha.

Does anyone have any tips for quelling the cravings? It's especially bad when I'm at home for hours (like in the evenings) or when I'm in a one mile radius of a bakery. lol Okay, not so much the bakery. I can avoid that. But when I'm home, I have a hard time saying no.

What do you do that helps?

Thanks!

Sam
  • shannonS108
    shannonS108 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I recommend keeping some lower cal sugary treats around to keep you from binging on something worse. Maybe some 100 calorie snack packs?

I made myself a low cal chocolate cupkake recipe i found onlline by mixing 1 package of chocolate cake mix with a 15 oz can of pumpkin. Then baking them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. They're delicious and I can't even taste the pumkin.
  • EllenC7
    EllenC7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The best way to avoid sugar cravings is to avoid sugar! For me anyway, if I remove all the refined sugar from my diet and leave only fruit and low GI carbs then I don't crave it, but even so much as a little bit of sugar in a coffee and I want more and more and more all day. Chromium supplements also take the edge off. Good luck!
  • Sammiebird
    Sammiebird Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    All great advice! Thank you!

I do find that the more sugar I eat, the more I want. That is definitely true. Same with carbs, I think. Things like bread. Mmmm.

Getting it out of the house is not an option, unfortunately. Too many people living there. And honestly, I think if I don't allow myself to have some, then I would quit my diet out of sheer frustration. So I have to find that balance between having some and having too much. The other question is are all calories equal? If I have say 200 calories left at the end of the day is it okay to have a bowl of ice cream? Especially if I'm exercising everyday? Does it make a difference to my weight loss?

Thanks everyone!
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Try 1 tsp of buckwheat honey---only 20 calories, all natural. Very thick--fudgy in the mouth--takes a few minutes to consume from the spoon and should quell any sweet craving that you have (3 times a day= 60 calories). Supposed to be very good for you as well (Antioxidants?). My mom is a "sugar *kitten*" and it does help keep her away from her "bad stuff".
  • cindypaul4
    Options
    kudo bars, they have some that taste just like a snickers, also some that have m&m's on them and there only 100 cal
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth too. I've found that eating more natural sugars helps a lot. My go-to snack (at home, at least) is a spoonful of honey. 60 calories and usually kills my cravings.
  • janiedemp
    Options
    If you use artificial sweetners cut down on them. They cause you to crave sugar too. I've cut down on them and it has helped I still crave sugar but it has lessened.
  • f1tforever
    f1tforever Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Taking chromium with my meals and L-glutamine right when I get cravings works like a charm! The key is really to balance blood sugar for me.

Take a look at this :)

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/323427-bad-cravings-try.html
  • Kelly11
    Kelly11 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    As long as I know I am plenty full and have had the right nutrients for the day, I try to change my behavior when I'm craving a snack at night--focus my mind on something other than food. First, I drink some water or tea, and then I DO something. I paint my nails, do a chore I've been putting off, or take a bath!
  • slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Have a bachelor fridge, like me :) It has condiments and vegetables, some old moldy pepperoni that I need to toss, and some yogurt I should get around to eating eventually.

My pantry only has soups, canned vegetables, dry legumes, and baking ingredients.

Nothing really sweet to snack on. Well, there's some chocolate pudding, but I HATE pudding, so I won't touch it.

I bought a box of chocolate covered pretzels the other day and ate them ALL. So... I don't keep sweets in the house, and it keeps me in check.

ETA: I just realized you said you can't keep it out of the house. Sorry! I should have read the whole thread before replying :(
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth too. I've found that eating more natural sugars helps a lot. My go-to snack (at home, at least) is a spoonful of honey. 60 calories and usually kills my cravings.

I just ate a spoonful of honey for that reason this morning.
  • PHF58
    PHF58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    omg....I love chocolate, i have been off it for 10 weeks, then three days ago I hit the hershey kisses left over from valentine's day (damn these kids! lol)...I have regressed and I have to stop....help me :(