Activity Level on MFP? Help?

Options
Am I really considered Sedentary because I work a desk job... eventhough I do the following???

I work 8 hours, desk job, try walking around to get moving every couple hours.
I work out for 45-60 minutes 6 times a week.
At home after work i never allow myself to sit except for dinner... always up cooking cleaning etc
Weekends Im usually always on the go doing something.

Am I considered Sedentary if im active outside of work?

If not what would i consider myself? Lightly active? Help :)

Replies

• Slaci_Jo
    Slaci_Jo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Im trying to figure this out myself. I work out 5-6 days a week and am usually doing something in my free time.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    The scale here is horrible. I would say get yourself a pedometer and then you can work out averaged over a week what category you fall under.

I have a fit bit so I set mine to sedentary and let the fitbit take care of the difference,

Edited for typo
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    By the way LLLOOVVVVEEEE your profile pic!
  • rachealmiles
    Options
    The scale here is horrible. I would say get yourself a pedometer and then you can work out averaged over a week what category you fall under.

I have a fit bit so I set mine to sedentary and let the fitbit take care of the difference,

Edited for typo

I'm thinking if getting a fitbit. Are you happy with it?
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt worry, If you are starving on your calories change from sedentary to active or just change settings from loosing 2lb to 1/2lb and you will get better calorie goal and may loose more than 1/2lb a week anyway!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

Edited for typo

I'm thinking if getting a fitbit. Are you happy with it?

Yes I'm very happy with it. It's a nice surprise to see what I actually do.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I too just started with a fitbit to see what the deal is between my activity level and MFP and I love how the syncing between the two takes care of it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Am I really considered Sedentary because I work a desk job... eventhough I do the following???

I work 8 hours, desk job, try walking around to get moving every couple hours.
    I work out for 45-60 minutes 6 times a week.
    At home after work i never allow myself to sit except for dinner... always up cooking cleaning etc
    Weekends Im usually always on the go doing something.

Am I considered Sedentary if im active outside of work?

If not what would i consider myself? Lightly active? Help :)

The MFP method does not take into account your exercise. It does not trust that you are faithfully doing them so recommends that you log your exercise separately and then eat those calories back to avoid having too large a deficit. You could do this...or up your activity level on MFP but not log and eat your calories back...essentially the TDEE method. Maybe start with moderately active...if you're not seeing the results after a few weeks then dial it down to lightly active.

I personally don't think too many people are actually "sedentary" even if they work a desk job...maybe if you did that and just went home and sat on the couch or something...but I think most people move a lot more than that.