Homecooked meals

Options
So, I just joined yesterday afternoon and I have a question about homecooked meals. Since I basically cook my own meals (mostly dinner) how can I determine what to put in my food diary? For instance, Tuesday night I made beef stew and rice. The stew consists of a tomato base, corn, broccoli, carrots, green beans, and of course beef. How do I enter that? And even if I find something similar, how do I know the calorie count is right?

Thanks in advance for any help! =)

Replies

• crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    You can create your own recipe. Enter all the ingredients and number of servings viola - accurate calories
  • DistilledVixen
    DistilledVixen Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree...I just enter all the ingredients you used under Dinner or Lunch or whatever and there will be a "quick tools button" below....create meal and it will be saved to your recipes. Next time you have that same thing, you can go to your recipes and add meal. Love it..so easy :)
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can add a recipe on MFP. Under the Food tab, click the link Recipe, then click on the green "Create New Recipe" button - you indicate the number of servings, then enter all of the ingredients, and voila it's saved! The only fiddly part is that you can't easily edit the amounts of various ingredients once you've added them. (You would have to re-add the same ingredient with the correct amount.)
  • MsFree09
    MsFree09 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm eating some leftovers for lunch today so the "Create Recipe" option is great.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You can create your own recipe. Enter all the ingredients and number of servings viola - accurate calories

This is one of the best tools on the whole site, IMO. I do a lot of crockpot cooking and the recipe tool is perfect for that. Add everything in, guess on how many portions it will be and then adjust when you are done cooking if you have to. Super easy and very accurate calorie readings too.
  • xlnv03y
    Options
    I use the myfitnesspal app on my ipad, and i use the barcode scanner option a lot... after my "meal" is created, i save it for future use (because i usually freeze leftovers for later in the week or month)
  • MaxxieTibbyMom
    MaxxieTibbyMom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My next question is, how do you determine your serving size? Most recipe will say serve 4 but I don't think I always take out one serving at a time. Or maybe I should just estimate and relax?