For all the fellow word geeks out there...

Options
Im_NotPerfect
Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
15 words that are (probably) made up, but commonly used...

1. Administrate: A back-formation of administration and an unnecessary extension of administer

2. Commentate: A back-formation of commentator and an unnecessary extension of comment

3. Dimunition: Erroneous; the correct form is diminution (think of diminutive)

4. Exploitive: A younger, acceptable variant of exploitative

5. Firstly: As with secondly and thirdly, erroneous when enumerating points; use first and so on

6. Heighth: Rarely appears in print, but a frequent error in spoken discourse (Why isn't height modeled on the form of depth, length, and width? Because it doesn't shift in spelling and pronunciation from its associated term, tall, like the others, which are derived from deep, long, and wide, do. Neither do we say or write weighth.)

7. Irregardless: An unnecessary extension of regardless on the analogy of irrespective but ignoring that regardless, though it is not an antonym of regard, already has an antonymic affix

8. Miniscule: A common variant of minuscule, but widely considered erroneous

9. Orientate: A back-formation of orientation and an unnecessary extension of orient

10. Participator: Erroneous; the correct form is participant

11. Preventative: A common and acceptable variant of preventive

12. Societal: A variant of social with a distinct connotation (for example, "social occasion," but "societal trends")

13. Supposably: An erroneous variant of supposedly

14. 'Til: Also rendered til and till, an clipped form of until that is correct but informal English; use the full word except in colloquial usage

15. Undoubtably: An erroneous variant of undoubtedly

Replies

• dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Number 7 drives me up a wall.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    ...and my personal favorite: conversate. That 'word' makes me want to choke people.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    there is an amazingly appropriate group of memes I'd like to use here, but sadly one cannot drop the f bomb here and not get (deservitably) nuked.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    'Addicting' -_-

I like this list.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    ...and my personal favorite: conversate. That 'word' makes me want to choke people.

yes.

and even though it is now accepted, i still can't use "snuck"
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

but...

nvrmnd.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Love this! I saw this article the other day. There was only one on here I was unaware of...societal.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    13. Supposably: An erroneous variant of supposedly

Chandler: What if I never find someone? Or worse, what if I've found her, but I dumped her because she pronounced it ‘supposably?’

Joey: Supposably... Supposably... Did they go to the zoo? Supposably.
  • fitnessGETZeasy
    fitnessGETZeasy Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ugh, nails on a chalk board. I try really hard not to be that way, but seriously, some of these make me cringe!
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The three that drive me up the wall the most made it to your list: supposably, heighth and orientate. I thought I was crazy because EVERYONE uses "heighth" .... I almost Googled it to see if I was the incorrect person. Same with supposably,.... I thought it was a California thing (I'm originally from New York)... glad to see it's a countrywide thing! LOL!
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    7, 9, 13...these stress me for some reason! :huh:
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Love this list!

Amen to 'conversate' as well. I hear it way too much at work...it's hurts my ears.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Number 13 drives me bonkers!

Along the same lines as "fustrated."
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!

It also bothers me when people misuse the word "literally."

Example: "I am literally starving." No, you are not literally starving. You may be very hungry, yes, but you are not about to expire from your condition.
  • AmesMc1972
    AmesMc1972 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    #13 drives me nuts!
  • AmesMc1972
    AmesMc1972 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Number 13 drives me bonkers!

Along the same lines as "fustrated."

A girl in my office says "flustrated" :mad: :angry: :grumble: