Giving up Bread!

Options
For Lent I'm planning on giving up bread. I'm really nervous about it but I know it is a trigger food for me. Does anyone have any advice of how to deal with possible withdrawal and cravings?

Replies

• DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It is bread not heroin

You won't have any withdrawal
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    After the first day, it's behavioral. So, assuming you're religious (otherwise why practice Lent?) that is when you tap into your spiritual side.

You don't need bread, nutritionally. It's a comfort, it's easy, it tastes good, but you don't need it. It's a luxury - and it's pretty high calorie for the lack of real nutrition it provides.
  • blullb
    blullb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Its a head game! I LOVE LOVE LOVE breads, but i know they are just fillers with little nutritional value so you just have to be mentally strong enough to resist. It all depends how much you want to succeed at this. All the best, i understand its a hard thing to give up. Good luck:)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Wheat bread used to be a trigger problem for me too. I just cut it out cold turkey, BUT I substituted other healthy carbs, like 100% whole rye (sourdough raised) bread--this is such a dense bread that NO ONE could eat more than two pieces in a day. It has a unique fiber that makes it stay in your digestive tract longer AND it has been shown to help build muscle better when substituted for wheat bread. Another thing I eat is (organic) blue potato chips and blue corn chips--both are excellent sources of proanthocyanidins. My digestion improved a lot when I cut out wheat bread. I only felt better when I cut it out. When I smell freshly baked bread, I still sometimes want it mentally, but there is no physical craving after a day or so after cutting it out.
  • suzafied
    suzafied Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For Lent I'm planning on giving up bread. I'm really nervous about it but I know it is a trigger food for me. Does anyone have any advice of how to deal with possible withdrawal and cravings?

I try to not eat much wheat and gluten. For the most part it might not be bread that is your enemy... Try gluten free breads and pasta's. And noooo, all gluten free stuff isnt gross.. There has been so many improvements in gluten free items.

I have wheat occasionally, but I usually only buy brown rice pasta's as well as quinoa pasta. If I am going to have wheat bread, I make sure its spelt wheat.

Also there is a book called Wheat Belly. Its a good read..