Half Marathon Friends please!

Options
2»

Replies

• tap_0072
    tap_0072 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am running one in May, and I'm nervous!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first Half on Feb. 23. I love running friends, any of you feel free to add me!! And good luck to all of you!
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have done a couple of half marathons. I was training for a marathon last year, but was laid up with cellulitis. Now, I too, am training for a half marathon on April 7. Feel free to add me. Running buddies are always nice. :smile:
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! I've completed a number of half-marathons over the past year. Feel free to add me for some moral support.

As for any advice I might have...

1. Keep at it.
    2. Speed work (intervals, fartleks, tempo runs, etc.) will help with endurance. Seems weird, but it works.
    3. Find a good training program (I use SmartCoach from Runner's World, my wife uses Run Keeper) and stick to it.
    4. Speaking of training, make sure you cross-train and work on your core. You'd be surprised how much a strong core will help your running.

Hmm...probably nothing else that hasn't already been said, so, as I already said, good luck!
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just PR'ed my Half time last week! The half is a great distance!! The first 3 fly by, the last 3 are exciting. Its the miles in the middle that will get you. Run your race and dont concern yourself with other runners. Have a great time!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I have been training for 14 weeks and have already run a practice 13.11 miles. But I am currently resting do to hip pain from over use? I didn't think I ramped my miles too quickly b/c I was following Hal Higdon's novice1, but well..maybe it's my age :noway:

Anyway, I still plan on running the half on March 24th.....so, hopefully I will be back running/training next Tuesday.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My first half is on March 16th (5 weeks!!). So far I've gotten up to 12 miles (last weekend!).

I'm always looking for more runner friends! Feel free to add me!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'd say if I could run the 1/2, anyone could do it. I loathed running back in the day, but I got into a good routine and used a simple spreadsheet to help me train and keep schedule. It's a 16 week program and it worked for me. Before training I could hardly run 2 miles without getting gassed.

PM me if you'd like a copy of the spreadsheet.
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    I am also looking for Half Marathon friends. I will be doing my 3rd Half Marathon on 2/24. I call myself a "wogger. I am signed up to do another Half in May 2013. Support of friends is much appreciated!!
  • EricaRuns27
    EricaRuns27 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I did my first half about a month ago and I loved it! I have a hurt Achilles' tendon, but I'm gonna do anther Half later this year!
    I'm always looking for more running friends on here. Anyone feel free to add me.

I agree, I think after one half you become addicted. I can't wait to do another. ????
  • Runninglibrarian13
    Options
    My first half was last year in May.. and I also did one in Nov when I was recovering from bronchitis. Believe me, that one wasn't pretty!!! lol (Too bad too, the course was real flat... if I hadn't been sick I'm betting I would have had an awesome time.)

2:45:38 for the first one.... 3:07 something for the one with bronchitis. lol

Got a 17.75k (~11 miles) coming up at the end of March...then my 3rd half in May... would always welcome friends!

And currently I do a run/walk (no set intervals)...

My advice... gradual buildup of distance as other folks have recommended...and keep track of the miles on your shoes! I'll start getting odd cramps in the arches of my feet or calf pain...double check my mileage...and sure enough, my shoes are about shot! lol I don't know why it manages to take me by surprise each time!
  • jennieb75
    jennieb75 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half in May! Training is slow because I don't have set days to run due to night shift work and finding babysitting... But I'm working at it! Longest distance so far is 15km and I'm aiming for a time of 2:20... I need to work on my pace. I tend to go a little fast in the beginning and then crash later on. ;-). On the plus side... I just bought two new pairs of shoes and some better socks so hopefully they'll break in soon and I won't get any blisters/knee pain that I was seeing at the longer distances. :-)
    Good luck everyone!
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'll be running my first half on May 5th!

I'm looking for friends too, so feel free to add me!
  • LisaM_9
    LisaM_9 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am really interested in this! :)
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm "running" my 3rd half marathon at the end of March. My first one was a year ago and my goal was to finish - which I did and I was on a runner's high for days. My second was in December and I was on track to beat my previous time by 15 minutes or so.....well, that was until I got bronchitis. I did the race anyway but walked the majority of it - my time SUCKED but at least I finished. My goal for this third one is to redeem myself from the one in December.....I want to beat my previous PR by 15 minutes. Anyone feel free to add me. I love having MFP running buddies.
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Am about to start base training (again) and hope to complete my first 1/2 in August (first race on my Island) and then doing the Loch Ness Marathon late September. Ok, it seems a long way ahead but need to get some running practice in so will be keeping an eye on this thread.