Elliptical --- How in the world?

Options
akb2006
akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
I have been on MFP for 2 years now off and on! (YIKES) and am back above my starting weight. I had a baby 2 months ago and decided to purchase an elliptical to help me get into shape and hopefully shed these pounds for good. I started Tuesday and have been doing it every day but I can only do literally 2 minutes at a time (if that sometimes only a minute!!) before I need to take a break. I try doing 20 minutes (taking breaks every 2 minutes or 1 minute if i really have to) but after about 12 minutes I'm just DEAD and I have to stop. How can I build up my endurance and stanima on the elliptical? I feel like by doing it just for 10 minutes I'm not going to get real far but I know everyone has to start somewhere. Any advice or words of wisdom would be great!

Replies

• LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Keep going!!! You'll build up strenght and endurance just by "practicing" :)

Don't know if this was your first child or not, but I've learned that lesson (practice makes perfect) through all my kids TV shows lol. Such a simple concept that I wasn't taught growing up I'm afraid.

Edited to say: DUH, just saw you also have a two year old :) If you watch any of the preschool TV shows, "don't give up" & "practice practice practice" are one of the major themes in ANY kids TV show :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There should be a way to lower the resistance to make it as easy as walking, you might want to check the manual.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with eric. Some ellipticals start with the incline real high like you're walking uphill. I didn't realize this until one of the girls that works at my gym told me to lower the number. I did and it's easier, plus I can burn more calories 'cause I can go faster!!
  • PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I was the same way when I got mine, I found that the interval mode is easiest cause just as I am getting really tired the resistance goes back down. Good luck and congrats on the new baby!
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    After I had my first child, I used the elliptical to lose the weight. Sounds like you have the resistance too high. I would do low resistance and then do a 5 for about 10 min. and back and forth. I would do it for at least 45 min. if you're looking to lose some serious weight!
  • seventeenlucky77
    seventeenlucky77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried the Elliptical I lasted a whole 2 minutes. Now I usually do it for between 30-40 minutes at a time with no break. I started with a low super low resistance of like 2 or 3 and now I can do 10 mins at level 10 10 mins at level 15 and 10 mins back at level 10 (for a 30 minute workout). I NEVER thought it would be possible but I just started out low and slow and once my legs are arms got used to it I increased my speed and resistance. I've been on it almost everyday now for the past 6 weeks.
  • sweetrevenge
    sweetrevenge Posts: 188
    Options
    I JUST FINALLY CONQUERED THE ELLIPTICAL MACHINE TODAY. When I first started two weeks ago I could only go for 5 minutes. Then I could only go up to 5 minutes and 40 seconds. Then on Tuesday I just absolutely pushed myself and kept saying just 30 more seconds and before I knew it I was up to 10 minutes. Got off, rode the bike for a few minutes and got back on for 14 minutes, which was 50% of a full weight loss workout. I got on this morning and just mentally pushed and pushed and pushed and made it 100%, the entire 33 minutes. You just have to keep telling yourself that you can do it. Once you finally do it, you will feel AWESOME!!!! Good luck!
  • thendrick
    thendrick Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Even at low resistance I couldn't do more than 2 minutes either when I first tried it. It KILLED my thighs!
    I gradually added 1 minute per day and now I'm up to 30 minutes, twice a day. It really does get better!
  • doll2002
    doll2002 Posts: 427
    Options
    I was the same way when I first started on my ellipitical trainer. The way I builded my endurance was to work on it a little every day even if I could only stay for 2 minutes each time. Continue to make little steps and you will be able to stay on it longer. Trust me, I used to be in your shoes with the same problem at level 1. I have worked my way up to level 4 with no problems and still pushing to make it to level 10 which is the highest level for my elliptical. You can do it just stay with it.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've been working out on the elliptical twice a week for 3 months now. I had to start on Level 1 and I only went for about 10 minutes, after doing the treadmill for a little while. I decided to skip the treadmill since I realized how many calories the elliptical burns... its great! Just start on Level 1, no inclines or anything and work your way up in time and level. When a level felt too easy, I'd increase it one and if I got tired, I'd decrease it for the rest of the workout. Then I found the Hill workout where it is intervals and I LOVE that one. I'm doing it on Level 8 hills now for 45-55 minutes and I'm tired but not dead at the end of it. Slow and steady progress and you'll get there!
  • jennletty
    jennletty Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. It is challenging at the beginning but burns twice as many calories than the treadmill for the same amount of time. Just think, faster results.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    You are doing it right. Just add a minute each time and before you know it you will be doing 45 minutes with no hands!! :smokin:
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I got back on tonight hoping to get my 20 total minutes in and was able to do 8 minutes just on the lowest resistance setting. My legs were still burning and I had to take a couple short breaks but it was only for 10 seconds and then I was back at it. Not 10 minute breaks like I had to take before. I know I just need to be consistent with it and I'll be-able to do 40 minutes at once in no time.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I started at 5 minutes and then added a minute every day... worked well for me.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I started with the treadmill and worked up to the elliptical. Before I started working out, I could only elliptical for about 5 minutes before I thought I was going to die. Last night, I was able to do it for 73 (125rpm, no hands). I think it's all about building up your endurance.

You might try starting out slower. It's easy to go too fast when you first hop on, and wear yourself out too quickly. Even though you might feel like you're walking in slow motion, you should be able to last longer.

Also, as others have said, make sure the resistance isn't too high.

Hope that helps!
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    The first time I hopped on one, about a month and a half ago, I could only do 3 minutes. On Monday night, I did 25 mins straight. I was psyched! I workout at the gym, so I don't use the eliptical everytime, but I'm proud of the progress I've made. I haven't even added in the arms yet... just legs. We'll get there... like the others said, practice and positive self-talk! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I got back on tonight hoping to get my 20 total minutes in and was able to do 8 minutes just on the lowest resistance setting. My legs were still burning and I had to take a couple short breaks but it was only for 10 seconds and then I was back at it. Not 10 minute breaks like I had to take before. I know I just need to be consistent with it and I'll be-able to do 40 minutes at once in no time.

The good news is, that you burn more calories at this stage of your exercise. Once your body gets used to the movements, it will adjust.

I always think of the farmer who goes out to lift his 1st bale of hay. He can barely lift it and needs help from the other snickering farmers to get the bale up into the truck. By the end of a week or 2 he is able to get it in there. By week 3 he can throw it up into the truck.

This farmer has not built up enough muscle to look like the Incredible Hulk........his body has adjusted to what it is required to do (awesome machine, huh??)
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Last April I tried the elliptical for the frst time. I was out of town on business and used one in the hotel because I was afraid of looking like a fool in front of the people at my gym. I was worn out quickly.

Last weekend, I did 90 minutes with the resistance at 13. It felt awesome