Ugh. My body is a jerk.

Options
I've been trying to lose weight for years now. My struggle gets more difficult with each passing year. For my current exercise routine, I walk 3-4 miles three times a week, and sixty minutes of boxing twice a week. Diet wise, I avoid most carbs. Most of my meals are made up of veggies and proteins. Because of a history of kidney stones, I mostly drink water with the exception of the occasional iced tea with lemon.

My problem is that my weight never goes down. I tend to gain at least three pounds a week (I gained six last week). I'd be happy if my weight simply stayed the same. It doesn't. At this point in my life my main goal is to be healthy. Unfortunately, my triglycerides are always very high, my blood pressure is high (I'm on a diuretic to control the blood pressure), and my blood sugar is always either very high or very low. My doctor sent me to a nutritionist who advised me that I wasn't eating enough carbs according to the food guide. I added the carbs into my diet and gained 10 pounds in a week.

Yesterday I had a hamburger for lunch (the only variation in my diet for the day) and I gained six pounds.

I realize that I shouldn't depend on the reading of the scale, but my clothes are getting tighter and tighter. My belly is getting bigger and arms getting flabbier.

It seems that my body is a jerk.

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should make your diary public.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You will not get comments unless your diary is public.
  • mollylookalike
    mollylookalike Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be weighing yourself daily - stick to once a week or two weeks, and weigh at the same time (morning, before you eat anything is best!) on the same day of the week.

EDIT: Hide your scale - put it in the closet, under the bed - so you don't feel the need to weigh yourself every time you walk into the bathroom or kitchen. Out of sight, out of mind.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I had that problem and it was a food intolerance problem. No matter what I did, I could not loose. I cut out gluten, lost 10 pounds the first week. I think that 6 pounds is water.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    have you had your thyroid levels checked recently? It would be helpful to see your diary :) even if you only open for a little so we can help. I agree with others and cut back on weighing so much.

also if you take any medications weight gain could be a side effect.

6 pounds ffrom a cheese burger...hope it was good :laugh:
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    I had that problem and it was a food intolerance problem. No matter what I did, I could not loose. I cut out gluten, lost 10 pounds the first week. I think that 6 pounds is water.

yep that too!! ^ if you are eating things that don"t agree with your body even if they are healthy foods they can cause some people to not gain weight and others to not loose.
  • dq_diva
    Options
    have you had your thyroid levels checked recently?

^this ..... and not just a TSH test but free T3 and free T4 as well.

Good luck!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    There is no way you gained 6 pounds from one hamburger. You would have to eat 21000 calories above your TDEE to gain 6 pounds. But if you are in fact gaining weight (not water retention from sodium and/or inflamed muscles) then perhaps you are not measuring your food properly or are not eating at the right caloric limit. Do some research, stick to the program and be patient.

Below is a good source of info:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    There is no way you gained 6 pounds from one hamburger.

ummm... (awkward silence)

huge-hamburger-500x332.jpg
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    There is no way you gained 6 pounds from one hamburger.

ummm... (awkward silence)

huge-hamburger-500x332.jpg

Well...maybe THAT one!
  • EyesOfTheWOrld
    Options
    Welcome to the community. Assuming you are also counting calories and remain within the caloric limits for losing weight, there could be other issues impacting your weight. Gluten and thyroid issues were already mentioned. For your triglycerides, sugar and blood pressure to be impacted as you describe, I would also investigate a good endocrinologist and allergist. Get tested. I am not a doctor and would not attempt to diagnose but having gone through similar issues and now working on my diabetes, those are not issues to be taken lightly.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. I doubt you ate a 6-pound hamburger. And sorry, but you'd have to eat an extra 35,000 calories in a week to gain 10 pounds... somehow I don't see that being the problem. I mean, honestly? Maybe you need a new doctor. And a new nutritionist. The one's you've seen obviously haven't helped.

Maybe you have an intolerance to something? Maybe there's a different underlying medical reason for the weight?

Anyway, I'm not sure you're going to get legitimate help from the internet, except for a gentle push saying to go to some experts. Good luck :)