Intermittent fasting

Options
Finally watched the horizon show eat, fast and live longer (behind the times I know!!) I have high risk of both cancer and heart issues coming up due to the majority of people in my family so thinking of starting the whole 5:2 diet plan and was just wondering what others had heard or thought about it

Replies

• maa59115
    maa59115 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It can work for some people better than others. The Hodgetwins are twin brothers that have a youtube channel and have had great success with it. I think it's just something you have to try to find out for yourself.
  • NatWillBeSkinny
    NatWillBeSkinny Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    im doing it at moment lost half a stone in two weeks but there so much stuff said about it on here it gets me all confused so im jus sticking to the simple fast two days and eating 1200 calories on non fast days
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've just started this myself... not the 5:2 diet per se, but fasting a few days a week. I have dropped 3 lbs this week, but I can't say difinitively that it's from the fasting. The 5:2 diet makes sense to me, and I just read that it can help with blood sugar regulation which is a huge concern to me. I will be continuing this to see how it goes.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I don't just think or know, it is a proven fact that fasting is beneficial for the body. I do intermittent fasting occasionally and I've found it is hard (obviously, I love to eat, lol). I'm not quite sure about what their diet plan is, but I know about intermittent fasting and if you're healthy enough at the moment (like you checked with your doc about this and everything), you should try it, it's not going to hurt you. I say give it a shot, if you don't like it then just don't do it anymore, at least you'd have tried it to know. :)
  • baotzu
    baotzu Posts: 28
    Options
    Intermittent fasting / Leangains (what the Hodge twins do) is good and works.

This 5:2 junk that I keep seeing over here on MFP that involves 500 cal starvation 2 days a week is beyond stupid. And it's inefficient.
  • trevorbarkas
    Options
    Just finish week 2 so day 4 on this and it seems to be going ok
    I have dropped about 4 pounds but I also work out at the gym or home almost every day
    It is hard work on your fast days, as 600 cals is very few, but just keeping busy takes mind and hunger pangs away I find
  • prudism
    prudism Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I did a continuous 4 fast first 2 days 12 hours 6am till6pm
    today was a 24 hour fast 6pm last evening till 6pm today feeling ok so far lets see what tomorrow brings
  • NatWillBeSkinny
    NatWillBeSkinny Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    whats the diffrence in what the twin do to the 5:2 diet??
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    i did IF for over 5 months and nothing changed , i felt like DEATH all the time and struggled to hit my macros . its NOT a miracle but certainly does work for some people .. im not one of them . so try it out for yourself .
  • baotzu
    baotzu Posts: 28
    Options

IF/LG - Fasting 16 hrs then eating all your meals in 8 hours (or 20/4, etc there are variations)

vs

5:2 - Starving yourself for 2 days a week and eating like a normal human the other 5
  • pinkspanglystar
    pinkspanglystar Posts: 35 Member
    Options

IF/LG - Fasting 16 hrs then eating all your meals in 8 hours (or 20/4, etc there are variations)

vs

5:2 - Starving yourself for 2 days a week and eating like a normal human the other 5

You can still eat on the fast days, you just reduce the cals to 500 for women and 600 for men.
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I recently started a thread about the 5-2 Diet and there were some pretty good posts, help and opinions in it:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/874871-5-2-diet-your-opinions

(Also, if you saw the documentary by Mosley - he also wrote a book - if you are really interested and decide to do it later on, maybe. It's called The Fast Diet.)