Replies

• MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Soup and salad. It's a staple for me.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    beans and brown rice are practically free. Leaves me with some left over money to buy frozen and fresh produce, as well as some low fat dairy like cottage cheese or eggs.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Fresh anything adds cost so stick to frozen versus canned when fresh is too costly. I add frozen veggies and fruits with just about every meal. Chicken can be quite inexpensive. Cucmbers and celery are great inexpensive staple snacks for me. Tuna is a fantastic source of protein and very inexpensive, mix with mayo and onion for a tasty salad tht you can put on your celery or add the celery to it and put it on a slice of bread. buy meats in bulk, separate into servings and freeze...
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    I've taken many recipes from this site and adapted them to my taste and health choices. Most are pretty basic and you get an idea on cost up front.

http://budgetbytes.blogspot.ca/
  • Vlly4life15
    Vlly4life15 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I find chicken breasts on sale sadly no sales recently
  • bridgetzc
    bridgetzc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We buy frozen fruit at Costco. It cuts down on food waste because it takes longer to go bad. I use it in smoothies. I also buy greens in bulk for smoothies and I freeze them for smoothies. I like this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/brown-rice-broccoli-cheese-and-walnut-surprise/
  • rbekkelund
    rbekkelund Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Homemade burgers with Boca instead of meat, turkey hot dogs all of this on wheat buns or use lettece instead of the buns. Soups and salads are always a go to for me. Good luck!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My go-to easy dinner is a pile of roasted vegetables with brown rice and beans. Add baked tofu or chicken/meat per your preference and sales. I usually cook a big batch of everything and have plenty leftovers for lunch. Seasoning is your friend - garlic, mustard, vinegar, hot sauce, spices, herbs, etc. Some things look expensive in big jars but a little bit adds a lot of flavor and you can slowly build up a good collection over time as your finances allow.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It's not a meal, but one of the tastiest, most wallet-friendly foods is Kale. It's considered a superfood, loaded with antioxidants and vitamins. My grocery store usually has it for $0.99 - $1.99 a pound. Last time I grabbed a bunch it was $0.17 (yes, you read that right). I recently discovered a pound of precut, prewashed kale for $2.99. The bag was three times the size of one of those bags of ready made salad. I make kale chips, which satisfies my cravings for crunchy, salty foods (aka chips).
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Veggie omelettes.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    It's not a meal, but one of the tastiest, most wallet-friendly foods is Kale. It's considered a superfood, loaded with antioxidants and vitamins. My grocery store usually has it for $0.99 - $1.99 a pound. Last time I grabbed a bunch it was $0.17 (yes, you read that right). I recently discovered a pound of precut, prewashed kale for $2.99. The bag was three times the size of one of those bags of ready made salad. I make kale chips, which satisfies my cravings for crunchy, salty foods (aka chips).

Kale chips you say? do tell more
  • Kathymomof4
    Options
    Four to five times a week, I get an egg white with turkey, no bread from Subway with all the vegetables you want with nonfat honey mustard. It costs a $1.08 for all of that.
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    i'll buy a hunk of meat and cook it in my crock pot.

I recently bought a pork loin and cooked it with pineapple and teriyaki. The meat cost less then 10 dollars for 2.5 pounds and served over rice it went pretty far.