Is bread really stalling me?:(

Options
How many people on here would have bread everyday? Just wondering i've seen people say they are trying to give it up for lent and i'm thinking maybe i should try to cut down is bread what is really stalling my weight loss....term wheat belly comes to mind, i'm really trying to tone up my stomach and i'm beginning to think bread has a big part to play in this....any ideas?

Replies

• susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I eat homemade WW bread every day and am losing at a slow but steady rate.
  • tanyakay87
    tanyakay87 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Most definitely the case for me.

I was on Dax Moy recently, and I gave up bread for 30 days, I dropped weight like mad. It happened last time I was on there too.

The best thing I do now, is to make bread in the bread machine at home, or buy freshly baked bread from the bakery section in the supermarkets. Avoid the packed stuff, it has so many preservatives and added rubbish in it. xx
  • TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have not had bread for over a month. I really believe that some people can't handle it and I think I am one of them. I have a couple of sisters, that believe the same. one has lost 85 lbs, by cutting out bread and white products and has maintianed her weight for over 2 years. the other sister has not had bread for over 5 months and has lost almost 70 lbs. I have read the book "Wheat Belly" and it really opens your mind.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Many people have undiagnosed gluten sensitivity. If you think this might be you, try cutting ALL gluten out of your food (it's in a lot more things than bread) for a few weeks and see how you feel. If you tolerate gluten just fine, bread won't be "stalling" your weight loss if you are eating within a reasonable calorie goal.
  • dyousif99
    Options
    I hear ya! Everyone loves bread especially warm along with cheese and wine. Along with WW and home made, try whole grain, not whole wheat. It is way healthier and less fills you up a little more.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Look at the whole picture -- what are you replacing bread with? I stopped eating sandwiches at lunch and swtiched to salad bar (no dressing). The bread itself is not unhealthy, it's just that the raw veggies are so much better in terms of calories and fiber.

If you switched bread for mashed potatoes, I don't think you'd see much change.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I eat bread virtually every day, sometimes for two meals. It doesn't cause me any issues at all.
  • maggiestoecker
    Options
    when i'm really focused on dropping pounds (not just eating healthy) bread is the worst thing for me to eat. i can honestly eat candy every single day (keeping within my calories of course) and still lose weight but bread just kills me.
    i've found what others have already said, IF i eat bread it has to be as whole grain as possible. also, i can't eat it after 2 or 3 in the afternoon or else my weight is up the following day, regardless of being under my calories goal or how much exercise i got in.
    i only discovered this after lots of trial & error. hopefully you can find a way to still enjoy bread & lose weight. good luck!
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that requires you to limit such foods, there is no need to avoid it provided you are hitting your calorie goals and you are getting sufficient fats and proteins.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that requires you to limit such foods, there is no need to avoid it provided you are hitting your calorie goals and you are getting sufficient fats and proteins.

This.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

This this this.
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I eat bread, I lost weight, no problem!

I guess you can try it but it's up to you and how much you like bread.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    it might be hurting you. if your eating at a calorie defecit you should be losing, but honestly bread is worse then candy.

really it is, its got a much higher GI then chocolate anyway.

Supposedly there are low glycemic breads that you can make yourself that taste good, but any thing you get from the store is like card board.

I was not very happy when i cut out bread, then i realized it was really just a vessel to shove peanut butter down my throat lol
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I was a breadaholic, but I just cut down to 1 or 2 slices a day if that. It has definitely helped with the weightloss journey.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    some foods just have a psychological hold on people (ahem, peanut butter, cough)

some people might want to avoid certain foods purely for this reason and not so much about the nutritional aspects of the food

ideally one would want to over come that and indeed must to really succeed... but you don't win the war right away and sometimes you need to pic your battles.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If I have homemade or bakery bread I will eat the whole loaf....so in that sense it's not good lol.
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How many people on here would have bread everyday? Just wondering i've seen people say they are trying to give it up for lent and i'm thinking maybe i should try to cut down is bread what is really stalling my weight loss....term wheat belly comes to mind, i'm really trying to tone up my stomach and i'm beginning to think bread has a big part to play in this....any ideas?

I doubt that bread is the culprit, but if you're curious try cutting it out for a month and see if it helps. I do have a wheat/gluten sensitivity, and cut grains from my diet in September. While this has certainly helped with...other issues...I've found no difference when it comes to weight loss. I was losing weight at roughly the same rate May-August as I am now after eliminating grains from my diet in September.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your helpful responses! :)...nice to know there is others in the same boat aswell.

This this this.

Makes sense, i am aware i need to up my protein though.
    And also only 1-2 slices of bread a day so i have limited myself much more than i used too, may try limit it a bit more for some time just to see if there is any changes, not really in weight but moreso how i feel myself.
    Thanks for advice anyway!
  • sammyc59
    Options
    On Jan 2, 2013 I decided to take bread and sugar out of my diet and the weight is falling off.