How do you resist your cravings?

Options
I mean, with certain things I know that there is substitutes but ...

Some things? There isn't.

I live with my parents. My dad always orders food. Last night was Pepperoni Pan Pizza from Pizza Hut, chicken alfredo, mariana sauce pasta, breadsticks and cinnamon sticks. I did not touch the breadsticks or cinnamon sticks but I ate everything else. All I had was one piece of pizza and a scoop of each pasta. But it added up around 700 calories.

How do you resist it when it's right there? I have no will power.

Replies

• Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Living at home can makle it more difficult but I would suggest buying your own food ot keep on hand, if possible. Outside of that, make smaller portions and drink more water to help curb the appetite. If you can't purchase your own foods for thepantry then minimally request that your parents consider your wishes and keep more frozen veggies and fruits on hand for you to have available.
  • kriney72
    Options
    I have a similar problem with that also, except I have a spouse that has no intentions of eating healthy, so the house if full of chips, and pizza and junk. I do try to have some food seperate but I don't like a lot of fruits and veggies, so not sure I'm doing much better, plus I have a terrible sweet tooth. Could use any suggestions on that.
  • melissawebb432
    melissawebb432 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Eat slow and drink alot of water. I get small helpings and most of the time the other food is eaten when im done eating slowly
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just take smaller servings that what I did in the past. You can make it work. Buffets are my difficulty, but it is doable.
  • Davy_RockHit214
    Davy_RockHit214 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    when temptations arise I like to look at other peoples success pictures on here, sure is a motivator. I also continue to log everything no matter how brutal it may be. I know that when people put temptations in my face I wont be able to fight it so I usually avoid it if at all possible. Or sometimes I only eat one bite and then drink about a gallon of water lol
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Find the willpower. Leave the room, don't be home when that crap is getting delivered. Go try a bikini on.
  • brwnsuga6
    brwnsuga6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Make you a big nice salad, with full flavor dressing. After eating the salad (with plenty of water) cut a slice of pizza in half, and get one spoon of each pasta. Try to fill up on the salad as much as possible. Soon you'll find the salad to be not only as filling but as tasty as other foods. Try adding different healty toppings to your salad like low fat cheese, sunflower seeds and avocado (MUFA's) dried cranberries, etc... Don't be scared to taste and experiment.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Drink some water or tea, eat a big salad, go for a walk. By the time you get back your dad will have eaten it all.

Or, just do what you did. Eat a small amount if you really love it. Sounds like you know in advance when this food shows up so you can plan for it, eating fewer calories throughout the day.

Also, ask yourself: am I really craving it? Do I REALLY want it? Or is "craving" this food just a habit?
  • anjsdav
    anjsdav Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the name of my game. I also try to eat smaller portions. I will still eat the pizza but only 1 slice or get the 5 piece wing instead of the 10 piece and substitute grilled for fried when I can. It took awhile but I am back to eating portions like I did before I gained the weight ;) and not trying to change my natural tendency. I have embraced my grazing nature and now I "graze" on healthy snacks like granola bars, protein bars or shakes, fresh fruits, peanut butter (in moderation!), yogurt, etc. Hope this helps you find what works for you.
  • bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    First and for most you did nothing wrong. If you have guilt about giving into temptation stop it! This does nothing for you. You should eat the things that you love. Try this take that slice of pizza and cut it in half and eat the same amount of a veggie first. Do the same with the pasta. You cut that 700 in half and fill full with the added bonus of satisfaction. I call it unhealthy food is my reward for eating right. As you move forward it will get easier. Oh and if you can walk around block before you eat. It signals your brain to switch direction.
  • lnd4553
    lnd4553 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with most of the comments. Make sure you eat slow because if you eat too quickly you're not giving your body enough time to tell you that it's full. Also which really helps me out a lot, if I want a little something sweet at the end of the day I make sure I do some sort of exercise. It'll motivate you to exercise more because it adds on calories to how much you can eat. And you don't need to go to the gym to get exercise in. There's a good fitness app (if you have a smartphone) called Workout Trainer. Most of the workouts are free to do, mostly within 15-20 of exercise all with different difficulty levels. Although even if I exercise I still don't use all my calories. You just have to remember you have a goal. Do NOT deprive yourself of the foods you want. If you want a fast food meal make it only one meal on the weekend as your splurge. If you completely cut yourself off you'll be less motivated to keep going. Also maybe with the slice of pizza instead of the pasta make yourself a hearty spinach salad or have a piece of fruit with it. Fruit and vegetables have a lot of fiber and few calories which will make you feel full. Stick in there! Enjoy and work hard for that healthy lifestyle :-)
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I don't have many cravings, except for the occasional chocolate... and I don't resist those, rather I manage them by having small amounts of it in my diet within my macros.
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    Pizza is my biggest temptation! No way will I give it up! Lol

I plan for it in advance, make sure I do some exercise before hand, and only indulge once per week. If you plan things correctly, you can have your pie (or pizza) and eat it! :bigsmile:
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't. I look at my diary, and if I can afford it, I eat it. It's like when I go shopping. If I see something I want, and I have the money for it, why wouldn't I buy it?
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Keeping the food diary really helps. Knowing that whatever you eat, you have to log, and stare the calories in the face (when you resist, try to feel virtuous! Everyone else is in diet hell, but not you!). Also drink a lot of water, hot tea, iced tea, coffee, low calorie sports drinks (without adding sugar, of course). Keep those raw fruits and vegetables on hand and eat them FIRST before reaching for the evil foods. In between meals, chew gum.
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't have "cravings". My problem is, I just like food. Addiction runs in my family and mine just so happens to be food, which you cannot live without. But I am doing better!
  • angelacarmela0830
    angelacarmela0830 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend eats anything and everything under the sun. When I see him go for a bag of chips, I reach for fresh fruit. When he has a large meal I eat a small salad before I start eating my smaller portions. It helps. Good luck!:smile:
  • tatyajansen
    tatyajansen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When my dad went through Air Force basic training (one hundred million years ago lol), they told them they could eat whatever they wanted as long as they drank a quart of water first. By the time most of them drank that water, they felt too sick to eat the junk food.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Gum :)
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    With that temptation, I would have had to leave the house. I couldn't of resisted!