CROSSFIT - HELP ME PLEASE :)

Options
Hey everyone.

I have used myfitnesspal before but no I am back to loose what i call vanity pounds! I always weighed around 119lbs but about a year ago or more i went up to 154lbs and I am 5ft 2" (25 years old) I recently lost it again after alot of diet and exercise and feel pretty ok with my body. I weigh 124lbs now. I would like to get down to 115 - 119lbs just so i feel comfortable. Seems pretty small but for my height I think this will be good for me.

Anyway to the point of the topic, Crossfit! I recently saw a youtube video linked from the Australian trainer of the biggest loser, The Commando! I will post it down below so you can see what I am talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zvqNHDTf8Y

I personally think these women look amazing. For me personally its not the body building kind of look...if that makes any sense. I don't know what everyone would define as the "body building" look but you might know what I mean. I think body builders are amazing and dedicated but personally the look isnt for me.

I really want to CrossFit but the problem I have is that there are NO crossfit gyms near me at all :( Does anybody have personal experience with CrossFit and could I create my own CrossFit training in a normal gym? I know I may be limited at what I can do but I just think I would love to try it and see if I couls sculpt my body this way.

Also does anyone have any advice to offer on the kind of diet I would need to be on? My body fat % is currently 22%.

Sorry for the long winded post but if anyone has any advice to offer it would be much appreciated!

Apologies in advance for any spelling/gammar mistake! :P

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You can try wodathome.com.

But be aware that Crossfit and similar workouts can be dangerous without the proper training and supervision.

Also, Paleo and Crossfit often go hand-in-hand as far as diet.
  • stacw1987
    stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You can try wodathome.com.

But be aware that Crossfit and similar workouts can be dangerous without the proper training and supervision.

Also, Paleo and Crossfit often go hand-in-hand as far as diet.

Yes when I looked at the Crossfit gyms they often have supervision :(

Do you have personal experience with CrossFit?

Will try the website thanks :)
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    here's the crossfit mainsite http://www.crossfit.com/, they will give you a workout of the day (WOD). Beginners will need to scale it down quite a bit usually. A lot of things may be difficult to do in a regular gym or at home but if you read the comments you will see people asking for substitutions for movements which are helpful. Such as when HSPU's (hand stand push ups) as programmed you could do some sort of shoulder press instead.

Definitely look at the videos for each exercise on the site and make sure you keep your form correct, don't injure yourself.

Most crossfitters I know go for a zone diet. 40/30/30 (40% of calories to carbs, 30% each to fat and protein).

Theres also a crossfit group here on MFP, do a search in groups.

Good Luck
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

Yes when I looked at the Crossfit gyms they often have supervision :(

Do you have personal experience with CrossFit?

Will try the website thanks :)

I have several friends involved and have looked at gyms. I just have an issue with the cost.

BTW, Crossfit gyms (boxes) ALWAYS have supervision. That's part of the reason the cost is so high.

I'm considering switching my routine over to the wodathome. Just haven't taken the plunge yet.
  • stacw1987
    Options
    here's the crossfit mainsite http://www.crossfit.com/, they will give you a workout of the day (WOD). Beginners will need to scale it down quite a bit usually. A lot of things may be difficult to do in a regular gym or at home but if you read the comments you will see people asking for substitutions for movements which are helpful. Such as when HSPU's (hand stand push ups) as programmed you could do some sort of shoulder press instead.

Definitely look at the videos for each exercise on the site and make sure you keep your form correct, don't injure yourself.

Most crossfitters I know go for a zone diet. 40/30/30 (40% of calories to carbs, 30% each to fat and protein).

Theres also a crossfit group here on MFP, do a search in groups.

Good Luck

Thank you very much! :) Really appreciate all the information :)
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    agree with Jimmie.. be careful with the exercises if you have not been trained.. while they may appear pretty easy, olympic style lifting is actually quite technical and takes a good teacher to help you get the moves down. This is not a bash against crossfit!! While I do not do the crossfit WOD's, I was a member of a crossfit gym for some time as a frequent business traveler, and met some great people there. I joined because it was one of the only "olympic lifting friendly" gyms in that city. The problem that I have with home crossfit, is the same issue I have with P90X and other programs. I see that beginners have a pretty bad tendency to have NO clue where their body is and need good instruction/supervision to make sure they are learning proper form. If its still something you "need" to do, then consider filming yourself, and critically evaluate your form against what you see on the video's or online.

as far as diet.. i will agree that paleo is popular with crossfit people in general, but if that particular type of eating does not suit you, then pick something that does. Virtually all of the big diets will have you clean up your diet, lower in fat (but not zero), avoid sugars or foods with a big glycemic load, avoid soda's and fruit juices (empty calories) and eat lots of veggies.. The thing to remember is that we want to find a style of eating and exercise that we can maintain for the rest of our lives.. Its pretty easy to go strict for a short time, work out 2 times a day and eat super strict.. but can you keep it up or will you watch the weight creep back when you stop? I once lost weight doing BFL and drinking shakes a couple of times a day, but i could not keep that up and wanted actual food.. just find what works for you and that you can live with.

Best of luck, Have fun!
    Mike
  • stacw1987
    Options
    Thanks Mike!

Your advise makes alot of sense and I do need to think of a diet that I would keep up long term. I think just clean eating is the way forward.

I SO wish there was a good crossfit gym near me! Grrrrrr :mad: