Nursing

Options
I'm new on here and really excited to start my weight loss plan! I am currently nursing and I'm guessing I should add extra calories per day, but I'm just not sure how many. Any suggestions??

Replies

• TJ26
    TJ26 Posts: 35
    Options
    I believe that it is 500 and that is without supplimenting with formula. At least that is what my midwife told me..good luck!
  • DevonLigotti
    DevonLigotti Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am a NICU nurse, and I've always been told 500 as well.
  • KalB
    KalB Posts: 42
    Options
    Wow this looks like its going to be the ditto thread. I lived in two different states Wisconson for my first kid. and here in Vegas for my second and both places said about 500. Remember to get that calcium in you hun.
  • jljune
    jljune Posts: 59
    Options
    Hi and WELCOME!! When I was exclusively nursing and my baby was not eating very much solid foods, I would add 500 calories to my daily routine as an exercise I labeled 'breastfeeding'. Since when you add exercises to your 'my exercises' it asks you how long you do this particular exercise, as he got older and older I would just cut down on the time and MFP would re-*kitten* the calories. When my baby was about 10 months old and was eating a lot of foods, I cut it down to about 300 calories. Now he is 14 months and still nurses a few times a day and I enter anywhere from 75 to 150 calories depending on how much in a day he does nurse. I hope that makes sense to you. Some people just adjust their daily goals so it adds in the extra calories automatically instead of having to enter it EVERY DAY but I like being in control of the daily entry and the calories.

I would also like to praise you for making such a wonderful choice to nurse your baby. Keep it up!!
  • hearts3134
    hearts3134 Posts: 19
    Options
    The 500 calorie figure is what I've found online too. However, I'm exclusively nursing my 4 month old twins, does anyone know if I should add in 500 for EACH of them, or something between 500 and 1,000?

I like the idea of adding it into the exercise though, I think I'll try that especially since they are starting to eat some cereal and drinking juice too. :)