So when you are Sick? What do you do?

Options
Do whatever it takes to get better? and dont look at the calories and the carb, fat, etcs?
Do you watch your calories? eat the food, you should eat?

What if you arent hungry? Do you force yourself to eat?
or eat liquid food? such as soup and tea and water of course maybe some ginger ale and sprite or 7-up?

What do you do?
Maybe it will help me to figure out from you guys experience.

Thanks in Advance

Fabiola
xxx

Replies

• MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    shut 'er down! ...BUT dont let it be an excuse to eat unhealthy things... far too many people I know always compromise their efforts by eating "comfort" foods when they're sick. Concentrate on getting well by resting and nourishing your body. Rest is key. Keep up the water intake.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I got food poisoning last month before my birthday and I ended up just drinking a lot of water and about 2 cans of chicken broth (just to have some kind of nutrient in me). I was super under calories but just wrote in my notes that I'd gotten food poisoning, threw up half my day's food and wasn't planning on eating anything else.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body and eat what I feel like eating (within reason, of course!).
    But always, ALWAYS push fluids, regardless!

As for exercise, I follow the general rule that if the cold affects me from the chest down, I absolutely do NOT exercise. It can actually make you sicker!
    http://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/working-out-with-cold
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    drink lots of OJ and soup
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Rest up!

As far as nutrition goes, eat or don't eat being mindful of nutrients you need and stay hydrated.

Feel better! :flowerforyou:
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I've had this crud in my head and chest all day. Finally decided it's probably best to not workout and rest. I have noticed that soup has a lot of sodium in it!
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I've had this crud in my head and chest all day. Finally decided it's probably best to not workout and rest. I have noticed that soup has a lot of sodium in it!

yes they do. and its sucks >.<
    we actually got a natural chicken broth at him and its very low on sodium which i am happy about.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    shut 'er down! ...BUT dont let it be an excuse to eat unhealthy things... far too many people I know always compromise their efforts by eating "comfort" foods when they're sick. Concentrate on getting well by resting and nourishing your body. Rest is key. Keep up the water intake.

i wont, i know my limits on the food that i should be eating when im sick. i dont eat things when im sick, i try to avoid things that will keep my sick longer. (junk food is outta the questions and comfort food) i try to eat what i know will help when im sick. :)
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    thanks everyone this will help me get a few ideas how i should do this :)
  • daniellevility
    Options
    take care of yourself!!! if your body cant keep food in or nothing seems appetizing (i dont know if you are veggie or not... i personally am and vegetable broth with a little lime juice... ironic i know... sits great) chicken soup with noodles and carrots (homemade is the best!) will usually do the trick.. healthy, low fat, low cal, warm, nutrient filled and will satisfy for a long time =)
    hot tea with honey is awesome or a serving of sorbet or ice cream if you have a sore throat =)
    smile!!!! and sun and fresh air!! lol
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I have a chest and head cold. My taste buds are shot and have had NO appetite all week - I'm barely making my daily calories... I'm not worrying too much about it, trying to focus on feeling better, but my dietician advised to pick up the calories by eating a handful of nuts or drinking a protein shake prepared with coconut milk, so I'll give it a whirl.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,571 Member
    Options
    Do whatever it takes to get better?
    Yep. It's a drag getting sick, but first and foremost, you have to get better. I hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • AmiKayser
    AmiKayser Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great question and I appreciate the words of wisdom... the first thought that popped into my head was "whine and complain" but don't think that helps :o) Hope you feel better!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,571 Member
    Options
    Great question and I appreciate the words of wisdom... the first thought that popped into my head was "whine and complain" but don't think that helps :o) Hope you feel better!
    Sometimes it helps for a little bit! :wink:
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    thanks everyone :D
    means a lot <3
    ill get better soon :)
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what kind of sick you are
    Colds and flue, chicken noodle soup, tea with honey, spicy food, oranges, bell peppers (vit C)
    Stomach flue: dry toast, cammimile tea, syrup of cola over ice, pretzels or salt sticks if you throw up a lot or have diareah ( replentish the electrolites) Gator aide
    I was brought up in Germany and those are the things we ate when we were sick and I raised my kids on those too
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    thanks gabi :)